Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge at Manchester T1 - Disgrace

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Depending on what source you trust all *A carriers currently at MAN T1 should be moving to T2 sometime between 2022 and 2024.

According to *A website (which may not be entirely reliable) there are about 190 weekly *A departures from MAN at present including longhaul flights by SQ (10), UA (7) and ET (4 via BRU). I’m still hoping that one of the *A airlines (SQ?) might open its own lounge for all *A passengers.
Yes, I have been told it’s quite some way off before LH move, given the number of LH group flights ex MAN it ought to be LH opening a lounge, don’t think MAN is particularly important to SQ
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Depending on what source you trust all *A carriers currently at MAN T1 should be moving to T2 sometime between 2022 and 2024.

According to *A website (which may not be entirely reliable) there are about 190 weekly *A departures from MAN at present including longhaul flights by SQ (10), UA (7) and ET (4 via BRU). I’m still hoping that one of the *A airlines (SQ?) might open its own lounge for all *A passengers.
Which would be many *A customers' dream.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldclubber
Which would be many *A customers' dream.
Yes, we can dream on, anything would be better than the Nightmare of ‘Aspire’.....
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:52 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chris63
Yes, I have been told it’s quite some way off before LH move, given the number of LH group flights ex MAN it ought to be LH opening a lounge, don’t think MAN is particularly important to SQ
LH just announced an additional daily flight to MUC and already operate more flights from MAN than ATH where there is also an A3 lounge right next door. Not sure about the total number of LH Group flights ex-MAN vs ex-ATH but as the second largest operator of *A flights (SK may have more flights ex-MAN but they don’t believe in providing lounge access outside their home countries) it would be nice if LH opens its own lounge in MAN T2. Unlike LHR there will be no competition.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LH just announced an additional daily flight to MUC and already operate more flights from MAN than ATH where there is also an A3 lounge right next door. Not sure about the total number of LH Group flights ex-MAN vs ex-ATH but as the second largest operator of *A flights (SK may have more flights ex-MAN but they don’t believe in providing lounge access outside their home countries) it would be nice if LH opens its own lounge in MAN T2. Unlike LHR there will be no competition.
Well that could be interpreted to prove the point that the turkey's will still fly Helga's cabins even though the lounge product is crap because she is adding more flights!

Or maybe its because BArb has put her strong commitments to fighting the climate emergency foremost and cut her MAN schedules thereby depriving a significant chunk of MAN pax from her premium M&S Buy on Board offerings but increasing fares for the few, not the many, who can afford her premium Club cabin and Helga is picking up those legacy pax who care more about the free beer than the 8kg cabin allowance.

For Star to open a lounge a consideration will be the charge they pay to Aspire vs opening their own. For all we know, its peanuts and why would it be anything more as its crap?

Of course it became too expensive for our Portuguese friends no doubt due to TAP wanting to prevent their pax from having some kind of allergic reaction to the coffee and lack of egg based pastries.
lhrpete and chris63 like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, that’s an excellent point, and the ATH lounge is one of LH’s best IMO, fantastic staff & excellent food & beverage for a non hub airline lounge.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
That really sucks.

I have a J ticket with LH booked for August and I was assuming that in case of missconnection I will be rebooked in *A flights rather than being stuck in MUC for 24h (there is only one flight a day). If LH is not willing to rebook to at least *A, what is the point in paying a premium?
OK - The Rebooking Experience

I reached the Senator line from the comfort of the aspire lounge in MAN T2. They quickly verified that here was no hope of making the FRA-connection, but refused point-blank to put me on BA or any other carrier outside the "Lufthansa family". I hung up and tried again: same answer. This one even suggested I cancel, and rebook myself a last-minute BA ticket (at my expense).

With a 24H delay I had the luxury of time at FRA the next day to discover exactly what the policy was. Senator lounge staff and the F-class service desk told me the information I'd been given sounded like nonsense: both said they would have no difficulty putting me on (virtually) any other carrier, contracts are in place to facilitate such procedures.

One of these helpful FRA folk was interested enough to pursue the question. The message she got back from a super-supervisor was that call-centre staff must have interpreted the case as a delay rather than a missed connection, and delays don't get re-routing: she said the supervisor didn't sound too sure about what had gone wrong but the explanation he gave was the best he could come up with.

Diturbingly, there were no notes on my reservation. No record of my calls and the decisions given. No requests for assistance at FRA.
All-in-all, a bit of a shambles, but life goes on ...
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:40 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
And yet if we were to believe the publicity here:

https://www.staralliance.com/en/connection-service

LH ground staff ought to have been waiting for IAN-UK on arrival at FRA.

Indeed FRA is listed on the page as one of the hubs where this service is offered. Surely a founder member of *A is in on this at their main hub or would it only work if for instance you were connecting SK-SQ?

