Lounge at Manchester T1 - Disgrace

Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
True that ! Way better than their SEN lounges in the hubs ZRH and GVA !
It simply amazes me the pride the Staff have in their lounge at ATH, if only this was replicated in other LH group lounges..... but credit where its due ^

The LH station manger at ATH deserves a medal, HONs even get pre boarding ^
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by chris63

Direct ramp transfers are prioritised for Status, J pax & available to Y pax also subject only to demand. LH @ FRA have additional limo services anyway for connecting F pax & HON.

At MUC the other day arriving from MAN & we were only 10 minutes late they had direct ramp transfer for 2 separate lots of Y pax, thats impressive
Non-Schengen clean to non-Schengen shouldnt be an issue at FRA. My understanding is that there is a limit to the use of the passport control (and possibly security check) only.

But yes, one of the best HON benefits at hubs, I must have about a dozen RDS every year...
chris63 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador

Thanks, thats an excellent point, and the ATH lounge is one of LHs best IMO, fantastic staff & excellent food & beverage for a non hub airline lounge.
I'm going to try it tomorrow for the first time. I'm a regular visitor to ATH but for some reason I always went straight to the A3 lounge next door without thinking (I think for non-Schengen there's only A3 anyway).

I heard the drinks selection is significantly better, especially in terms of the hard stuff, and the A3 lounge can be a zoo at times. I've got a 4h25m layover to OTP so I'll need to take it easy!
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yurtripper
I'm going to try it tomorrow for the first time. I'm a regular visitor to ATH but for some reason I always went straight to the A3 lounge next door without thinking (I think for non-Schengen there's only A3 anyway).

I heard the drinks selection is significantly better, especially in terms of the hard stuff, and the A3 lounge can be a zoo at times. I've got a 4h25m layover to OTP so I'll need to take it easy!
Enjoy !

Its not as spacious as the A3 lounge but more than made up on the Drinks front, hard Stuff has lots of choice but they offer about 3 different Greek Whites & Reds, food always fresh, interesting & well presented & unbeatable Staff for friendliness & sheer hard work, been going for years & its always a pleasure but do let us know your thoughts ?
yurtripper likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
I remember last year at easter, where they had a special table with greek Easter delights (even lamb !) and 5 different bottles of Ouzo (no joke !), together with explanations of the different dishes and their connection to Easter.
And then the Greek coffee machine - a jewel....
chris63 and hugolover like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carpacchio
I remember last year at easter, where they had a special table with greek Easter delights (even lamb !) and 5 different bottles of Ouzo (no joke !), together with explanations of the different dishes and their connection to Easter.
And then the Greek coffee machine - a jewel....
Yes, if only ATH was the model for all LH J lounges .....
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
It's not just dearture procedures and the lounge that makes MAN laughing stock..

Ok, back to Manchester - literally

Now Frankfurt isn't the most efficient of airports, and boarding for apron-parked flights there can be a bit of a scrum, but MAN was an embarrassment. Lord know what any new visitors made of their introduction to the UK.

I was among the first off the flight from FRA, in a bit of a rush for my train, but a door slammed in our face as we got off the airbridge, and we had to wait while a Heraklion-bound flight boarded. After that it was the usual down the stairs, up the stairs, and along the corridor to join the queue for passports.

Then, of course, the lifts up from the terminal to the station walkway were not working, and the escalator was under maintenance, The stairway door was open though ....but no change to static condition of the moving walkways leading to the statiom.

But it's OK. The train had been cancelled...
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:30 am

Direct ramp transfers are prioritised for Status, J pax & available to Y pax also subject only to demand

I seem to remember reading somewhere here on FT (I'm fairly sure it was from the usual 'source of information' i.e. oliver2002) that capacity for direct transfers [at FRA] is somewhat limited to a certain number of passengers at a given time, meaning (in this case) that if literally all resources were 'busy' elsewhere (and even with 'non-status' passengers) then sadly bad luck. That, though, does not justify the mediocre service (i.e. rebooking process) experienced by IAN-UK on this particular occasion.

G
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
I seem to remember reading somewhere here on FT (I'm fairly sure it was from the usual 'source of information' i.e. oliver2002) that capacity for direct transfers [at FRA] is somewhat limited to a certain number of passengers at a given time, meaning that if literally all resources were 'busy' elsewhere (and even with 'non-status' passengers) then sadly bad luck. That, though, clearly does not justify the poor service (i.e. rebooking process) experienced by IAN-UK on this particular occasion.

G
Yes, correct, LH at FRA & MUC have a certain capacity & once exceeded your on your own.... except for HON & F pax who have the Limo transfer Staff in addition
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:39 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Welcome back to the UK and Manchester!

Ive read somewhere about a plan to separate arriving and departing passengers on different levels in T1 but I cant see them spending money on a pier which will be demolished in a few years.

Last time I was there the pedestrian bridge to T2 and the railway station was completely closed and I had to walk on the ground level under the bridge.
chris63 and worldclubber like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK

Now Frankfurt isn't the most efficient of airports, and boarding for apron-parked flights there can be a bit of a scrum, but MAN was an embarrassment. Lord know what any new visitors made of their introduction to the UK.

I was among the first off the flight from FRA, in a bit of a rush for my train, but a door slammed in our face as we got off the airbridge, and we had to wait while a Heraklion-bound flight boarded. After that it was the usual down the stairs, up the stairs, and along the corridor to join the queue for passports.

Then, of course, the lifts up from the terminal to the station walkway were not working, and the escalator was under maintenance, The stairway door was open though ....but no change to static condition of the moving walkways leading to the statiom.

But it's OK. The train had been cancelled...
Welcome back !
MAN is a National disgrace...... you must be very keen to return again
hugolover and worldclubber like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
MAN is a National disgrace...
^

And so unwelcoming to Euro-carrying visitors (note the exchange rate ...)

chris63 and AlicorporateUK like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber
note the exchange rate
To be fair though, they couldn't have set it at 1.20 or 1.50 so they obviously just went for 2 (which obviously doesn't match the current 'state-of-affairs' in terms of exchange rate but...) That said, given the GBP-EUR rates very close to the 1:1 threshold these days and with the ever growing Brexit-lead uncertainty, they may soon be reviewing this and go for 2 GBP/1 EUR

G
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:39 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
They charge drivers dropping off/picking up passengers 3 for 5 minutes and 4 for 10 minutes. And sell access to security fast track and passport control fast track for 5 each.

Where does all the money they raise go?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Into their coffers.

You can buy the tokens on eBay/AliExpress that fit these trollies.
IAN-UK and chris63 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.