Wiki Posts
Search

M&M Mastercard and Diners for UK members [ended April 2021]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN/*G
M&M Mastercard and Diners for UK members [ended April 2021]

I received an email today inviting me to apply for a combined Mastercard and Diners (?!) at a price of GBP79 per year.

10k miles sign up bonus, 1 LH Business Lounge pass sign up gift, 1.25 miles eached per 1GBP spent, and protection against miles expiry (subject to minimum one transaction per month).

As a SEN, I don't think this is worth it for me, but I know some status-less colleageues may value it to protect their miles from expiring.

Details here: https://www.milesandmorecards.co.uk/
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:13 am

I got this as well - truly bizarre that Diners Club is still going.

However if the on-going earning rate for the Mastercard portion is indeed 1.25 miles per £, then that's actually a very good deal IMHO.

Curious if it s a charge or a credit card though.

Edited to add, just re-read the email and it is indeed a Charge Card, as opposed to a credit card.

Last edited by Dave_C; Oct 2, 2018 at 5:21 am
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by BristolTraveller
As a SEN, I don't think this is worth it for me, but I know some status-less colleageues may value it to protect their miles from expiring.
I would ask them if waive the annual fee for SENs, as they do in most markets.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:36 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave_C
I got this as well - truly bizarre that Diners Club is still going.

However if the on-going earning rate for the Mastercard portion is indeed 1.25 miles per £, then that's actually a very good deal IMHO.

Curious if it s a charge or a credit card though.
I think it is a charge card. From the T&C: "The Miles & More Global Traveller Account is a charge card account and not a credit card account. This means that we do not provide credit on a month-by-month basis. All amounts charged to the Account in a statement period must be paid to Us by the Due Date for that statement."

I have not applied for any cards to replace my MBNA credit cards yet but the Starwood Preferred Guest American Express credit card might be an alternative. If you transfer 60,000 points to M&M you get a 5,000 miles bonus so effectively earn 1.25 miles per £1 spent and a sign-up bonus is 30,000 points if you spend £1,000 in the first 3 months. The annual fee is £75. The only problem is that it's an Amex card and may not be accepted in some places in the UK.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Oct 3, 2018 at 9:21 am Reason: Confusion re points earned
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN/*G
"some places in the UK"

* most

Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:36 am

As always, Raffles has done his very thorough job in reviewing these new cards in today's Head for Points.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:46 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by Dave_C
As always, Raffles has done his very thorough job in reviewing these new cards in today's Head for Points.
The answer is easy for him who has M&M miles but without status. For those with M&M status the answer is not as straightforward. My experience of Amex is not as bad as BristolTraveller’s but there are a number of places which do not take Amex. With MBNA cards it was easy. Amex not accepted? Whip out a Visa which still earned some miles.

I would like to have one card which earns M&M miles either directly or indirectly. So should it be the new M&M Global Traveller Card or the SPG Amex?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
With the sign up bonus in year 1 it’s a good deal 👍
Old Oct 4, 2018, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by chris63
With the sign up bonus in year 1 it’s a good deal 👍
You get a similar sign-up bonus with the SPG Amex.

Pros for the M&M Global Traveller Card (Mastercard)
- it’s not Amex
- sign-up bonus

Cons for the M&M Global Traveller Card (Mastercard)
- it’s a “pre-paid” card and may not work at places requiring preauthorisation, eg hotels and car rental outlets
- possibly a higher rate of declined transactions (according to Headforpoints)
- possibly no Section 75 protection
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
I recently applied for SPG and trying to spend £1000 which is not easy on Amex if you don't have anything bigger to buy. I will apply for this new card in a month or so, to keep my miles from expiring. I think I will use it as company card and expense the annual fee. It would be good if someone could update us how much time it took to get the card.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Anyone applied and received anything? I applied about a week ago and never heard anything back except email confirming application. I didn't see any search in credit agencies either.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey
Anyone applied and received anything? I applied about a week ago and never heard anything back except email confirming application. I didn't see any search in credit agencies either.
Same here. On one hand it's good to hear I'm not the only one completely ignored by DC
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Update to the above: I've just received a welcome email confirming the cards are on their way.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: BD *Gold; BAEC Gold; Flying Blue Gold; SPG Gold; HH Gold
Originally Posted by wmaciej
Update to the above: I've just received a welcome email confirming the cards are on their way.
When did you apply for your card?
I applied at the beginning of October and as yet have not heard from them.
I emailed the new application team and received this reply:

We are currently experiencing a backlog of applications since the new program has begun.The current timescales are 7-14 days

Though my application is now over the 7-14 days timescale
Hoping they would process mine quicker.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by kiwidragon
When did you apply for your card?
I applied at the beginning of October and as yet have not heard from them.
I emailed the new application team and received this reply:

We are currently experiencing a backlog of applications since the new program has begun.The current timescales are 7-14 days

Though my application is now over the 7-14 days timescale
Hoping they would process mine quicker.
I've applied on 3 October. Received the MC card earlier this week but DC is still on it's way.
kiwidragon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.