Search

Cats on intl flights?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Cats on intl flights?

Hey FT,

Had probably one of the worst INTL flight experiences in a looong time. Going MUC - LAX on LH 452 yesterday, seated with my wife in 22A/C. 1 row back and on the opposite side of the cabin is a woman and her toddler child and a cat in a cat carrier.

I've never seen a cat on an intl flight before, and it may be different from Europe over to the US, but it caused everyone in the cabin a huge headache, as it was meowing and going insane in it's crate. You could hear it through the bose noise cancelling earphones that they provide you in the seat. The cat would make sounds for 30 minutes straight for the entire 12.5 hour flight, and then be quiet for 30 minutes. But when the cat was quiet, the toddler was crying, or running around the cabin.

Drives me INSANE. What is the policy of LH on cats in the cabin? and what can passengers do if it's making life a living hell during the flight? I know I wasn't the only one who was upset.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Rumples
What is the policy of LH on cats in the cabin?
Cats and dogs under 8kg (including pet carrier) are allowed on board as hand luggage.

https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Travel-with-animals

Cats can be very very annoying, but I am sure the poor animal was not doing it on purpose to annoy humans (or yes, who knows), just because was in an unfamiliar environment.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Sounds like the child and ...... parent are the much more serious problems...
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Bring an emotional support dog next time?

As so often the issue is not the cat but the behavior of the adult (or lack thereof), and that is something that you can ask an FA to address.
chris63 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:53 pm

too bad they couldn't / didn't let the cat out to walk around...it may have been quiet, and cats walking around on a plane would be awesome!!!
trooper, msp3, piotrger and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
Cats and dogs under 8kg (including pet carrier) are allowed on board as hand luggage.

https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Travel-with-animals

Cats can be very very annoying, but I am sure the poor animal was not doing it on purpose to annoy humans (or yes, who knows), just because was in an unfamiliar environment.
Agreed, annoying, but also something I know that's not the cats fault, and the toddler is just being a toddler, so hard to blame anyone...
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:16 am

Not sure if they still do but Malaysia Airlines was banning babies from F on their 380. I remember a lot of controversial discussion about this policy. Personally I would select an airline because of such a ban, but I also understand why people believe such a policy being wrong.
windchaser777 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.