Anyone move to M&M from OW lately?

Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
And in case it was not clear above, you will only earn HON status by flying in premium cabin, cheap economy tickets don’t add to the tally.

Last edited by LondonElite; Nov 7, 2018 at 5:57 am
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime Platinum, 2.6M
@LondonElite holy Batman!!!!!
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: * Alliance Gold, oneworld Emerald, Marriott Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
[/QUOTE] @Jaenks thank you for the tip on TK. That might be a good move. Do they have a lifetime program as well? How have you found the advantages in general? Doesn't look terrible on LH redemption so could be worse. [/QUOTE]
TK does not have currently lifetime program. What I most appreciate, are the upgrade vouchers(Elite+ benefit only). You can use them from North America-Europe-Asia as the longest one way distances, redeeming one voucher per one way on TK metal. J booking class availability is only requirement.

Last edited by Jaenks; Nov 7, 2018 at 10:14 am
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by berlindave
@LondonElite holy Batman!!!!!
Yes, it will set you back a bit!
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: LH SEN

General question: some of you have indicated I should go for SEN. Am I calculating earning rates wrong? I usually do 100-150 a year but would do some runs if it meant stretching a little, but I could never double my mileage in a year to make the 600K in two years. Am I wrong or is there some earning pattern I'm not understanding that is easier to achieve SEN if you're willing to go downtown on the system?
The key mistake you are making is assuming you need to achieve 300K / year or 600K in 2 years: This is for HON Circle only. SEN is 100K / year.

See here: M&M status levels

Last edited by FS_FRA; Nov 7, 2018 at 8:52 am Reason: added link
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
@Jaenks thank you for the tip on TK. That might be a good move. Do they have a lifetime program as well? How have you found the advantages in general? Doesn't look terrible on LH redemption so could be worse.
Beware of low earning rates on TK, as in A3. P class (business discount) is 0%.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Thank you Fabo and Jaenks. Some real food to chew on here. A devlish puzzle. I will publish my findings of the Venn diagram to this thread in efforts to leave the cumb trail for the next one who bangs his/her head against this wall.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Beware of low earning rates on TK, as in A3. P class (business discount) is 0%.
I second that. If you are Germany based and want to avoid traveling through IST on TK metal all the time to generate earnings in TK's Miles & Smiles, I'd be really wary of substituting the obvious solution (Miles & More) by a crafty work-around like TK.

LH awards you SEN (*Gold) after 100k miles per year, regardless the class of travel. Duration is 2 years, i.e. you only have to credit 100k Status miles every second year.
HON is achieved by 600k miles over a 2 year Qualifying period. Only Business and First class flights are considered in earning the relative miles.
FTL ( *Silver) requires 35k miles per year or 30 segments, regardless the class of travel.

While not as easy to reach as other *Gold tiers, I still find SEN offers significant benefits (i.e. companion award at 50%) on a group of very consistent carriers (LH, OS, LX) and given your flying patterns should easily be achievable for you.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:51 am
Original Poster

@thanks Sw1x. I obviously missed this in the reading of the M+M charts but am I correct in reading your advice that once I achieve 100K status on M+M in a year then I only have to accumulate 100k over 24 months to keep the train rolling? If so thats pretty awesome because I can easily achieve that every two years once I qualify.

You are right, the workarounds have a lot of pitfalls once you dig deep.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
@thanks Sw1x. I obviously missed this in the reading of the M+M charts but am I correct in reading your advice that once I achieve 100K status on M+M in a year then I only have to accumulate 100k over 24 months to keep the train rolling? If so thats pretty awesome because I can easily achieve that every two years once I qualify.

You are right, the workarounds have a lot of pitfalls once you dig deep.
Not quite. You have to achieve 100K in a single calendar year, however the status is valid for two years, and you can achieve 100K in either of these.

For HON the qualification period is 2 years.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks Fabo. Got it. Regardless, provides some breathing room for a down year.

Again, many thanks...this has been extremely helpful and has been great advice pointing me to real solutions
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: * Alliance Gold, oneworld Emerald, Marriott Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
M&M earnings on LH issued tickets are now based on money spent, so it costs significantly more to achieve SEN only flying with LH. To avoid LH P class, fly with LX P or OS P whenever possible. The fastest path to Star Alliance Gold is either TK or OZ(both for two years period). Doing that you have achieved your main goal(lounge and business class check-in), after that you can choose whatever program to credit rest of the miles. Choosing OZ and getting a US issued credit card helps you maintain the status with lower flight miles(30k per two years) and get more bonus miles. Choosing TK and flying only once during the 12 months 80k gives you two upgrades per membership year, maintaining is 40k in the first year or 60k during the membership period(two years).
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by Jaenks
M&M earnings on LH issued tickets are now based on money spent, so it costs significantly more to achieve SEN only flying with LH. To avoid LH P class, fly with LX P or OS P whenever possible. The fastest path to Star Alliance Gold is either TK or OZ(both for two years period). Doing that you have achieved your main goal(lounge and business class check-in), after that you can choose whatever program to credit rest of the miles. Choosing OZ and getting a US issued credit card helps you maintain the status with lower flight miles(30k per two years) and get more bonus miles. Choosing TK and flying only once during the 12 months 80k gives you two upgrades per membership year, maintaining is 40k in the first year or 60k during the membership period(two years).
Nothing has changed for Status miles, but Award miles are now calculated (partially) on a revenue basis...
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:57 am

There are three different types of miles. Don't mix them up.

Status miles: you get them by flying on Star airlines. There is a multiplier for the booking class. A and F for example have a multiplier of 3, business 2 or 1.5. Some airlines are lower. Check the lh/m+m website for this. You need 100.000 to make SEN, then another 100.000 in one of the two years your status is valid to extend for 2 more years.
Example: 2018 100K, SEN until Feb of 2021. Another 100 K in 2019. SEN until Feb of 2023. Then it does not matter how many miles you do in 2020. Status will still be until Feb 2023.

Award Miles: you get them based on money spent (on LH group tickets) or based on distance (on other tickets like RTW, other airlines). You use them for award tickets. You can also generate them via credit cards etc.

HON miles: only on a few airlines (mainly LH group and only in premium classes). You need 600.000 in two years to get status for two years.

I hope I got this right, it was from memory.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Seems like as long as you're in the right booking class you can rack up status miles no matter what

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.