Connecting in FRA advice

Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
Connecting in FRA advice

I have a connecting flight in FRA (ORD - FRA - BCN) and will be flying F on ORD/FRA segment and J on FRA/BCN segment. I have 2 hr 25 min connecting time so no issue with the connection. My question. . . is the connection time long enough to make it worthwhile to go to FCT . . . and will the F class segment connecting to J class even allow me to access FCT?

My return flight is VCE - FRA - ORD ( J on VCE - FRA and then F FRA-ORD) and I am booked with a 5 hr 15 min connection so plenty of time to experience FCT. My question . . . is it likely that the VCE - FRA segment will arrive away from the terminal and should I expect that a driver will meet me at the plane and transit me to FCT to wait for the FRA - ORD flight. Second question . . . there is a later VCE - FRA flight that has only a 1 hr 10 min connection, which I am sure is within MCT but also foregoes any time to do FCT, but should I expect a driver to meet my flight and get me to the departing gate for FRA - ORD if I used the later feeder flight?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
There are dedicated threads on FCT access and FRA connections, go check those out.

But, in short, you will have FCT access, 2h25 is good enough. 5h is very long, 1h10 is relatively short: this depends on your schedule and desire to spend a long time in the lounge.

VCE has a high likelihood of apron arrival with a car/van pickup. You will be driven to either A-Schengen bus arrivals (for FCT) or B-Schengen (for FCL B).

You will not be driven to the gate for a short connection to the US, but you will be driven to B from where you wcan go to the FCL B and be driven from there.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichielR
There are dedicated threads on FCT access and FRA connections, go check those out.

But, in short, you will have FCT access, 2h25 is good enough. 5h is very long, 1h10 is relatively short: this depends on your schedule and desire to spend a long time in the lounge.

VCE has a high likelihood of apron arrival with a car/van pickup. You will be driven to either A-Schengen bus arrivals (for FCT) or B-Schengen (for FCL B).

You will not be driven to the gate for a short connection to the US, but you will be driven to B from where you wcan go to the FCL B and be driven from there.
MichielR.... thanks for the insight. Regarding the VCE - FRA - ORD flight with the tighter connection time (and foregoing FCT).... any idea of what terminal the FRA - ORD segment will depart from and would I be best served to go via A-Schengen or B-Schengen and possibly skipping FCL B and walking to my FRA/ORD gate
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
It will most likely depart from a Z-Gate, one floor above the A-Gates. You could use a SEN-lounge there.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by Brostman
MichielR.... thanks for the insight. Regarding the VCE - FRA - ORD flight with the tighter connection time (and foregoing FCT).... any idea of what terminal the FRA - ORD segment will depart from and would I be best served to go via A-Schengen or B-Schengen and possibly skipping FCL B and walking to my FRA/ORD gate
Your ORD flight will probably depart from Z. If your inbound is more or less on time, and if you have a gate arrival (probably A) then go upstairs from A to Z and walk. Passport control between A and Z. If you have an apron arrival, you should be driven to B Schengen. Go through passport control on your way to the FCL B. The US document check will be done there and they will drive you to the plane. All of this assumes you will not have SSSS, in which case FCL B is not an option.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Brostman
there is a later VCE - FRA flight that has only a 1 hr 10 min connection, which I am sure is within MCT but also foregoes any time to do FCT, but should I expect a driver to meet my flight and get me to the departing gate for FRA - ORD if I used the later feeder flight?
As others said, look at the FCT thread, I would add that short connections are not relaxing in FRA even in F.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your input. It is appreciated. I expect I will have a successful transit in FRA given this advance understanding. I will check out the FCT thread as suggested.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.