I would be inclined to draw LH's attention to this downright failure in their own service at their major hub.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK

I reached the Senator line from the comfort of the aspire lounge in MAN T2. They quickly verified that here was no hope of making the FRA-connection, but refused point-blank to put me on BA or any other carrier outside the "Lufthansa family". I hung up and tried again: same answer. This one even suggested I cancel, and rebook myself a last-minute BA ticket (at my expense).

With a 24H delay I had the luxury of time at FRA the next day to discover exactly what the policy was. Senator lounge staff and the F-class service desk told me the information I'd been given sounded like nonsense: both said they would have no difficulty putting me on (virtually) any other carrier, contracts are in place to facilitate such procedures.

One of these helpful FRA folk was interested enough to pursue the question. The message she got back from a super-supervisor was that call-centre staff must have interpreted the case as a delay rather than a missed connection, and delays don't get re-routing: she said the supervisor didn't sound too sure about what had gone wrong but the explanation he gave was the best he could come up with.

Diturbingly, there were no notes on my reservation. No record of my calls and the decisions given. No requests for assistance at FRA.
That is terrible, call centre staff are highly variable in their competence, asking for a Supervisor once a poor response is received is a good idea.

Were you in F ? If so the F line would have been a better point of contact, however as SEN with all those * s you should have received much better help whilst you were in MAN or upon arrival in FRA.

A complaint is necessary for such bad provision of service.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrpete

Indeed FRA is listed on the page as one of the hubs where this service is offered. Surely a founder member of *A is in on this at their main hub or would it only work if for instance you were connecting SK-SQ?

I would be inclined to draw LH's attention to this downright failure in their own service at their major hub.
LH direct ramp transfer at FRA is excellent when it works, not sure why they let IAN-UK down so badly but I hope he gets a comprehensive answer from them, an apology & some compensation
MichielR likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrpete

In the past I've been given apron transfers at FRA, once just me, travelling to Singapore: the other time I hugged an HON's coat-tails travelling to Lagos.

But I'm told that type of service is now reserved only for passengers in F, and possibly for HONs.

They have staff positioned by arrival gates, but as far as I could make out they are limited to directing connecting passengers to the correct gate. A couple of times I've been told by these helpful souls that I'm too late and will be booked on the next flight, only to make it to the gate and be accepted on the flight.

At Munich, pressed for time but travelling with a friend who has some mobility problems, I waved down a gofl-cart thingy and the driver really bust a gut getting us to the gate.

I guess it is simply more expeditious for the airline to rebook, rather than employ resources to facilitate connections: the personal costs to passengers are disregarded. The EU Regulation works towards redressing this, but with LH straight-batting each claim, the cost of compliance is probably lower than might be expected.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the past I've been given apron transfers at FRA, once just me, travelling to Singapore: the other time I hugged an HON's coat-tails travelling to Lagos.

But I'm told that type of service is now reserved only for passengers in F, and possibly for HONs.
Direct ramp transfers are prioritised for Status, J pax & available to Y pax also subject only to demand. LH @ FRA have additional limo services anyway for connecting F pax & HON.

At MUC the other day arriving from MAN & we were only 10 minutes late they had direct ramp transfer for 2 separate lots of Y pax, that’s impressive
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is terrible, call centre staff are highly variable in their competence, asking for a Supervisor once a poor response is received is a good idea.

Were you in F ? If so the F line would have been a better point of contact, however as SEN with all those * s you should have received much better help whilst you were in MAN or upon arrival in FRA.

A complaint is necessary for such bad provision of service.
Just occasionally i can manipulate a travel budget to allow F, but (sadly) that's quite rare ! Oddly enough though, I have one next month on LX, where I'm hoping for a caviar extravaganza.

This trip came under the heading of personal travel, where premium-economy was the best I could manage. Still, I'd hoped the SEN business counted for something, so the outcome was disappointing. An EU claim will be muddied because there was a second delay. This one to the re-booked, next-day flight, which left 13-hours' late following a bona-fide technical issue. At least they had the grace to put me in a business-class seat.....

But that's a 37-hour delay and two nights in the FRA Steigenberger on a pretty simple itinerary.

And two EUR10 refreshment vouchers, squandered on beer and curry wurst
chris63 and worldclubber like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:32 am

Thanks for the detailed reply @IAN-UK

That does not sounds like good customer service...

Nowadays I try to avoid hotlines. Most of the times twitter / facebook customer service is much better. Still, good to hear that at FRA/MUC the customer service team still can rebook in other airlines.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S

Thanks, that’s an excellent point, and the ATH lounge is one of LH’s best IMO, fantastic staff & excellent food & beverage for a non hub airline lounge.
True that ! Way better than their SEN lounges in the hubs ZRH and GVA !
chris63 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.