Wiki Posts
Search

LH vs NH Premium Economy Comparison

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
LH vs NH Premium Economy Comparison

Hello LH Forum - Could anyone who's experienced Premium Economy on both Lufthansa and ANA share their thoughts in terms of seats, meals, service, etc.?

I'm considering SFO-FRA/MUC-SIN on LH (A388/A359) vs. SFO-NRT-SIN on NH (B77W/B789). The LH routing is 10+ hours longer each way, but also earns more miles (especially because both would book into G, which credits at 125% on LH and 100% on NH for Aeroplan).

Many thanks in advance!
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:58 pm

I haven't flown NH in premium economy, but I wasn't impressed with Lufthansa's product. Fairly cramped seat (although at least by the specs NH is similar), same food as in economy, just with nicer china. I'd bet a lot of money that the soft product is better on NH - this has never been a strong suit for Lufthansa, except in F. Given the much longer flying time via Europe, I'd go for NH every time, extra miles be damned. It's one thing to go the long way when it's in F, but in glorified coach? No thanks.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freemanzhu
I haven't flown NH in premium economy, but I wasn't impressed with Lufthansa's product. Fairly cramped seat (although at least by the specs NH is similar), same food as in economy, just with nicer china. I'd bet a lot of money that the soft product is better on NH - this has never been a strong suit for Lufthansa, except in F. Given the much longer flying time via Europe, I'd go for NH every time, extra miles be damned. It's one thing to go the long way when it's in F, but in glorified coach? No thanks.
Thanks for the input!
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:12 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I'll be flying NH PE this Friday, so I can report back.

As for LH's PE, I really don't think the seat is "cramped". It gives you much more space than standard economy both in width (including a clear separation to your neighbor), as well as in terms of legroom. It's only when the person in front of you is reclining that you will feel a bit restricted and be left with no choice but to recline yourself as well. On the other hand, the recline is great for sleeping and I hope it won't be changed.

As such, I prefer bulkhead for day flights and the other seats for night flights as I can't stretch my legs in bulkhead seats.

It's hard to conceive that NH's seat could be so much better as to justify 10 hours more each way. However, I guess not all of those 10 hours will be on the plane flying. On the other hand, if you can use the miles...

HTB.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by htb
I'll be flying NH PE this Friday, so I can report back.

As for LH's PE, I really don't think the seat is "cramped". It gives you much more space than standard economy both in width (including a clear separation to your neighbor), as well as in terms of legroom. It's only when the person in front of you is reclining that you will feel a bit restricted and be left with no choice but to recline yourself as well. On the other hand, the recline is great for sleeping and I hope it won't be changed.

As such, I prefer bulkhead for day flights and the other seats for night flights as I can't stretch my legs in bulkhead seats.

It's hard to conceive that NH's seat could be so much better as to justify 10 hours more each way. However, I guess not all of those 10 hours will be on the plane flying. On the other hand, if you can use the miles...

HTB.
Thanks! Looking forward to your comparison.

I'm a little surprised to learn that both LH and NH serve Y food in PY. My regular airline, AC, isn't known to have the best product, but actually serves slightly better meals in PY than Y.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
I do not think you will find much difference to be honest but LH PE cabin is economy which makes it much worse. The only LH plane with seperate PE cabin is A380. As far as i know ANA PE cabin is seperate which make the whole journey much more pleasant. As people said above there is no reason to add another 10 hours in your journey. Last but not least, it has been reported that LH PE cabin gets overbooked easily and if you hold star alliance gold status you have some good chances to be upgraded. Personally, i am not sure if thats true. In all my flights with LH, PE was half or 2/3 full. It might be the case in heavily overbooked routes which i am afraid i do not have any information.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: LH FTL; A3*Gold
Originally Posted by capedreamer
I'm a little surprised to learn that both LH and NH serve Y food in PY. My regular airline, AC, isn't known to have the best product, but actually serves slightly better meals in PY than Y.
On my three recent PE flights on AC the food was actually awful (and my threshold is quite low = I don't want to be hungry, for dining experience I go to a restaurant). I would select LH PE meals over AC in a heart beat. Seats are comparable.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AVSA
On my three recent PE flights on AC the food was actually awful (and my threshold is quite low = I don't want to be hungry, for dining experience I go to a restaurant). I would select LH PE meals over AC in a heart beat. Seats are comparable.
So, at least in this instance, LH Y food is superior to AC PY food? Wouldn't shock me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.