Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAH-FRA-PEK award in F questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
IAH-FRA-PEK award in F questions

Hi All,

Managed to snag a last-minute award ticket in F from IAH-FRA-PEK. Had a ton of United miles and decided to spurge of myself for a 1st-time F experience. Just wondering if anyone has any adivce or suggestions on how to maximize my experience both in-flight and on the ground. I was planning on checking out the Polaris lounge in Houston & FC lounge in FRA (maybe go into the City for a bit with my 8 hour layover). I'm not sure if I'd be entitled to car-plane service in FRA but would definately love that as well. Is there anythign else I'm missing? Any meal or alcohol specialties on either flight? I've been reading some online reviews of LH first as well as going through the FT forums for this info as well.

Thanks to all in advance,
Voldoo
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Good for you! I've only been in the ORD Polaris lounge, but it was great. One thing about the lay-out was that we had to go all the way to the back of the lounge to find the a la carte/waiter-service dining section; not sure if that's the same in IAH. Lots of nice, smallish plates you can order, and you can order as many as you want - assuming they don't ruin your appetite for your LH flight. It's not comparison to the LH First Class Terminal or other fine F lounges, but for a business class lounge it's great. As a former bartender, I would suggest that you leave a tip for the wait staff.

The seats on LH F aren't quite as swank or private as some other carriers, but the general ambiance of the cabin and great, professional service more than compensate for that. My wife did a fun wine flight on one of our LH F trips, but that might depend on the specific FA serving you. I don't recall how great the video selection is, so you might want to load some options onto your laptop or tablet. Of course, try to get a window seat.

You're definitely entitled to car-plane service in FRA, at least from the First Class Terminal to your flight (not sure about vice versa, but you can call LH or check in this forum to find out). Assuming you can't get a car from your IAH-FRA flight to the FCT, walking within the airport to the FCT is a hassle. So the best way to get there is to actually go through Immigration upon arrival (no problem with telling the agent that this is exactly what you're doing, if they ask), then turn left once you get outside. You won't see the FCT at first, but walk a few minutes until you see a canteen where lots of taxi drivers are eating and hanging out, then another minute or two and you'll see the FCT across the road on your left. Not the most elegant way to access a lounge, but the easiest for this particular one. Best to have your onward boarding pass with you when you get there.

There's a whole thread here in this forum about the FCT, including how to get there, but I've summed up what I think is the gist of the directions. Some folks post that the "regular" LH first class lounge(s) in FRA are just as good, but I think the experience in the FCT is worth going for in terms of the staff there handling your immigration matters for departure and other aspects of the experience.

As for the FCT, like LH F it's a bit understated but great. As I mentioned, fun to have the staff handle all of your immigration details for leaving the country and to take that Porsche of other upscale car ride to the plane (though you might have to share the car with another passenger). Very good waiter-service dining options, a bar with some great Scotch and other liquor selections, big bathrooms to take a shower or bath, several rooms to catch a bit of shut-eye in, etc. For the bathroom and sleep rooms, you might want to book them upon arrival at the lounge or at least with plenty of time to spare, as they can get filled up. You could easily pass your entire layover in the FCT in considerable comfort.

Years ago I went into the city from the airport and bopped around a bit, so I know it can be done and could be a nice option on a nice day. I'm not sure about where to store carry-on luggage, however. Regardless, I'd build at least a few hours in the FCT itself into your trip or simply pass the entire time there.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Thank you so much for the info! I'm glad you mentioned tipping at the Polaris lounges because someone had mentioned to me once that airline employees were not allowed to accept gratuities, so I would not have planned on doing this. The detailed info you provided while connecting in FRA is very valuable.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
You're welcome! Happy trails!
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: LH SEN *
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I don't recall how great the video selection is, so you might want to load some options onto your laptop or tablet.
I think Lufthansa IFE selection is really good.
And the IFE selection for your particular flight can be checked online when you enter your flight details here:
https://www.lufthansa-inflightentertainment.com/en/

Also, it might be a good idea to view the menu offered on your flight:
https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/menu-card
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Last question to you all:

I have a 2nd itinerary option now from LAX-FRA-MUC-PEK all in F except for the FRA-MUC leg obviously. (I'd want to connect to MUC to fly the A380 since the LAX-FRA leg is on the A340). I know that the FRA first lounge/terminal won't allow me access with only the arrival boarding pass. However, will I get to access the lounge(s) during my layover since I have a F ticket that day but departing from MUC?

Also, does anyone know MUC would have car service to the the PEK flight (LH 722)? I'm told that it depends specifically on what gate/terminal you are departing out of.

Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: LH SEN *
Originally Posted by Voldoo

I have a 2nd itinerary option now from LAX-FRA-MUC-PEK all in F except for the FRA-MUC leg obviously. (I'd want to connect to MUC to fly the A380 since the LAX-FRA leg is on the A340). I know that the FRA first lounge/terminal won't allow me access with only the arrival boarding pass. However, will I get to access the lounge(s) during my layover since I have a F ticket that day but departing from MUC?
If you arrive in FRA on LH F and continue on LH flight in any class on the same day, you are allowed in LH First Class lounge. FCL B will drive you to the plane.
I don't know about MUC limo F service, I'm sure others will help.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:33 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Voldoo

Also, does anyone know MUC would have car service to the the PEK flight (LH 722)? I'm told that it depends specifically on what gate/terminal you are departing out of.

Thanks!
You have access to the First Class Lounge (as an arrival lounge) on the day of arrival in FRA and access to the FCT/FCL in FRA as long as your MUC-PEK flight in F is on the same day that you depart from FRA to MUC. They will drive you to your MUC flight from the FCT.

There is no car service to your flight in MUC as almost all longhaul flights depart from a gate position.

BTW in order to walk from the main terminal to the FCT make sure you leave the terminal on the arrival level which is one floor below where the check-in counters are located.

P.S. One thing about the MUC FCL I forgot to mention: on arrival in MUC just head for the nearest FCL. There is passport control within the lounge so you don’t have to go through regular immigration in MUC.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:51 am
Original Poster

You guys are great, thanks so much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.