Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Austrian or LOT Polish? [in Y on LAX-EVN in May-June 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Austrian or LOT Polish? [in Y on LAX-EVN in May-June 2019]

We are booking an international award ticket with United and our choices are either Austrian Air or LOT Polish Air. Any suggestions? We have flown neither before.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Flying to, from? Austrian beats LOT for international long-haul.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:06 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Class of travel, routing and timing please ? This would help to give you advice. Without this all I can say is both are good.
N1003U likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Ah, sorry.

LAX-EVN, probably economy class unless I can get a good mileage redemption for business class on United. Traveling in the late May or early June.

On Austrian, it goes through Vienna. On LOT Polish, it goes through Warsaw.

Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:13 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
If economy class, then I would choose Austrian purely for the comfort of not taking a Dreamliner in economy. LOT has a 3-3-3 seating for an aircraft designed to have 2-3-2. OS catering is good and you can pre-order nice meals. Vienna is an easy airport to connect too and both OS and LO have antisocial timing for the flight to EVN.

If you get Business class, I would mix and match if possible: LOT on overnight outbound and OS on day flight inbound to indulge as much as possible in the fabulous catering.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:51 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
In Y, OS will have better catering and IFE.

In C, I would still choose OS it departs LAX at about 3 pm - making it pretty much a day flight for the first meal service. You will even have time to catch a train and visit VIE Old Town.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
If economy class, then I would choose Austrian purely for the comfort of not taking a Dreamliner in economy. LOT has a 3-3-3 seating for an aircraft designed to have 2-3-2.
The 777 has a 38 cm higher max cabin width with one additional seat across. Both are designed to carry umpa-lumpas.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Note OS gets bus gates on departure and often on arrival at LAX. I haven’t looked into this personally but the LH F hosts were telling me about it last week and apparently it’s a nightmare... LOT could very well be in the same boat, not sure.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by fransknorge
If economy class, then I would choose Austrian purely for the comfort of not taking a Dreamliner in economy. LOT has a 3-3-3 seating for an aircraft designed to have 2-3-2.
The Dreamliner was not designed for 2-3-2. And Austrian is using 3-4-3 in an aircraft actually designed for 3-3-3. However economy will suck pretty much everywhere.
mario_s likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by vantage03
Note OS gets bus gates on departure and often on arrival at LAX. I haven’t looked into this personally but the LH F hosts were telling me about it last week and apparently it’s a nightmare... LOT could very well be in the same boat, not sure.
I've been bused on arrival/departure a fair number of times when flying into/out of LAX. It seems to me that whether you get bused is completely based on how busy the airport is when you happen to be there. I've been bused on Cathay sometimes and not others, on Singapore sometimes and not others, the one time I flew SAS I was bused, and my recent arrival on OS was at a regular gate.

That said...ya, it's a pain. It usually doesn't cost more than 5 mins extra IME, but 5 mins can make all the difference when you're trying to make Fly-Away Shuttle > Metrolink work.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:25 pm

The differences that I would consider:

in Y: Austrian offers free alcohol in Y, whereas on LOT you have to pay for alcohol.

In PE: I haven't tried Austrian, but found LOT to be VERY comfortable in Premium Economy (compared to Lufthansa). There is a dedicated flight attendant and the meals were a significant improvement over normal economy.

In C: I haven't tried LOT business class, but the seats looked a generation behind Austrian (2x2x2 seating) and reminded me of the old LH business class. Not sat in the LOT seat though, just had a look as passing through back to economy!

All points just my opinion and understanding. Feel free to correct if I am wrong on something.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:51 am
Original Poster

All of these data points are tremendously helpful! Thank you to each who contributed. FT comes through again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.