Lounge at Manchester T1 - Disgrace

Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:11 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Monty_GER
The worst thing are the restrooms that are located outside the lounge.
The BD lounge when it existed in T3 was the same.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Perhaps I've been fortunate, but the times i've used the lounge it's been borderline OK. Luxury living, it ain't. But I've always managed to get a coffee and find somewhere to sit.

But I can see things will get stretched if they don't operate stricter capacity control at peak times for holiday flights. The airlines sending CIPs to the lounge should insist that these controls are at sensible levels, and are implemented properly.

The tension, of course, is that capacity control means forgoing revenue; and many of the airlines have very limited presence at the airport.

Looking for faint praise, at least I can see aircraft from the lounge.

It annoys me that a business-class lounge doesn't have a printer guests can use; and i was irritated the lounge Goddess couldn't lend me her paper-cutting (blunted) scissors for health and safety reasons.

But the lounge simply reflects the third tier aspirations of Manchester International airport. Last week it was the turn of the escalators from T1 arrivals to the station walkway to be out of order. Followed by two sections of the moving walkway to the station out of service. Flags will be out on days all sections are working.

They're pretty slick at gouging extra cash from passengers, but have pretty low priorities when it comes to customer service.
N1003U likes this.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Oct 12, 2018 at 10:59 pm
Old Oct 13, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I thought the Aspire Lounge (aka Lounge 26) at AMS was worse than the MAN T1 Aspire Lounge.
It's certainly bad, but at least it has bathrooms in the lounge and a more quiet area to the left of the entrance. As long as one does not want to eat or drink anything there, it is usually OK to wait for departure. I totally agree on the long way to the LH gates, though.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 3:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Swissport/Aspire lounges are no TK/QR pleasure temples: their basic purpose is to provide lounge space for airlines don't see the need to operate a full service lounge for the relatively few flights to that airport. For the 10-20$ they charge airlines (and others) to enter the service offerings are usually very very basic. But it seems airlines are OK with that service level for some reason.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by Monty_GER
The worst thing are the restrooms that are located outside the lounge.
That is even the case for the LX SEN and FTL lounges in Geneva !
mmff likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
The Aspire Lounge in Man T1 has indeed the toilet outside, but even more depressing than this is that there is literally only1 gents toilet (and it is shared by other lounges as well!)
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:29 am

The hot tip for MAN lounges is the 1903 Lounge, apparently an upmarket lounge compared to the competition. It is twice the entrance fee so likely less Spain bound LCC customers drinking the price of their lounge fee. Air France and KLM have contracted the one in T3. Perhaps this is the new lounge strategy, make them so bad that customers/airlines are willing to pay more?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
+ the lounges are crap.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Nic33
+ the lounges are crap.
They are not great but from what I'm reading here they are much better than whatever LH has at MAN.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: LX SEN
Indeed. To be honest, it is rather the SEN lounge that is really worn out. The C lounge is ok.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by Nic33
Indeed. To be honest, it is rather the SEN lounge that is really worn out. The C lounge is ok.
Correct - the carpet in the SEN lounge is in some places almost completely gone...
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Fully agree with TS, the lounge is an absolute disgrace. I spent a few hours there a few weeks back to get some work done.
The coffee is absolutely undrinkable, the food is on the verge of disgusting and dirty plates and cutlery are easily left standing for over an hour, if they are picked up at all.

I just don't bother going into these kind of lounges anymore and rather have a coffee or a beer in a regular caf or bar and actually enjoy it.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bratislava Blade
In the last few years Manchester airport has become a real bear pit and using it to travel regularly for business has become a nightmare, the business lounge however is at another (lower) level altogether. . . . I will honestly say that this lounge is the worst I have ever seen in Europe. It is not an LH lounge but I assume they pay for for access and so therefore have the right to check the standard that is being offered to their premium passengers. In short, if you can I would advise to avoid Manchester airport in general and the aspire lounge at all costs.
I haven't used the Aspire lounge in T1 in recent years, but from a visit last year to the Escape lounge in T3 (flying KLM), I can testify that that is a very similar experience to those reported here as the general experience for LH patrons. But more generally, I think that the characterization (by the OP and many others) of MAN as one of the least traveler-friendly, least well-managed airports in Europe is, sadly, very correct these days.

Admittedly we were there at what was presumably a peak time for leisure travel (Friday afternoon, along with lots of groups of football fans and stag/hen parties), but the deficiencies of the airport were not only ascribable to that peak timing. Externally, the road signage is poor around the airport (on a par with EWR and BOS, whereas typically UK road signage is very much superior to standards in much of the US). Internal terminal signage was equally deficient, at least in T3. And the common rental car facility -- while a big improvement from the former cramped rental car lots on the terminal roofs -- is so poorly designed that the shuttle buses queuing to pick up passengers block the access for returning rental vehicles. Add the miserably poor lounge facilities, and "the pits" would be a good way to describe our 2017 experience. I'll be looking to avoid MAN if at all possible on the next visit to the north of England.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:56 am

Acc. to their webiste, LX is using the Wilmslow Lounge in MAN.

Is it any good or better than Aspire? Any experience here with this lounge?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Originally Posted by The Wolf
I just don't bother going into these kind of lounges anymore and rather have a coffee or a beer in a regular caf or bar and actually enjoy it.
+1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.