Search

M&M Mastercard and Diners for UK members [ended April 2021]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by chris63

From how hard they are pushing this, one imagines it’s not going well..... main thing that put me off is none of the protection you get with a credit card.
now we know you can pay HMRC with this card for free and get 1.25 miles per £1 on your tax payments I think interest will pick up :-)
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 3:48 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Raffles
now we know you can pay HMRC with this card for free and get 1.25 miles per £1 on your tax payments I think interest will pick up :-)
We can pay HMRC with it for free?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Yes, that ought to be a payment you can make without needing payment protection
Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vantage03
We can pay HMRC with it for free?
You always could, but we didn't realise. It's a prepaid Mastercard debit card remember.

However ..... they get stroppy if you pay corporate taxes eg VAT. Seemingly no issues with personal tax. They ARE broken out on your statement so it is clear what has been paid.
vantage03 and yurtripper like this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
You always could, but we didn't realise. It's a prepaid Mastercard debit card remember.

However ..... they get stroppy if you pay corporate taxes eg VAT. Seemingly no issues with personal tax. They ARE broken out on your statement so it is clear what has been paid.
Great thanks for the info! Shame I paid my tax last month, but know now for next year!
Old Feb 4, 2020, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I got more or less turned down for this card. They wanted to see all sorts of things including evidence of a salary and lots of movements on a bank account and I'm not really generating a salary in the UK these days (although I'm a Brit). So I didn't bother following it all through. It's odd, because I was instantly approved for the Virgin Atlantic card. I wonder what the Lufthansa card people are so scared of!
Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue Gold. Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Radisson Gold, Marriott Gold
Getting a weird message when trying to log in to my Miles & More Diners Club Account tonight:

Invalid phone number.
Please contact support.

Anyone else, or is it just me?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SouthWesterner
Getting a weird message when trying to log in to my Miles & More Diners Club Account tonight:

Invalid phone number.
Please contact support.

Anyone else, or is it just me?
They have started 2 factor authentication so you need the 6 digit code SMSd to your phone.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue Gold. Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Radisson Gold, Marriott Gold
They have started 2 factor authentication so you need the 6 digit code SMSd to your phone.
Hmm. Not sure I ever received one. Nor can I see a space to type one in.

Might need to give them a call when they're open in the morning.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat

I have just been reading about this and paying HMRC really peaked my interest. My personal tax is relatively low, however my corporate tax bill is pretty high. I haven't asked my Accountant about this, but a) Is it possible to pay your corporate tax bill personally (i.e. transfer the corproate tax amount to your personal bank and pay on behalf of the company) and b) You say they get stroppy, does that mean its allowed but they don't like it or it is not allowed?
Old Aug 21, 2020, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The sort of tax you pay shows on your card statement, eg HMRC SA for self assessment.

Feedback from Head for Points readers is that paying corporate tax or VAT will get you a telephone call from Affiniture warning you off, with a threat of card closure.

On the other hand, I am putting through a substantial six figure sum of personal tax each year with no problems to date. I am paying in weekly installments to avoid panicking them too much.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 5:28 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Just noticed this announcement when I tried to log into my M&M card account. I wonder if it will replace the current Diners/MasterCard combo?

Enjoy unparalleled worldwide acceptance with the new Miles & More Global Traveller VISA Card from Cornercard UK. Due to launch in Summer 2021, the Miles & More Global Traveller card will offer excellent benefits, acceptance and customer service, alongside the possibility to earn 1.25 award miles for every £1 spent.

We invite you to register your interest by leaving your name and email address and we‘ll contact you by email as soon as applications open.
chris63 and romans like this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not clear.

Note the lack of Diners. At present the structure is 'M&M contracts with Affiniture / Diners Club which contracts with Cornercard to do the Mastercard bit'.

New structure clearly cuts out Affiniture, probably at its request because no-one is using the Diners element. They may want 'out' if they are losing money and could force a transfer.

The new card looks like it is still a prepaid charge card so hopefully no big changes.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 8:52 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I hope they overhaul the website at the same time. The current functionality is extremely basic. You cannot even make an online payment to reduce your balance - you have to email/call them to request their bank details and then execute manual transfers. There's very little info about the transactions themselves, and often they take a long time to appear. They also mandate a DD to cover the full payment (as there is no easy alternative payment mechanism), which should be changed to give the option to pay specific amounts (see above).
Old Jan 19, 2021, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yurtripper
I hope they overhaul the website at the same time. The current functionality is extremely basic. You cannot even make an online payment to reduce your balance - you have to email/call them to request their bank details and then execute manual transfers. There's very little info about the transactions themselves, and often they take a long time to appear. They also mandate a DD to cover the full payment (as there is no easy alternative payment mechanism), which should be changed to give the option to pay specific amounts (see above).
To be honest, doing manual transfers from my HSBC account to Diners is quicker than paying my MBNA card via their app. Admittedly Amex is slicker than MBNA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.