Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booked in F, but LH to discontinue F. For trip of a lifetime.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
While I can feel the OP's pain, I don't believe there is a successful interpretation of a 75% downgrade refund when the higher cabin is cancelled more than 14 days out.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
If it were me, I'd try asking for FRA-EZE (LH F) - GIG (C/J):

- this would eliminate the need to take an Y flight
- you wouldn't need to deal with the nasty int'l -> domestic transfer at GRU

This would seem like a very reasonable alternative IMO.

You could also try asking for EK F EZE-GIG, but that may be pushing it; and the flight times aren't exactly ideal.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
If it were me, I'd try asking for FRA-EZE (LH F) - GIG (C/J):

- this would eliminate the need to take an Y flight
- you wouldn't need to deal with the nasty int'l -> domestic transfer at GRU

This would seem like a very reasonable alternative IMO.
Yes, I would have requested that.

However GRU to GIG is a very short hop.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by juniordk2000
Unfortunately LH does not believe that a 75% refund plus business class flight is valid due to the long notice period. But this would needless to say have been a great option.

Reluctantly took the GRU connection as my mother wanted "her" first class experience.
Why not take F down and J back? I haven't read any superb accounts of lounges in GRU, it's possible to sleep well in LH J.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by moondog
Why not take F down and J back? I haven't read any superb accounts of lounges in GRU, it's possible to sleep well in LH J.
No superb lounges in GIG either.

LH F is a different planet from LH J ! OP paid for F
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Do not even raise EC 261/2004 at this stage. Focus on the best reroute possible.

When you return, if you have accepted J on the original routing, you are likely entitled to a refund -- not compensation -- for 75% of the base fare for the segments which are downgraded. LH may not believe this and you may need to fight about it, but you should eventually prevail.

If you accept a reroute, which LH is free to offer and which you are free to accept, there is no claim. It is a matter of personal choice as to what and whether you do. Simply understand that if this is a tough trip for your mother, it is not the very short flight in Y that matters, but the entire connection "experience" which may be miserable.

Will she prefer the nonstop in J when she thinks about it?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your inputs.

We have been rebooked via GRU, so F to GRU and local economy on the hop to GIG.
As some have mentioned I am not looking forward to switching at GRU nor domestic economy, but this was the option offered which allowed for my mother to enjoy her trip in First Class.

My mother worked 40 years for SAS Airlines, so for her trying a first class flight is what matters. We spoke about doing direct in Business but she was very clear in her choice - and as a good son I will suffer in silence for parts of the trip. The trip is for her
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by juniordk2000
Thanks for all your inputs.

We have been rebooked via GRU, so F to GRU and local economy on the hop to GIG.
As some have mentioned I am not looking forward to switching at GRU nor domestic economy, but this was the option offered which allowed for my mother to enjoy her trip in First Class.

My mother worked 40 years for SAS Airlines, so for her trying a first class flight is what matters. We spoke about doing direct in Business but she was very clear in her choice - and as a good son I will suffer in silence for parts of the trip. The trip is for her
Check (or ask) on the F/HON services thread if there is a PA service at GRU to help you with the transfer, I haven’t done this one, so can’t help.
juniordk2000 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Azul in Y GRU-SDU is perfectly fine. Nice E190 aircraft. The departure gates aren't great and you walk out on the tarmac etc, but the flight itself was great. Consider this option if you are staying in Copa/Ipanema.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL, TK Gold Elite
Does anyone know if or when LH is bringing F back on the GIG route? I've seen F come and go seasonally since they first launched the route and I'd be interested if anyone knows if they have a firm plan to put it back on. (I have an F ticket to use as well - argh - but have flexibility about when I use it.) Thanks
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

I suspect F was removed permantly due to low demand. Route had very passengers in F on the trips I have taken. BA also removed F a while back due to lack of demand. On BA I did once manage to have a large F cabin all to myself on route to Rio.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.