Austrian - business class random seat swap

Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:35 am
azj
Original Poster

Austrian - business class random seat swap

Having booked and had a specific seat assignment for awhile, upon checkin (online) my seat was switched. It was essentially the same seat, 3K to 5K and really no big deal, which is why I didn't pursue the issue at bag drop. It seems that foreign carriers have a much more relaxed approach to advanced seat assignments than US carriers do. I'm just curious if this is a common thing? Did an Austrian elite member somehow get priority over seat selection over this UA 1k?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: LH SEN & DL Plat
Originally Posted by azj
Having booked and had a specific seat assignment for awhile, upon checkin (online) my seat was switched. It was essentially the same seat, 3K to 5K and really no big deal, which is why I didn't pursue the issue at bag drop. It seems that foreign carriers have a much more relaxed approach to advanced seat assignments than US carriers do. I'm just curious if this is a common thing? Did an Austrian elite member somehow get priority over seat selection over this UA 1k?
SEN/HON do ger priority on the seat selection for asr... at olci all should be open for every1...
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:05 am

Normally, ASR in Business class should stick on OS. There are some conditions which might trigger a re-seating like an equipment swap, a passenger with disability requiring a special seating, pax with infants needing that bulkhead seat etc.

But it should not happen that a SEN/HON will push you out of your seat just because they want to sit there.

Of course if a HON with family on 4 shows up at the check-in desk and sweet-talks the agent that all of the family would like to sit together in row.... the check-in agent might free up that one seat and relocate the pax. As long as you got a similar seat (3K for 5K) no biggie. I would be seriously annoyed when they move a confirmed ASR from window to aisle (e.g. swap A/K for D/G) or on the 772 from the 4 seat rows 1,3,5 and 7 to the 6 seat rows 2,4,6.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
These things happen all the time. Perhaps you'd have been able to switch back at check-in, who can say now? Note that OS will only see you as *G, along with many others .
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:43 am
azj
Original Poster

Thanks... as I said in the OP, it's not a big deal because it was a like seat I was moved to. I was just curious if there may have been a policy or procedure I was unaware of on the Austrian side.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:09 pm
Suspended

I fly LH every couple of days, and as a UA PP/1K, I never get anything. No advance seat selection, no hand massage on board. It is a big disappointment.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I fly LH every couple of days, and as a UA PP/1K, I never get anything. No advance seat selection, no hand massage on board. It is a big disappointment.
then why do you fly LH? And of course there is free ASR on LH ... or do you mean OS what this thread is about? There is free ASR on OS as well. The only one I know of is LX where you can't get the throne seats until T-48, else I have not run into any kind of restrictions whatsoever.
It gets trickier on codeshares, but even then you can get free ASR on LH/OS/LX ... no problem.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:57 am
Suspended

Sorry, I was talking rubbish. Of course I get seat choice. Just no hand massage.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile What are "Throne" Seats ?/

Originally Posted by cfischer
then why do you fly LH? And of course there is free ASR on LH ... or do you mean OS what this thread is about? There is free ASR on OS as well. The only one I know of is LX where you can't get the throne seats until T-48, else I have not run into any kind of restrictions whatsoever.
It gets trickier on codeshares, but even then you can get free ASR on LH/OS/LX ... no problem.

Can someone please tell me what "Throne" Seats are ? Thanks
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
On LX and OS J-Class there is a stagerred seating config with 2-1-2-1 seats behind each other. Your legs go under the armrests of the seats in front of you. (There is a limited number of these seats, as in other airplanes or other rows it might be 1-1 staggered or 2-2 staggered, for example on OS B767 there are none at all.)

Throne seats are seats in those rows where there is only one seat, that has armrests on both sides.

The seats themselves aren't identical between LX and OS, but the configuration is the same.

Last edited by Fabo.sk; Jan 11, 2019 at 6:33 am
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
On LX and OS J-Class there is a stagerred seating config with 2-1-2-1 seats behind each other. Your legs go under the armrests of the seats in front of you. (There is a limited number of these seats, as in other airplanes or other rows it might be 1-1 staggered or 2-2 staggered, for example on OS B767 there are none at all.)

Throne seats are seats in those rows where there is only one seat, that has armrests on both sides.

The seats themselves aren't identical between LX and OS, but the configuration is the same.
Thanks FABO and the picture is quite illustrative !

I seat 1A on an OS 767-300 a good seat ?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by gpicur
Thanks FABO and the picture is quite illustrative !

I seat 1A on an OS 767-300 a good seat ?
1A and 1K are thrones with more legroom than other seats as these are bulkhead. Best seats on the plane in my opinion.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by MichielR

1A and 1K are thrones with more legroom than other seats as these are bulkhead. Best seats on the plane in my opinion.
There are no thrones on the 767, the cabin is not wide enough.
I would agree that going for bulkhead might be the better idea.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
There are no thrones on the 767, the cabin is not wide enough.
I would agree that going for bulkhead might be the better idea.
Ok, I should have said quasi-thrones perhaps. The cabin wall forming one half of the enclosure. As opposed to the even A/K seats that just have an armrest between the aisle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.