FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   LH carry on weight check (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1934084-lh-carry-weight-check.html)

billy10drs Oct 5, 18 12:16 pm

LH carry on weight check
 
Hello,

Has anyone actually ever seen LH check the carry on weight of standard carryon bags? My bag is definitely over the 8kg allowance, although it doesn't look oversized so I am hoping to get it past the gate agent without it being weighed. I am departing from ORD.

Thanks!

chipguy Oct 5, 18 1:17 pm

If you check in bags at the counter, I have seen the agent weight your carry on. I have only seen gate agents checking the weight of carry on bags at LHR. Most gates don't even have a scale. How much does your carry on weight?

billy10drs Oct 5, 18 1:28 pm

22 pounds / 10 kg right now, will likely still add a pound or two with toiletries. I don't have any checked bags so hopefully I am in the clear at ORD.

NYC1 Oct 5, 18 3:23 pm


Originally Posted by billy10drs (Post 30282889)
22 pounds / 10 kg right now, will likely still add a pound or two with toiletries. I don't have any checked bags so hopefully I am in the clear at ORD.

There was a whole semi-nasty thread on this on this forum a few months ago. You should try to search for it for info/various perspectives.

NewbieRunner Oct 5, 18 3:45 pm


Originally Posted by NYC1 (Post 30283275)
There was a whole semi-nasty thread on this on this forum a few months ago. You should try to search for it for info/various perspectives.

Is this the nasty thread you have in mind?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...-feedback.html

NYC1 Oct 6, 18 9:37 am


Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 30283365)
Is this the nasty thread you have in mind?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...-feedback.html

Yes, it was the thread that started at post #499 of the one you linked.

cfischer Oct 6, 18 11:11 am

I have never had LH check my carry-on bag weight. I'd say with what you report ... you a >99% chance it is just fine.

chipguy Oct 6, 18 12:42 pm

You are most likely fine if you are only over by 2kg. Most people get checked due to the size of the carry-on. Is the size within limits?

Christefan Oct 6, 18 2:28 pm

LH has been checking the carry on weight at the check in counter whenever you have no bags to check. As soon as you check bag(s) on the other hand they typically just do a "virtual" inspection for size. LHR is the worst of the international LH stations. In one case FRA gates did take away one of my carry on bags while others boarded behind me with 3 pieces while I was still a Senator.

ToddSpam Oct 6, 18 8:21 pm


Originally Posted by billy10drs (Post 30282660)
Hello,

Has anyone actually ever seen LH check the carry on weight of standard carryon bags? My bag is definitely over the 8kg allowance, although it doesn't look oversized so I am hoping to get it past the gate agent without it being weighed. I am departing from ORD.

Thanks!

Never had my carry on weighed. Both at MUC and EWR I recently checked in, got tickets at the counter, and had a carryon. At neither spot did they ask to weigh my bag...only asked if I wanted to check it in.
While I was in line to board in FRA, a man next to me in line stated asked me if they had weighed my bag. I told him no. He said that LH has weighed his carry on, but it only occured in Italy, never Germany for him. Guess some places enforce the rule and others don't.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:19 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.