LH carry on weight check

Old Oct 5, 18, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

LH carry on weight check

Hello,

Has anyone actually ever seen LH check the carry on weight of standard carryon bags? My bag is definitely over the 8kg allowance, although it doesn't look oversized so I am hoping to get it past the gate agent without it being weighed. I am departing from ORD.

Thanks!
Old Oct 5, 18, 1:17 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Plat, HH Gold, AMEX Plat
If you check in bags at the counter, I have seen the agent weight your carry on. I have only seen gate agents checking the weight of carry on bags at LHR. Most gates don't even have a scale. How much does your carry on weight?
Old Oct 5, 18, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

22 pounds / 10 kg right now, will likely still add a pound or two with toiletries. I don't have any checked bags so hopefully I am in the clear at ORD.
Old Oct 5, 18, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by billy10drs View Post
22 pounds / 10 kg right now, will likely still add a pound or two with toiletries. I don't have any checked bags so hopefully I am in the clear at ORD.
There was a whole semi-nasty thread on this on this forum a few months ago. You should try to search for it for info/various perspectives.
Old Oct 5, 18, 3:45 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NYC1 View Post
There was a whole semi-nasty thread on this on this forum a few months ago. You should try to search for it for info/various perspectives.
Is this the nasty thread you have in mind?

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]
Old Oct 6, 18, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
Yes, it was the thread that started at post #499 of the one you linked.
Old Oct 6, 18, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
I have never had LH check my carry-on bag weight. I'd say with what you report ... you a >99% chance it is just fine.
Old Oct 6, 18, 12:42 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Plat, HH Gold, AMEX Plat
You are most likely fine if you are only over by 2kg. Most people get checked due to the size of the carry-on. Is the size within limits?
Old Oct 6, 18, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: DM 3.3MM, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titan Elite, Hertz PresC
LH has been checking the carry on weight at the check in counter whenever you have no bags to check. As soon as you check bag(s) on the other hand they typically just do a "virtual" inspection for size. LHR is the worst of the international LH stations. In one case FRA gates did take away one of my carry on bags while others boarded behind me with 3 pieces while I was still a Senator.
Old Oct 6, 18, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by billy10drs View Post
Hello,

Has anyone actually ever seen LH check the carry on weight of standard carryon bags? My bag is definitely over the 8kg allowance, although it doesn't look oversized so I am hoping to get it past the gate agent without it being weighed. I am departing from ORD.

Thanks!
Never had my carry on weighed. Both at MUC and EWR I recently checked in, got tickets at the counter, and had a carryon. At neither spot did they ask to weigh my bag...only asked if I wanted to check it in.
While I was in line to board in FRA, a man next to me in line stated asked me if they had weighed my bag. I told him no. He said that LH has weighed his carry on, but it only occured in Italy, never Germany for him. Guess some places enforce the rule and others don't.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: