Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K, Senator
M&M Award Travel - 3 Region Dealbreaker

New LH Senator here, very frustrated to have discovered this yesterday:

Miles Calculator on M&M website says:
MIA-TLV / BIZ (I) = 67,000 + fees, one way
MIA-TLV / FIRST (O) = 105,000 + fees, one way

When I called the Senator hotline to book my first LH/LX reward flight, she said that the mile calculator was incorrect because this flight is a "3 region" flight. Therefor, the actual cost is:

MIA-TLV / BIZ (I) = 92,000 + fees, one way
MIA-TLV / FIRST (O) = 145,0000 + fees, one way

I always understood you earn less miles w/ M&M compared to UA MP, but the award flights cost less, so I was ok with that. However, if this 3 region rule is true, then as an M&M Senator compared to a UA 1K, I earn half the amount of award points AND pay more points per award flight AND pay fees! I love LH/LX, and I would much prefer to stick with them, but this is clearly a bad deal.

Please someone tell me that the kind Senator Hotline representative was mistaken! Otherwise, so long M&M.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Welcome to the truth of LH Miles and Less
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
The Senator hotline rep was absolutely correct in what she said. You're going from USA to Middle East via Europe. That's three regions right there.
andywaw likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by FlyingBaker

True! And the Biz rate for kids displayed is 101.250. These indications make no sense.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: LH SEN *
Originally Posted by FlyingBaker

When I called the Senator hotline to book my first LH/LX reward flight, she said that the mile calculator was incorrect because this flight is a "3 region" flight. Therefor, the actual cost is:

MIA-TLV / BIZ (I) = 92,000 + fees, one way
MIA-TLV / FIRST (O) = 145,0000 + fees, one way
You and the assistant were both correct, the problem is that you and her meant different itineraries.

As far as I understand award rules of Miles & More, a "2 region" award means an itinerary from a place in zone A to a destination in zone B without a stop in another zone.

If you book a flight from North America zone (USA or Canada) to Middle East zone (Israel) it is considered "2 zone award" and the number of miles for award travel between these zones applies according to the table, namely 135.000 for business class return and 67.000 for business class one way. You are allowed to book up to 6 flight segments (return trip) and make 2 stopovers apart from staying in your destination. Stopovers are not permitted in the zone where you start your journey and not permitted in one way bookings.
Hence,, MIA-YYZ-TLV (Air Canada/United) or MIA-EWR-TLV (United) - these award itineraries are "2 zones" and will be 67.000 Business Class one way.

However, a "3 region" award means an itinerary from a place in zone A to a destination in zone B which involves a stop in one more zone.
So if you want to fly via Europe on LH or LX - it is considered "3 regions" because it involves a stop (change of planes) in EUROPE zone:
MIA is North America > FRA is Europe > TLV is Middle East = 3 regions.
With a "3 zone" award return booking you can take up to 8 flights with 2 stopovers, which can be made in this case in Europe or Middle East .

Last edited by andywaw; Sep 18, 2018 at 3:57 pm
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Sorry to burst your bubble, but your interpretation is incorrect. A 3-Region award comes into effect every time your itinerary touches a 3rd zone / region. That's the key here. Stopover or transfer under 24hrs doesn't matter.

The examples from US via Canada to Israel will work as normal award as both US and Canada are classified in the same zone - North America. Those are the best routing options if availability can be found.

However, North America via Europe to Middle East will invoke the 3-Region award as the itinerary touches a 3rd region with Europe, even if it is only a connection. Simple as that.

Last edited by demue; Sep 18, 2018 at 7:58 pm
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
When it's a direct flight, it's a two region flight. Whenever a connection is required that's in a third region, pricing goes up.

United has direct flights from the US to TLV that would price at 67,000 miles. If you fly LH it's 92,000 miles.

A funny one is:

SQ: SIN-JFK in Business: 67,000 miles.
LH: SIN-FRA-JFK in Business: 92,000 miles.

SQ stops in FRA but continues under the same flight number, so it's a considered a direct flight.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by SMK77
SQ stops in FRA but continues under the same flight number, so it's a considered a direct flight.
Because it is a direct flight, it's just not a non-stop flight
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:02 am

Same issue for example when you want to travel from the US to southern Asia. Most options require a connection in Japan or Korea which are in a different Zone from for example Thailand.
Other programs (like AA) have a list of allowed routings for regular awards, I wish Miles and Less would implement something similar. The current rules don't make much sense.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:42 am

Agreed that this rule doesn't pass the sniff test from the passenger's perspective. It does make sense from LH's perspective, though, as you want to disincentivize people from getting too creative in their award routings (Munich to NYC via Tokyo etc.).

I've argued to the point of being blue in the face with UA agents when trying to use UAMP miles that since there is no way NOT to touch a third region when flying from Europe to Australia that the non-stop points should apply - or the option should be taken off the award table. Nobody cared :-)

Last edited by tnmlyger; Sep 19, 2018 at 6:14 am Reason: Corrected typo and added clarification
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by tnmlyger
I've argued to the point of being blue in the face that since there is no way NOT to touch a third region when flying from Europe to Australia that the non-stop points should apply - or the option should be taken off the award table. Nobody cared :-)
Isn't a Europe - Australia award costing exactly the same (100/185/290k for Y/C/F) as a 3-region award anyway?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by fereke
Isn't a Europe - Australia award costing exactly the same (100/185/290k for Y/C/F) as a 3-region award anyway?
Yes, you are right. I was talking about UAMP in that paragraph and should have mentioned that.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by SMK77
A funny one is:

SQ: SIN-JFK in Business: 67,000 miles.
LH: SIN-FRA-JFK in Business: 92,000 miles.
I would love this to be more than a theoretical exercise. Unfortunately, I was never able to book awards on SQ{25, 26} through M&M.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: LH SEN *
Originally Posted by demue
Sorry to burst your bubble, but your interpretation is incorrect. A 3-Region award comes into effect every time your itinerary touches a 3rd zone / region. That's the key here. Stopover or transfer under 24hrs doesn't matter.

The examples from US via Canada to Israel will work as normal award as both US and Canada are classified in the same zone - North America. Those are the best routing options if availability can be found.

However, North America via Europe to Middle East will invoke the 3-Region award as the itinerary touches a 3rd region with Europe, even if it is only a connection. Simple as that.
I don't have a bubble to burst.
And I wrote exactly what you did. (I used a word "stop" where I should have used "transfer", sorry about it).
US via Canada to Israel is 2 regions - that's what I said.
North America via Europe to Middle East is 3 regions - I said that too.
Mentioning stopovers was just extra information for those who don't know that they are allowed to make two stopovers when booking return trips across 2 regions or 3 regions.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K, Senator
Wow. So it's true. What a bummer!

So disappointed/frustrated to be finding this out now, would have loved a little more clarity on the miles calculator on the M&M website. I expected to earn less but spend less, not EARN LESS & SPEND MORE!

EARNING
United 1K MP - LH Metal, MIA-TLV (Z) RT EARNS 36,498 Award Miles (RT)
Lufthansa Sen M&M - LH Metal, MIA-TLV (Z) RT EARNS 23,160 Award Miles (RT)

Therefor, you earn about 37% less award miles with M&M

SPENDING
United 1K MP - LH Metal, MIA-TLV (I) One way COSTS 85,000 + $112.00 fees.
Lufthansa Sen M&M - LH Metal, MIA-TLV (I) One way COSTS 92,000 + $300.00 fees.

Therefor, you spend about 8% more award miles and about 270% more fees w/ M&M. YIKES!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.