Wiki Posts
Search

LH MUC-DEN - Worm In Salad - Appropriate Compensation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
Angry LH MUC-DEN - Worm In Salad - Appropriate Compensation

Tell me, what is appropriate compensation for finding a worm in your salad?
Flight was in business class from Munich to Denver on Lufthansa.
The crew apologised and said they would document it.... nothing else was offered.

For reference....

Close-up
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
This is LH, they are most likely to say we’re sorry you didn’t like the extra protein we offered you & look forward to welcoming you back soon.
andywaw, Marschel and JohnRain like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:20 am

Well, it is not a worm... it is a caterpillar... keep it long enough and perhaps a becomes a beautiful butterfly

On the more serious side, I guess something like 5.000 miles and more miles will be offered. I wouldn't even pursue this, it should not happen but it can happen anywhere, anytime. As long as it is not a highly-toxic-one-bite-and-you-drop-dead spider or somethign which would give me a serious food poisoning, I would just forget about it and move on.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
Originally Posted by fassy
Well, it is not a worm... it is a caterpillar... keep it long enough and perhaps a becomes a beautiful butterfly

On the more serious side, I guess something like 5.000 miles and more miles will be offered. I wouldn't even pursue this, it should not happen but it can happen anywhere, anytime. As long as it is not a highly-toxic-one-bite-and-you-drop-dead spider or somethign which would give me a serious food poisoning, I would just forget about it and move on.
+1
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
An apology is sufficient
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by aragno
.... nothing else was offered.

"nothing else was offered", but you ate most of your salad hahaha!

It is huge! Was it alive? I am amazed that such a thing can grow and survive under the heavy doses of pesticides that have been poured in the field were your salad grew up. It also made it through the industrial washing of the salad (most probably with bleach or the like). Had you been headed to Mexico, you could have dumped it in the bottle of tequila. It would have then looked like mezcal.

The lurker should have brought you some caviar from F. The proteins in caviar are more commonly accepted as being comestible food...
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Um... unlike previous posters, I’m actually appalled by this and would without hesitation be complaining with the photos. It’s disgusting. If you’re not happy with their response, try the social media team - they love photos 🤣
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: LH M&M
Originally Posted by vantage03
Um... unlike previous posters, I’m actually appalled by this and would without hesitation be complaining with the photos. It’s disgusting. If you’re not happy with their response, try the social media team - they love photos 🤣
While a caterpillar is probably not the most appetising thing to find in a salad, I think being appalled is going a bit far. For sure I'd tell the FA and probably expect a new salad, but that's where it ends.

I'd much rather find a caterpillar than a human hair or fingernail. Maybe we should start a new Travelbuzz thread - gross things you found in your meal
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
How is this any different than finding this in your salad in a restaurant? What would you want the restaurant to do? Comp your meal maybe?

Stuff happens and while I would be upset and looking for an apology, documented proof that they indeed documented this issue would probably suffice for me.
princeville likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Collierkr
How is this any different than finding this in your salad in a restaurant? What would you want the restaurant to do? Comp your meal maybe?
Apart from an apology I guess most of the nicer restaurants would comp the salad and offer some drink like glass of wine, grappa or espresso for free. And move on.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA
I only found tiny ants in my LH salad -- must have been over 6 years ago, in business. There may still be photos on my computer somewhere. There were 2 or 3 of them scampering around the plate. I alerted the purser and purified myself with a strong drink. Never wrote in about it, just sort of forgot. Over a month later I got an apology letter from LH, with a 50 Euro voucher for inflight shopping, which I did eventually use. I was pleasantly surprised that LH tracked me down and followed up.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I had a sharpish piece of wood (like a skewer tip broken off or so) in a chanterelle side dish as part of a main course on LX ZRH-SIN in Biz. I had partially swallowed the food when something poked the back of my throat. Luckily could spit it out and took pic before showing it to MdC (purser on LX).

Apologies and all, well not the crews fault and she reported it and told me to write in. First boiler plate LH offer was 5,000mls and focused on "me apparently being disappointed with the meal quality", haha. That insult did get me irked so I fired back that quality aside I just wanted a meal that was safe to consume without possibly chocking and getting a sharp wood piece stuck in my throat. I also highlighted the cost of a potential diversion and medical emergency and that prompted LH to up the miles to 50,000 which we settled on.

Typical LH, low ball first. YMMV.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by fassy

Apart from an apology I guess most of the nicer restaurants would comp the salad and offer some drink like glass of wine, grappa or espresso for free. And move on.
agreed which makes this all moot in front cabin on an airplane
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:27 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Should have just ordered some Tequila and drowned/downed it that way
Edvard likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Here in Thailand we would ask to fry the worm...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.