FCT tagged luggage incorrectly now lost

Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
FCT tagged luggage incorrectly now lost

A word of warning. A number of people checked in this morning at FCT at the same time. I arrive in Boston and one unclaimed bag left not mine but had my luggage tag on it. A huge security fail. Also means very unlikely to ever get bag back as god knows whose luggage tag it has on it. Also does anyone know whether Lufthansa reimburse toiletries etc, airport staff gave me notthing. Not exactly a first class experience!!!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:44 pm

I know, you want to vent, but relax:
  • This is not a security issue per se, as all bags have been screened and checked.
  • The likelihood of you being reunited with your bag is extremely high: considering that you checked in at the FCT, they can easily figure out what happened. There are not that many check ins happening at the same time (in contrast to a regular check in line). Furthermore, your luggage was mixed up with another F/HON passenger - they won't be too eager to keep your dirty laundry.

Yes, it shouldn't happen and it is annoying, but it's neither a security issue nor are you unlikely to get your bag back.
Aselwyn likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Can anyone help me the expenses question.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by wtcmor
Can anyone help me the expenses question.
Yes, LH will reimburse all necessary toiletries, underwear etc & IME cost of replacement clothing less 50% if you keep those items.

Hope you get your bag back soon !
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. To make things worse the lost luggage person wrote down the wrong reference no so there is no way I can track my bag online. There was no number provided either to ring. Trying to keep my sense of humor but without a correct reference no this is getting very difficult
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:09 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Any chance you can find out whose bag you have and get in touch with them? I'm sure there is a name tag or something inside the bag that will tell you who it belongs to. Chances are that person does have your bag.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:38 am
Original Poster

The lost luggage people at Boston kept that persons bag so no idea whose it was. Trying to get through to general Lufthansa phone number on hold for over an hour
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The lost luggage people at Boston kept that persons bag so no idea whose it was. Trying to get through to general Lufthansa phone number on hold for over an hour
Try the dedicated LH First Class line, they ought to be able to talk to FCT Staff also
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The US number for the LH F hotline is +1 855 427 4377
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Several suggestions:

1. Focus on the issue and not security. That is not a valid complaint as all checked bags are screened and thus the fact that one bag went out with your tag on it is no more of a security issue than any checked bag.
2. Indeed the Montreal Convention requires LH to reimburse your reasonable interim expenses. Toiletries are easy. Simply keep the receipts. Submit them once you are reunited with your bag. On the off chance that your bag is not recovered within 20 days -- quite unlikely -- it is considered lost and you will be entitled to recover fair market value up to a maximum of EUR 1,425, less any reimbursements for interim expenses. Any overage would be a claim against travel insurance.
3. Call LH for the correct WorldTracer number as that will save you calling in again. It is indexed to the e-ticket number, PNR and credit card used to pay for the ticket. You presumably have and should be armed with all three for the phone agent.
4. It is highly unlikely that your bag will not be returned. Presumably there is someone else in the world missing theirs and they notified LH on arrival at their destination. LH will want your bag back from them at the time it sends their bag out for delivery wherever that may be. In addition, your bag will be only one of very few because LH can quite easily recall the tag printer sequence and presumably the mixup occurred within 3-4 tag numbers.
5. Check your travel insurance carefully. Some require that you make a report within a very short time, even if your report is not an actual claim. If you miss the report deadline, you will not collect should you need to. Some policies also pay out a flat daily amount while the bag is off on its journey and that may be substantially more generous than what you may obtain from LH as reimbursement.

Finally, as this is a public board and there are others who see this. Be certain to always check the tags on your bag before they are taken away. The tag will show the destination, flight number and at least your last name. Do not be bashful.
chris63, oliver2002 and mmff like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:19 am

There is something I do not understand regarding this incident: Why did you not receive the full baggague report, containing your personal details as well as the reference number? That is the most important document, especially for insurance and everything else related to claiming expenses, money,...??

I would never ever have left the airport without it!

Further to this, I can only confirm what was already written before: Call LH First Class hotline, HON Service or Senator hotline. They can all call the first class service manager at FRA directly and should be able to sort out this incident within half an hour, as they only need to trave down the same pax that checked in with you plus/minus 5 minutes. At least one of them must also be missing his bag(s) and the list should be pretty short.

I am sure that you will receive decent compensation.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Finally, as this is a public board and there are others who see this. Be certain to always check the tags on your bag before they are taken away. The tag will show the destination, flight number and at least your last name. Do not be bashful.
And always check the bag attached to your tag

It's also a good idea to put some information about how to contact you while travelling in a reasonably accessible place in the bag.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:01 pm

So, whats the update? Have you been reunited with your bag?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

No bag, no communication from Lufthansa apart from its now lost again even though we did find it. Will post more when and if they respond to my email
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No bag, no communication from Lufthansa apart from its now lost again even though we did find it. Will post more when and if they respond to my email
Wow, a HON tagged bag & they found it & lost it again ?

Thats gross incompetence

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.