Wiki Posts
Search

NAP-FRA-DTW 50 Min Conx Doable?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:35 pm
RNE
Original Poster

NAP-FRA-DTW 50 Min Conx Doable?

How doable is a 50-min connection at FRA from NAP to DTW? Keep in mind, this connection is to a US-bound flight. Even though NAP and FRA are both schengen airports requiring no Security checkpoint, I assume there will be some additional Security before boarding the FRA-DTW flight. Thus my concern about the 50-minute connection. This is all on LH metal, by the way.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by RNE
How doable is a 50-min connection at FRA from NAP to DTW? Keep in mind, this connection is to a US-bound flight. Even though NAP and FRA are both schengen airports requiring no Security checkpoint, I assume there will be some additional Security before boarding the FRA-DTW flight. Thus my concern about the 50-minute connection. This is all on LH metal, by the way.
It may be legal but I definitely not recommended, as boarding for the DTW flight will start when your feeder lands, even if it is not delayed.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by RNE
I just checked at flightradar24 LH323 fNAP-FRA. It landed on most days a few minutes (up to 28) past arrival time. Add the time for taxiing, deplaning and a long walk you need to be lucky.and walk fast.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Flew this exact routing a few years ago. 50 min is too tight, especially when considering that you're flying from an airport in Italy.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Flew this exact routing a few years ago. 50 min is too tight, especially when considering that you're flying from an airport in Italy.
... and considering that the second flight is a long-haul flight on a route that doesn’t get 10 flights a day.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:02 am
RNE
Original Poster

Thanks all. Your opinions are pretty much what I assumed. So, what will LH do for me if there's a misconnect? I assume rebooking but will they give me a hotel room if necessary? Keep in mind, by flight time, I will have fallen from *S to no status.

I'm tempted to book this trip, anyway. I'm a CLE flyer, but I'll be driving to DTW for a wedding and on a whim I started looking at flight destinations from that airport. NAP stood out because LH makes it an easy 2-flight itinerary. I've never stayed in that part of Italy before (other parts, yes). And the outbound's connection is not tight. Getting to NAP on-time is more important to me than getting back a day late due to a misconnect.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:10 am

You would most likely be rebooked on the later UA services to either ORD or IAD and onwards to DTW, plenty of alternatives there.

G
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I just checked at flightradar24 LH323 fNAP-FRA. It landed on most days a few minutes (up to 28) past arrival time. Add the time for taxiing, deplaning and a long walk you need to be lucky.and walk fast.
Unless I’m missing something here, I can’t see how LH323 is relevant to this particular scenario at all? Given that the only LH’s DTW flight is after 10 in the morning, the OP would be on the first morning flight out of NAP, which is more likely to arrive on time as not impacted by previous delays (e.g. late arrival of FRA aircraft/flight into NAP). Whilst I would avoid FRA on most circumstances, 50 minutes arriving from the first morning flight should, however, be more than enough.

G

Old Jun 24, 2018, 12:22 pm
RNE
Original Poster

As a followup, I decided to scrap NAP. TSMRSRNE didn't want to deal with that degree of risk and the resulting vagaries of re-accommodation. Instead, however, we're taking LH to ATH, which has a comfortable connection on the return.

Again, thanks, everyone, for your advice.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by RNE
As a followup, I decided to scrap NAP. TSMRSRNE didn't want to deal with that degree of risk and the resulting vagaries of re-accommodation. Instead, however, we're taking LH to ATH, which has a comfortable connection on the return.

Again, thanks, everyone, for your advice.
This actually makes sense, as the connection you had initially planned was bound to fail.
RNE likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.