M&M Mastercard and Diners for UK members [ended April 2021]

Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
Time for me to add to this thread. I had the old LH Amex/Visa card for a number of years, and it was great - my go-to card. Reasonable points earning, and MBNA back-office so it ran pretty smoothly. I applied for the new Diners/Mastercard set up almost as soon as it was available. Like some others here, it took an age to arrive, and there was a problem getting the PINs. They send them by text, but they had input my telephone number incorrectly. That pretty well sums up the mickey-mouse operation behind this card. You can only contact them Monday to Friday in office hours. It took many attempts to deal with the PIN issue because nobody checked the details. When I asked what the foreign currency charge was (reasonable for an airline card), nobody knew. Promises to find out and tell me were broken.

The cards themselves are somewhat strange. It is a regular Diners club card. The MC is not a credit card but a card which is loaded with money when you use it from the Diners card. In effect it is a prepaid card which you don't have to worry about loading in advance. The very first time I tried to use the card it was refused. Since it was on a Saturday, there was nobody to call to deal with the problem. Rang them on Monday and they told me that it was above the amount which triggers a check. The amount was 5k (well below my credit limit). I was told this would happen every time I used the card for this amount. I asked for the amount to be increased. Initially they said this could be done, but then cam e back and said that 5k was higher than they could authorise.

So there it is, a useless card for anyone who travels or who has expensive purchases unless you want to do all your purchases 9 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday UK time when the office is open to authorise a payment.
craigthemif and Mackle like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Truffles
Time for me to add to this thread. I had the old LH Amex/Visa card for a number of years, and it was great - my go-to card. Reasonable points earning, and MBNA back-office so it ran pretty smoothly. I applied for the new Diners/Mastercard set up almost as soon as it was available. Like some others here, it took an age to arrive, and there was a problem getting the PINs. They send them by text, but they had input my telephone number incorrectly. That pretty well sums up the mickey-mouse operation behind this card. You can only contact them Monday to Friday in office hours. It took many attempts to deal with the PIN issue because nobody checked the details. When I asked what the foreign currency charge was (reasonable for an airline card), nobody knew. Promises to find out and tell me were broken.

The cards themselves are somewhat strange. It is a regular Diners club card. The MC is not a credit card but a card which is loaded with money when you use it from the Diners card. In effect it is a prepaid card which you don't have to worry about loading in advance. The very first time I tried to use the card it was refused. Since it was on a Saturday, there was nobody to call to deal with the problem. Rang them on Monday and they told me that it was above the amount which triggers a check. The amount was 5k (well below my credit limit). I was told this would happen every time I used the card for this amount. I asked for the amount to be increased. Initially they said this could be done, but then cam e back and said that 5k was higher than they could authorise.

So there it is, a useless card for anyone who travels or who has expensive purchases unless you want to do all your purchases 9 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday UK time when the office is open to authorise a payment.
Agree with this entirely ^

After waiting ages for the cards to arrive & other shortcomings I told them to stick the cards where the Sun never shines

I also didnt like the absence of payment protection one gets with Credit Cards.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:59 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I finally got round to activating my Diners card. The phone agent was very helpful and offered to check which ATMs near me can be used to change the PIN: two discount stores and a petrol station. Very upmarket!

I also received in my M&M inbox a Lufthansa Business Lounge voucher which is part of the sign-up gift. I was going to gift it to someone in the US so they can use it to visit the business lounge in IAD, BOS, etc. when flying domestic but it turned out you have to be departing on a LH Group carrier. Also according to the small print the Voucher is "valid for the primary Miles & More credit card holder or a travel companion" which makes it less useful as I'll need two guests. It goes on to state: "The sale as well as the offer for auction of the lounge voucher to a third party is prohibited." Presumably it's ok to give it away but do I really have to be present for someone to use the voucher?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I Presumably it's ok to give it away but do I really have to be present for someone to use the voucher?
Fine to give it away, I did so with my FCL voucher from last year, same T& CS
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:20 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by chris63

Fine to give it away, I did so with my FCL voucher from last year, same T& CS
Thanks, that's good to know.
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Anyone used Diners card for lounge access? I used it more than 10 days ago and it hasn't posted to my account. I wonder how much time it takes. I want to make sure I'm not charged more than 15 stated in T&C. Lounge voucher is pretty useless with limited conditions. I don't fly LH too often, but I think, I will be able to use it on my next flight in MUC lounge.

I use this card when I remember, so couple of transactions per month, usually no more than 200. My statement says limit is 2500 so wouldn't use it for anything serious anyway. I put all travel related costs on Amex that gives me extra insurance and earns me points I can exchange for Miles and More or United.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey
I put all travel related costs on Amex that gives me extra insurance and earns me points I can exchange for Miles and More or United.
Exchange for Miles and More? Is that the SPG Amex then? Is the M&M earning rate pretty good that way, how does it compare to this Diners Club card?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Yes, it's AMEX SPG and gives more choice where to convert points. SPG points earning is 1 point per 1, M&M Diners/Mastercard is 1.25 point per 1. If you transfer from SPG to airline in batches of 60,000 then you are getting 1.25 miles per 1. I realised that flights that are most interesting to me, are cheaper on United. The same flight on M&M is 40K miles or 25K miles on United. So, it's much more efficient to transfer points to United than trying to earn more on M&M.

I plan to spend my M&M miles this year and not extend M&M card, no point to keep paying for it. SPG is much more useful and I can transfer to M&M if needed. I don't fly Lufthansa too often, so I'm not at risk of collecting miles that will expire in future. That's the only reason I applied for M&M Diners cars, to keep my miles alive and 10K miles bonus was decent.

Of course, there's major difference where you can pay with AMEX and where you can pay with Mastercard. However Mastercard can't be used on petrol stations as it's pre-paid and I haven't try to use Diners there.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
I assume I cant but worth trying.

can you put the M&M MasterCard onto Curve?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Lewis42
nope. it's a prepaid card and as such doesn't work with curve.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
How soon after getting the cards are people receiving the lounge voucher email? I received my Diners Club card in mid-January, but haven't heard anything about my lounge voucher yet. I have two OS flights next month that I'm hoping I might use it on...
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Deltus
How soon after getting the cards are people receiving the lounge voucher email? I received my Diners Club card in mid-January, but haven't heard anything about my lounge voucher yet. I have two OS flights next month that I'm hoping I might use it on...
I received my card on 10 December and a lounge voucher on 22 January. It will come into your M&M inbox.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Originally Posted by Lewis42
I assume I cant but worth trying.

I tried when I first got it and it didn't work. I tried last week to pre-load Revolut and that DID work - it's not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

I raised a request for this card with Curve, who said that they would risk assess it, and have recently received a mail to say that it's with their operations team so will hopefully be added within the next couple of months (which softens the blow of not being able to use my BA Amex with curve).
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mackle
I tried when I first got it and it didn't work. I tried last week to pre-load Revolut and that DID work - it's not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

I raised a request for this card with Curve, who said that they would risk assess it, and have recently received a mail to say that it's with their operations team so will hopefully be added within the next couple of months (which softens the blow of not being able to use my BA Amex with curve).
I tried a Revolut top-up with this card and it got treated as a cash advance, so I got dinged 3%. Did you somehow avoid the charge?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:03 am

I will check and let you know ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.