Assessment of LH F v BA F (both 747s)

Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
Assessment of LH F v BA F (both 747s)

Looking for opinion of quality of hard and soft product comparison of LH F vs BA F travelling ORD to BCN (LH via FRA and BA via LHW) in first. Flight schedules/times and pricing are similar enough to not be a differentiating factor Fully expecting BA to be 747 but possibility they will put A380 back into play for the northern summer season (currently they fly A380 daily but will swap out to 777 or 747 in fall). Thanks, and I am aware that by posting in LH forum I will get some degree of bias towards LH
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Brostman
Looking for opinion of quality of hard and soft product comparison of LH F vs BA F travelling ORD to BCN (LH via FRA and BA via LHW) in first. Flight schedules/times and pricing are similar enough to not be a differentiating factor Fully expecting BA to be 747 but possibility they will put A380 back into play for the northern summer season (currently they fly A380 daily but will swap out to 777 or 747 in fall). Thanks, and I am aware that by posting in LH forum I will get some degree of bias towards LH
Done both many times.
BA F is more like a good business class. Seats are small, not much privacy. The A380 seat is somewhat better but still subpar. They put 14 seats on the 747 where LH (like many other airlines) have 8. Service is more like business class. I read that people call BA F "Words best business class".
LH F is a real F. Much wider seats, more privacy, better service. Food presentation is much fancier, personally I like the taste better than BA.

The F lounges/F terminal are much nicer than the Concorde room. If you have enough time to to get over to the FCT and then be driven to your plane.You could also try to connect via MUC. Less walking and a more efficient airport.
cbourl and JohnRain like this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Unterwegs.... thanks for the insights. Your assessment confirms my suspicions. I have flown LH first on a couple of occasions and agree with the quality standards you give LH. FCT in FRA is a treat if you have enough layover time to enjoy... current routing I am considering would give me 5 hours at FCT. Mrs B prefers to sit with me and the only two side-by-side seats in F for the day I would be flying the outbound flight (ORD-FRA) are already reserved.... physically how close are seats 1A and 1K
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Really not an issue that bears discussion. Lufthansa is the very clear winner for the rational traveller.

Those with a concern for miles and TierPoints, nostalgia for better times, and a soft spot for English food might disagree.

Though if you enjoy spotting celebrities (beyond members of the Bavarian government etc etc) you'll get more recognisable ones on flights into and out of London
HMPS and JohnRain like this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Brostman
Unterwegs.... thanks for the insights. Your assessment confirms my suspicions. I have flown LH first on a couple of occasions and agree with the quality standards you give LH. FCT in FRA is a treat if you have enough layover time to enjoy... current routing I am considering would give me 5 hours at FCT. Mrs B prefers to sit with me and the only two side-by-side seats in F for the day I would be flying the outbound flight (ORD-FRA) are already reserved.... physically how close are seats 1A and 1K
On the 748 1A and 1K are our preferred seats. They are very private and close enough that you can still talk. The middle pair in row 3 has a smaller footrest and a very narrow aisle (same is true for the window seat) so people easily bump into you. Second choice would be 2A/2K, but they are too far apart to talk.
On the The middle pair in row 1 and 2 are good. On the 330/340 the middle seas in row 2 are better than row 1.
JohnRain likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Done both many times, LH wins in all areas & 1A & 1K would be my preferred seats for a couple.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:20 am

While I agree that LH F beats BA F on all aspects hands down... I do not think 1A & 1K are great for a traveling couple which tends to have lively talk. It is ok, if you occasionally want to throw over some isolated sentence, but not to really talk. Or you must talk VERY LOUD which I hate. For once, since nobody else in the cabin has to listen in to my conversations, second it is uncomfortable for me to speak loud and third I don't want others to disturb my peace if not avoidable and I don't want to be the offender as well.

I think the distance between the seats is like 1,5m, and due to the alignment in the cabin, from seat back to seatback (where usually your head is) more than 2m. With all the noise in the cabin due to highspeed travel through the skys... not comfortable to talk. And leaning over, not comfortable for the body.

So, if you really talk a lot go for row 3, a window and a middle is fine, the two middles are better.

