Wiki Posts
Search

LH Dropping last leg on return ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

LH Dropping last leg on return ?

Hi everyone,

I am flying LH on a return segment in December : BOS - FRA - TUN. However, my plans have changed and I am not going to TUN anymore but to London instead.
Do you think I can drop the last leg (FRA - TUN) of the ticket and buy a new ticket from FRA to London without any problem?

I will have a checked bag, but since the layover is supposed to be long (4h) between the BOS - FRA and FRA - TUN segments, I think the check-in agent will allow me to check the bag only as far as FRA, right?

Thank you so much in advance for your advice!

Last edited by Rednacks; Nov 13, 2018 at 3:08 pm
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: Flying Blue/Platinum, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, LH/FTL, Marriott/Platinum
If I understand it right, your return ticket will be the following sequence: BOS-FRA-TUN(LON)-FRA-BOS? If this is the case and that you decide to no show your FRA-TUN flight, your remaining TUN-FRA-BOS will be automatically canceled, and you won't be able to use them.

Also, pretty sure they won't allow you to short-check with a non-overnight, 4 hour only layover in FRA, unless you have extraordinary reasons to convince the checkin agent.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newflyer530
If I understand it right, your return ticket will be the following sequence: BOS-FRA-TUN(LON)-FRA-BOS? If this is the case and that you decide to no show your FRA-TUN flight, your remaining TUN-FRA-BOS will be automatically canceled, and you won't be able to use them.

Also, pretty sure they won't allow you to short-check with a non-overnight, 4 hour only layover in FRA, unless you have extraordinary reasons to convince the checkin agent.
No, actually it is already the return segment. I flew the TUN - FRA - BOS last summer.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: Flying Blue/Platinum, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, LH/FTL, Marriott/Platinum
Originally Posted by Rednacks
No, actually it is already the return segment. I flew the TUN - FRA - BOS last summer.
Then it's fine.

Your bag in the hold can still be tricky though. If they refuse to short-check it at BOS, you could try in FRA. Once getting to FRA, go to a LH baggage service counter and tell them you wish to retrieve your bag. I've done so in FRA on a UA 016-stock ticket 2 years ago (SFO-FRA on UA, connecting to FRA-ARN on LH), no questions asked, took them ~30 min to retrieve my bag. Can't promise this still works today though...

Last edited by newflyer530; Nov 13, 2018 at 3:17 pm Reason: More clarity on routing
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Avoid checking a bag as this may cause problems and most likely will result in a very lengthy wait at FRA. That might interfere with your separate ticket to LON.

2. Don't try to book your FRA-LON on LH. That is an "impossible" booking as you can't possibly be flying to both TUN and LON at roughly the same time. The risk is that LH cancels the FRA-LON.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
For what it’s worth, I’ve had success booking the “impossible ticket” and having my bag rerouted to the new destination (from the origin city on my return; no need to retrieve bag in FRA). I’ve done it multiple times with zero issues.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: LX SEN
Short checking has never been an issue for me, at least on LX. On my way back to GVA, I often short check to ZRH to enable me to attend my meetings in ZRH and have to ability to take the train if it turns out more convenient schedulewise than taking the last leg ZRH-GVA.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've often had two tickets booked to different destinations at the same time. No problems, even with my FF number on both
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:56 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nic33
Short checking has never been an issue for me, at least on LX. On my way back to GVA, I often short check to ZRH to enable me to attend my meetings in ZRH and have to ability to take the train if it turns out more convenient schedulewise than taking the last leg ZRH-GVA.
Short checking is a published option on LX. I’m not so sure about LH.

Originally Posted by anniegray
I've often had two tickets booked to different destinations at the same time. No problems, even with my FF number on both
Is this with LH? Then you have been extremely lucky.
Double booking [and dupe check] on Lufthansa
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I've done it twice with no issue, though out of paranoia the second time I bought the duplicate ticket an hour before I checked in for my last two legs (intending to no-show for the final leg). I told the check-in agent I will be no-showing for the final leg and I purposefully didn't include my M&M number in the duplicate ticket.

Anyways, not sure if I will do again as I'm paranoid.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Short checking is a published option on LX. I’m not so sure about LH.

Is this with LH? Then you have been extremely lucky.
Double booking [and dupe check] on Lufthansa
LH T&Cs foresee a price recalculation, but I doubt that these provisions are enforced. See post #11 in the thread below:

Skipping last leg
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
don't check a bag if you can avoid it. The agent can certainly insist to check it through to TUN and then you are in a tough spot. Also agree to not book FRA-LON on Lufti but rather on another carrier.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:55 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
LH T&Cs foresee a price recalculation, but I doubt that these provisions are enforced. See post #11 in the thread below:

Skipping last leg
Skipping the last leg is usually not a problem especially if hand luggage only.

Check the more recent posts in the thread I linked about how LH is detecting duplicate bookings.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:36 am

LH T&Cs foresee a price recalculation, but I doubt that these provisions are enforced.
And that is was LH has done recently.
The passenger has refused to pay and now the case is at court.
So there will be quite soon a high court decission regarding this topic.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:56 am

oh that is interesting. High court in Germany?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.