Search

Austrian damaged my child stroller and won't pay compensation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The stroller is mentioned in the first post, its a Cybex Priam: CYBEX PRIAM

Further down that product page you see how it folds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=1CpT6Hh_psw
This thing can be checked in as two pieces, the seat and the carriage. Just as we did it umpteen times with our Hartan. Giving this up as a single item without any bag is like checking in Whiskey bottle without any protection and complaining that it is broken.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
This thing can be checked in as two pieces, the seat and the carriage. Just as we did it umpteen times with our Hartan. Giving this up as a single item without any bag is like checking in Whiskey bottle without any protection and complaining that it is broken.
The stroller was checked as two items, and I have provided and included the two luggage tags earlier in this thread (subsequently had them removed as was told contain personal references).

Last edited by mikimedic; Aug 28, 2018 at 2:33 pm
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by mikimedic
Explain to the manufacturer - what exactly?
'The Austrian airlines oil stained my canopy - can you please clean it'?

You cannot be serious.

On the receipt, what other proof of ownership would you enclose? on compensation - I want compensation for a canopy to be cleaned and the cut fixed; and for a loose handle to be fixed as well. I would certainly request the manufacturer to do so, once I know that Austrian will cover the cost, and I believe this is quite clear in my request to the Austrian.
Yes! Many companies will go above and beyond to build a brand. I have experienced this many times. Call and ask. And if not they can refer you to someone who can repair the damage. Once you have an invoice for the repair you have a specific "ask" for OS. OS is not going to approve reimbursement for a repair that has not yet taken place.

I believe that OS damaged your stroller and should pay for the repairs but it is my humble opinion that your strategy is ineffective. If you don't agree have a lawyer write the next letter.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
Yes! Many companies will go above and beyond to build a brand. I have experienced this many times. Call and ask. And if not they can refer you to someone who can repair the damage. Once you have an invoice for the repair you have a specific "ask" for OS. OS is not going to approve reimbursement for a repair that has not yet taken place.

I believe that OS damaged your stroller and should pay for the repairs but it is my humble opinion that your strategy is ineffective. If you don't agree have a lawyer write the next letter.
Thanks again - and I can see that you are being a constructive and do appreciate this. However, I really don't think this is the route to take - it is a physical and mechanical damage (oil stains plus cut canopy; plus a loose handle) that the Austrian is solely responsible for. As many people like car analogies in this thread, if your car is damaged in an accident that is other party's fault, you don't go to a manufacturer to ask for repairs; you go to the other party involved.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by erik123
My suggestion is to contact the manufacturer as some may well have a warranty that includes more then defects. E.g. Some luggage manufacturers will fix any damage free of charge (like Tumi). If there is a charge have it fixed and send the bill to OS.
Tmi has not done this as a matter of policy for some time. These days, if it is outside the normal warranty period, you have to pay. Their 'no questions asked, we'll fix it no matter how long you've had the item' is sadly gone. You may be thinking of Briggs & Riley.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Tmi has not done this as a matter of policy for some time. These days, if it is outside the normal warranty period, you have to pay. Their 'no questions asked, we'll fix it no matter how long you've had the item' is sadly gone. You may be thinking of Briggs & Riley.
It's good to see snippets of information emerging from these eight pages of nonsense.

The OP is faced with two courses. Make do and mend, or have the vehicle professionally repaired. If opting for the latter, he's free to seek restoration from Austrian. A favourable outcome will be down to the OP's determination and his willingness to appropriate time and funds to the project. But even with the tenacity of a bulldog and the wealth of Croesus, success may well be elusive.

Again, the lesson is CHECK THERE'S NO DAMAGE TO YOUR BAGS BEFORE LEAVING THE AIRPORT.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Regardless of the fact that the airline will pay for the damages, the passenger usually has to get an assesment of the damage and an estimate to repair the damage first when submitting a claim. I doubt anyone but Cybex is authorised to repair this high end stroller... so contacting them for an assesment and estimate of repair is required even for a court case

If Cybex says it cannot be repaired the replacement value comes into play...
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Regardless of the fact that the airline will pay for the damages, the passenger usually has to get an assesment of the damage and an estimate to repair the damage first when submitting a claim. I doubt anyone but Cybex is authorised to repair this high end stroller... so contacting them for an assesment and estimate of repair is required even for a court case

If Cybex says it cannot be repaired the replacement value comes into play...
No need to contact the manufacturer, given that the price of replacement parts is easily identifiable:

canopy: 105 CHF
https://www.buybuybaby.com/1/1/22665...tumn-gold.html

Chassis:
299 GBP

https://groovystyle.co.uk/brands/cyb...r-chassis.html
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You are assuming the canopy and chassis is beyond repair and needs replacement, an assesment of which insurance companies (that are eventually behind the airline's process) usually don't accept. You have to get that assesment from an authorised source... @:-)
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:32 am
Original Poster

You are assuming the canopy and chassis is beyond repair and needs replacement, an assesment of which insurance companies (that are eventually behind the airline's process) usually don't accept. You have to get that assesment from an authorised source... @:-)
The links provided give a rough estimate for replacement. Canopy is certainly beyond repair (i.e. the physical cut). Even if there was no cut, dry cleaning would probably be around the same price (and questionable whether the oil stains could even be removed). As for the chassis repair - repair work per hour in Switzerland plus postage costs would certainly be higher than the replacement.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:19 am
Suspended

Captain Obvious here...

Since FT will not be paying for the repair or replacement, can I suggest that you send all this to OS (again) (no we don’t have any better contact suggestions) or take it up with a lawyer. I am interested in the outcome, but further speculation on the merry-go-round thread will not advance your situation.
mmff and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Captain Obvious here...

Since FT will not be paying for the repair or replacement, can I suggest that you send all this to OS (again) (no we don’t have any better contact suggestions) or take it up with a lawyer. I am interested in the outcome, but further speculation on the merry-go-round thread will not advance your situation.
If this was addressed to me, not sure what exactly are you suggesting that I send to the OS now. I believe I have already provided the OS with all the relevant info. Also, your reference to 'merry-go-round' in this thread, if addressed to me is rather unclear - I am not speculating anything here nor making suggestions. I was merely responding to various suggestions made and explained why they are non-applicable.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:51 am
Suspended

I'm simply wondering what you think posting here will achieve. You have received a lot of advice, which you don't seem to agree with.
Often1 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OS has already answered by denying a claim for anything, whether that is some cash, a replacement or a payment for repairs. That ship has sailed.

OP is left with whatever legal remedies he may have. He signed a contract with OS agreeing to Vienna venue but claims that he has a court somewhere else which will nonetheless adjudicate and enforce his claim, presumably in his favor.

OP should then file that claim wherever and perhaps once filed and then once adjudicated, come back and let us know what happened.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:28 am
Original Poster

I'm simply wondering what you think posting here will achieve. You have received a lot of advice, which you don't seem to agree with.
Simply nothing other than informing the interested public (as I believe the FT has quite some reputation in the flying circles) of the treatment by Austrian airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.