FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Any use of reaching LH silver when already *A gold? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1936638-any-use-reaching-lh-silver-when-already-gold.html)

ELAL Oct 21, 2018 8:37 am

Any use of reaching LH silver when already *A gold?

Hi all

I am a *A gold member (A3) already re qualified for the next year, and have flights scheduled enough to get me LH silver too.

Is there any reason or plus of becoming LH silver when already A3 gold?

SPlDER Oct 21, 2018 8:42 am

IMHO it is not worth, until you need to extend validity of your "old" M&M miles.
The adv of M&M silver:
- extended validity of M&M miles
- lower booking class LH flights (eco & business) can only be credited to M&M
- FTL exec bonus

AlicorporateUK Oct 21, 2018 9:02 am

I did exactly the same a couple of years back — I had qualified Diamond with SAS in the space of a few months’ time while having a good number of Lufthansa/LOT flights already booked, which I did eventually credit to Miles & More (I was still crediting all SAS flights to EuroBonus, though). The only advantage I could see at the time (I must admit, I didn’t do a great deal of research, I just went with the ‘flow’ i.e. LH/LO=M&M, SK=EB) was the relatively easy ‘process’ in terms of qualification (30 flights — not much if you consider that I was transiting through either Munich or Frankfurt nearly on a weekly basis and was also doing several flights within Poland on LOT) and the fact that status through Miles & More lasts for 2 years, not to mention lounge access at Star Alliance hubs. In my opinion, it is indeed worth going for, especially if you already have flights booked as you mention.

G

Carpacchio Oct 21, 2018 9:09 am

Same strategy I apply. In particular for the many cheap class flights with LH/LX/OS/SN I have to take for my company - they would get lost with A3.
And sometimes the M&M miles come in handy, e.g. with the Meilenschnaeppchen offers (e.g. J class R/T flights to US for 55k miles and ~600 USD fees).

johnirvine Oct 21, 2018 3:04 pm

Although I have two *G cards, I recently obtained an LH*S card. The main reason is that LH group currently offers far and away the best Y service in Europe, has excellent lounges and the prices from LCA to TXL are unbeatable. By using a *G card to get preferred seating, priority check-in and baggage delivery, extra baggage, Senator lounge access, *A Goldtrack, and then crediting the mileage on cheap K, L and T tickets to M&M, you cannot lose. My *G cards give zero mileage on cheaper LH tickets. I also collect significant mileage on a M&M credit card which gives additional benefits.

Houminer Oct 22, 2018 3:20 am

Originally Posted by ELAL (Post 30339232)
Hi all

I am a *A gold member (A3) already re qualified for the next year, and have flights scheduled enough to get me LH silver too.

Is there any reason or plus of becoming LH silver when already A3 gold?

If you are TLV based - a big advantage for M&M is upgrading TLV-ZRH on LX for only 15K miles

1flyer Oct 22, 2018 1:01 pm

If you fly EW, an FTL is preferable over an A3*G.

ELAL Oct 23, 2018 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Houminer (Post 30342013)
If you are TLV based - a big advantage for M&M is upgrading TLV-ZRH on LX for only 15K miles

I am not TLV based, can anybody do this or only accounts based in Israel?

Houminer Oct 23, 2018 1:42 am

Originally Posted by ELAL (Post 30345624)
I am not TLV based, can anybody do this or only accounts based in Israel?

I think your address needs to be in Israel but I am not sure

ELAL Oct 23, 2018 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Houminer (Post 30345637)
I think your address needs to be in Israel but I am not sure

Do you do this at the airport or in advance already?

Houminer Oct 24, 2018 1:13 am

Originally Posted by ELAL (Post 30347958)
Do you do this at the airport or in advance already?

It's been a few years... I did it many times in advance (online or calling M&M) and also a few times at the airport.
It was also possible doing it in an European airport and then connecting to another flight (I was flying BCN-ZRH-TLV, in BCN I went to the LX ticketing office and did it)

Concerto Oct 24, 2018 2:02 am

I would definitely go for FTL, it’s not as bad as some say it is. Plus, being an M&M status member might just help a bit more if you get caught up in irrops due to, for example, winter weather. I believe SWISS is sometimes not very good with their status members but I’ve never had a problem. But I use SWISS a LOT less now, since their service took a plunge for the worse, despite being based in the Geneva region.

ELAL Oct 25, 2018 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 30349664)
I would definitely go for FTL, it’s not as bad as some say it is. Plus, being an M&M status member might just help a bit more if you get caught up in irrops due to, for example, winter weather. I believe SWISS is sometimes not very good with their status members but I’ve never had a problem. But I use SWISS a LOT less now, since their service took a plunge for the worse, despite being based in the Geneva region.

Wouldn't star gold have priority over M&M FTL at IRROPS?

Jasper2009 Oct 25, 2018 11:15 pm

If you have the misfortune of flying that mediocre airline called Eurowings, FTL status offers some basic benefits (such as lounge access) when you purchase one of the more expensive fares that you wouldn't get as a *G (since LH Group has chosen not to extend any *G benefits when flying Eurowings).