Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The next evacuation of a Terminal - FRA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Real story officially tweeted by police is that a screener let a French family of four go despite having tested positive for explosives. So blame falls squarely on the screener.
LH is completely incompetent. They cancelled the US flights due to spoiled food, while UA flights took off regardless.
after 3 hours wait at Senator service counter, my wife could only be booked home 2 days from now, they refused to release luggage, and to add insult to injury refused hotel, meals, transportation. No mentioning of EC compensation either.
I thought LH bought thousands of hotels why can't they use one of those...

How terrible... Sorry for your wife.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by daruda
Fight from bru to fra and fra to bsl is cancelled.

Got rerouted from bru to zrh and need to rent car overthere.

Will they compensate me for extra costs? Eu261?
Keep your receipts for expenses incurred and forward to LH for reimbursement. I'm not sure car hire falls within the duty of care, but give it a try.

No EC 261/04 comp. is due as this clearly extraordinary
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: Miles & More, BA Executive Club
Depends if it’s still extraordinary soon if it becomes more of a regular occurrence. Yes, EC261 doesn’t apply as it is extraordinary, however, if you are connecting through FRA (in this case) airlines still have to get you to your final destination by the most reasonable route possible.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by transportprof
In the event of such a disruption, is there any cross-honoring of tickets within Germany between LH and DB? Could displaced pax be rebooked on the trains serving Frankfurt airport, or even Frankfurt Hbf?
In that regard, this is what the LH site days:

Train voucher
Passengers travelling within Germany whose flights were cancelled can use trains of Deutsche Bahn. The flight ticket can be converted into a train ticket of Deutsche Bahn here.
If it is not possible to convert the ticket due to time constraints, we recommend that a regular train ticket is purchased.

Refund of purchased train ticket
If you have purchased a train ticket from Deutsche Bahn and would like to have this refunded, we ask for your kind understanding that in case of a retro-active refund, the value of the unused flight coupon is applicable. We also request to apply for a refund of your ticket with your issuing office after completion of your trip.

https://www.lufthansa.com/online/por...n&src_cntry=DE
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by transportprof
In the event of such a disruption, is there any cross-honoring of tickets within Germany between LH and DB? Could displaced pax be rebooked on the trains serving Frankfurt airport, or even Frankfurt Hbf?
DB = German Rail didn’t go anywhere on main ICE route towards Cologne either due to a fire that damaged ICE tracks in Siegburg
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:30 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by MichielR
But it was “only” A/Z that were closed off. B, C and T2 were not affected...
Yes, that's strange. To my knowledge you can walk from the secure area of A to B without being checked again, I believe C and T2 is secured by additional security checks.

HTB.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by htb
Yes, that's strange. To my knowledge you can walk from the secure area of A to B without being checked again, I believe C and T2 is secured by additional security checks.

HTB.
They typically seal off the tunnel and the train so that you cannot move between A/Z and the rest of the airport.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:19 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
I find the reason given rather weird. All thid because of one positive explosives test?
Didn‘t they do a second one?

When I was in the army and had to take those tests at the airport of course they were always positive! (Blackpowder from shooting). Not to mention that those tests are rather uncertain in the first place. (It also happened to me that first tests was positive and second was not). I was never kept for additional screening, only was asked a few questions sometimes, but was always allowed to fly and yet nobody evacuated a terminal because of me! There are dozen reasons why this test can be positive.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, M&M
Originally Posted by Nick Art
I find the reason given rather weird. All thid because of one positive explosives test?

When I was in the army and had to take those tests at the airport of course they were always positive! (Blackpowder from shooting). Not to mention that those tests are rather uncertain in the first place. (It also appened to me that first tests was positive and second was not). I was never kept for additional screening, only was asked a few questions sometimes, but was always allowed to fly and yet nobody evacuated a terminal because of me!
I believe that was the issue here. Their first test was positive and they didn't undergo a second but rather just allowed through...
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:30 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by mashlakito
I believe that was the issue here. Their first test was positive and they didn't undergo a second but rather just allowed through...
If that‘s true, this is just really poor from the security officers side.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by iLied
Depends if it’s still extraordinary soon if it becomes more of a regular occurrence. Yes, EC261 doesn’t apply as it is extraordinary, however, if you are connecting through FRA (in this case) airlines still have to get you to your final destination by the most reasonable route possible.
I'm afraid this is incorrect. EC261 does apply. The EC261 provision about extraordinary circumstances is only with regards to the right to compensation. Even if there are extraordinary circumstances you still have the right to care and right to rerouting. In this case this means that the passengers should get meals, hotel, phone as necessary and also be rebooked per the regulation.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: Miles & More, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Gnopps
I'm afraid this is incorrect. EC261 does apply. The EC261 provision about extraordinary circumstances is only with regards to the right to compensation. Even if there are extraordinary circumstances you still have the right to care and right to rerouting. In this case this means that the passengers should get meals, hotel, phone as necessary and also be rebooked per the regulation.
I get the assumption that people assume it’s compensation. Obviously duty of care is important and rebooking passengers as its the contract with the airline rather than EC261.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by iLied
I get the assumption that people assume it’s compensation. Obviously duty of care is important and rebooking passengers as its the contract with the airline rather than EC261.
EC261/2004 also stipulates the airlines duty to care, namely what must be at the bare minimum included (food, lodging, transport) and rerouting at the earliest opportunity or right to abandon the trip (with full refund). Also rules of rerouting (i.e. that the airline has to bear cost of surface travel when rerouting to a different airport in the same area code)

Contract of carriage might stipulate more options, in theory. But the airline must supply at least what is defined in the Regulation, and if it fails to do so, refund any reasonable expenses.
iLied likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:54 pm

I was supposed to fly FRA-OPO but my flight went out empty because of the evacuation. I was flying in J on a paid ticket (and *G) and got rebooked on TAP to LIS and then to OPO. TAP, however, did not load any meals in business class (most of us did not eat since breakfast due to the evacuation and it was a dinner flight) and LIS-OPO was an all-Y flight. Who to complain to? LH or TAP?

Last edited by fivesixseven; Aug 11, 2018 at 12:59 pm
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Both. But I don't think you have much legal basis to expect anything other than goodwill gesture. If you got something to eat at Frankfurt, you could try to have it reimbursed under Duty to Care, but it's not a sure thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.