FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   OS - Smart Upgrade / baggage query (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1911359-os-smart-upgrade-baggage-query.html)

Dev1980 May 27, 18 10:25 am

OS - Smart Upgrade / baggage query

hi there. Please forgive what is probably a basic question (Im usually over on the BA forum).

I made a booing on OS, econ light (MXP to VIE).

I bidded for a smart upgrade (80)

Subsequently I also added one item of checked luggage to my booking (at 25).

Today I learned that I have been successfully upgraded. However the new booking shows me as having no checked luggage allowance - perhaps reflecting the original econ light fare. But of course ignoring the 25 I have in fact paid. Do I just ignore this (I still need to take the checked luggage and of course I have paid 25, I have the receipt etc) or do I need to do something?

(for a roughly equivalent situation on BA I would know that their systems are sloppy and that a 30 minute phone call to rectify THEIR mistake would now be needed. I hope Austrian are different...)

bookeew May 27, 18 2:59 pm

The baggage allowance does not change with a smart upgrade. It remains the one from your original booking.

Dev1980 May 27, 18 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by bookeew (Post 29799849)
The baggage allowance does not change with a smart upgrade. It remains the one from your original booking.

Yes I realise that should be the case, as I read the terms when I applied for the smart upgrade.

But here in fact the baggage allowance has changed. I made an econ light booking, I then added a bag for 25, when I received the smart upgrade that bag seems to have been taken away. Either I am entitled to the bag or I am entitled to a refund of 25, surely.

bookeew May 27, 18 3:33 pm

Personally, I would ignore it for now and deal with it at the airport when you check in at the airport, assuming it isn't handled there properly.

Might be as simple as the OS website showing incorrect information, wouldn't be the first time that it is wrong. Does the LH website show you the same incorrect information?

Bring the receipt that you paid for baggage (assuming it wasn't refunded), explain that the smart upgrade went through after, and that you assumed the website showed incorrect information because. It might take a few more minutes to verify the baggage payment and that it wasn't refunded, but should be sorted out rather quickly. Not sure who is handling ground operations at MXP though, which might mean you have to stand your ground and possibly complain to OS after.

Dev1980 May 30, 18 4:20 am

Well I think I sorted this after 3 phone calls.

I decided to turn up to MXP a little early in case of problems. But Im here and being told Austrian check in only opens 2 hours before departure. Is this right? Even for business? Seems rather poor.

Nick Art May 30, 18 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Dev1980 (Post 29808350)
Well I think I sorted this after 3 phone calls.

I decided to turn up to MXP a little early in case of problems. But Im here and being told Austrian check in only opens 2 hours before departure. Is this right? Even for business? Seems rather poor.

Usually it is three hours on non-Hub airports.

AlicorporateUK May 30, 18 6:24 am

Check-in for LH Group flights at MXP will only commence 2 hours before scheduled departure time.

G

AlicorporateUK May 30, 18 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art (Post 29808578)
Usually it is three hours on non-Hub airports.

It really depends, 'regional' airports would still fall under the non-hub's category yet generally speaking you will find that check-in would not start up to 2 hours before departure and I can bring several examples even at those airports (see MXP as per above) where LH/OS/LX all operate a number of daily flights. All-in-all and including -as I say- those small regional airports, 2 hours seem to be more 'appropriate'.

G

Nick Art May 30, 18 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK (Post 29808664)
It really depends, 'regional' airports would still fall under the non-hub's category yet generally speaking you will find that check-in would not start up to 2 hours before departure and I can bring several examples even at those airports (see MXP as per above) where LH/OS/LX all operate a number of daily flights. All-in-all and including -as I say- those small regional airports, 2 hours seem to be more 'appropriate'.

G

Thanks for letting me know :) I personally have always experienced the 3 hours in advance check in, but I havent been to each and every airport yet. Always happy to learn some new things :)