Lucky for me, on our last flight we had 1A and 1K but row three was free so for the meal service we could sit together and talk before digging into the books each on its own for the night back in our isolated seats.
cbourl likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:31 am

After years of using BA First on my flights from CPH to GIG I recently switched to LH as BA discontinued First class to Rio de Janeiro.

For the connecting flight within Europe you will be in business class. Neither product is particularly great. Economy class seats with an empty middle seat, mediocre food with small portions. No winner here, only losers.

Ground product: LH all the way, better transfer, lounges etc. Not even close.

Seats: BA is ok, but LH is much better.

Food: Agree with earlier poster, LH presentation is better but taste and quality seems pretty even. Caviar available on LH, not BA. Wine and spirits very similar.

Entertainment: I found BA to have the upper hand here. New releases on LH seemed to be mainly 2017 movies on my recent flight in July 2018.

Service: I only had one roundtrip on LH so far. Crew outbound was likely the best I ever had, but returning I found service to be fairly average. On my many flights with BA I only recall one crewmember falling short on service delivery with most offering very good service. So really not enough data on LH to offer a fair comparison.

BA does put far more seats in to the cabin than LH making for less of a premium cabin feeling. Having said that I never had issues sleeping on BA flights or with noise levels in the cabin. Most passengers in First class are pretty well behaved.

My conclusion is that LH is a better product in most aspects.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Bronze
I flew both recently. There's no contest. LH beats BA solidly in all categories. Lounges in particular are very special, but the service in LH F is consistently excellent, IME.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:36 pm

There is no comparison. LH is far superior.

LH advantages:
Nicer, less crowded lounge (at least at home base FRA/MUC- cant be sure about all the other airports - the lounge for First at EWR is awful) with beautiful dining, shower and rest areas.
porsche / Mercedes ride to/from connecting flights
Smaller more exclusive cabin
much larger and more comfortable seat
much larger and much cleaner lav, lav also has nicer amentities (la Prairie face and handcream! Evian face spray!)
caviar starter
Overall meal is also better
overall just a much classier experience.

BA I would say its in between business and first - maybe business plus. Nice service and wine selection, and having afternoon tea service while on a plane is a fun British touch. However, BA also has smaller seats, larger cabin, awful small Y sized dirty lav (more people using it), average food, no caviar course, LHR Concorde room is too crowded with average food and also has terrible washrooms and showers. But their fares are also usually cheaper than LH F so there is still value.

But in your case where price is similar - definitely go for LH you will certainly enjoy it!
Old Jul 21, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
As a former "London Airways" flier, hence my username, I would see LH at least a step or two above BA in most respects. And I have come to dislike Heathrow with a passion. So unless BA offers a much more convenient flight or is extremely cheap, I do try to avoid them now.
vantage03 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Ambassador
Having flown both BA F and LH F recently I would agree the LH hard and soft product is way above BA. Like others have said BA is definitely "business plus" but not really first. I felt the concord room was nice in LHR but other BA lounges are not as nice and just mediocre. i.e. JFK, But the price point is much cheaper than LH which again just means you're getting what you are paying for. Based on routes of business overseas for me, I usually "have" to fly LH once a year and I plan to keep that travel in first. The other 4 or 5 trips I can do with AA or BA in F or J.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your insights. LH gets the roses by a couple lengths it seems. I have flown LH previously (both F and J) and have always enjoyed the flights and FCT in FRA. Had never flown BA before so was not sure how they rated. On a comparative basis I now have a better picture.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL 0 Million Miler (and PM), Amtrak Select, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
More points in favor of LH that haven't been brought up yet: ex-ORD you get access to the UA Polaris Lounge which blows anything in T5 out of the water... Also LH has wifi (and it's free for you in F)
Old Jul 22, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by truncated
More points in favor of LH that haven't been brought up yet: ex-ORD you get access to the UA Polaris Lounge which blows anything in T5 out of the water... Also LH has wifi (and it's free for you in F)
huh, since when in wifi free in F? Did that change? Was asked to pay last year but haven't tried wifi since.

But yeah, LH F wins hands down.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.