FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Change order of segments without penalty? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1910622-change-order-segments-without-penalty.html)

planestupid May 22, 2018 11:36 am

Change order of segments without penalty?

I understand that Lufthansa offers two different types of fares: those that must be flown in the order booked and those where you are free to change the order of your segments. The latter option is marked "I would like to have the flexibility to change the sequence of my flights" at the start of the booking process. The question is: if you choose this option and want to change the order of segments after you've booked, HOW do you do it? I'd like to book AAA-BBB-CCC-BBB-AAA and then change it to BBB-CCC-BBB-AAA-BBB. According to the fare rules this should be feasible, but it seems to be impossible to do on the LH website. Would the call centre be able to change the order of segments? Many thanks, ps

daumueller May 22, 2018 11:49 am

Why would you do that? Those fares are ridiculously expensive?

anyway, hotline can fix that for you.

curt May 22, 2018 3:42 pm

Travel agent or call center are your friends...

Fabo.sk May 23, 2018 2:37 am

Originally Posted by daumueller (Post 29782250)

change order of visiting multiple locations on a single trip? Sounds useful to me.

Flying Lawyer May 23, 2018 3:05 am

These can be quite useful when booked as an award

oliver2002 May 23, 2018 3:13 am

Originally Posted by daumueller (Post 29782250)

Many pay the penalty to book awards ex JP/HK/BR without YQ and then rebook to reverse the segments ;)

daumueller May 23, 2018 4:18 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 29784613)
Many pay the penalty to book awards ex JP/HK/BR without YQ and then rebook to reverse the segments ;)

on an Award I agree - but I never saw any routing where the fullfare paid thingy gave any advantage?

totti May 23, 2018 12:00 pm

Can also be useful if someone is paying for your ticket and in order to get reimbursement travel has to commence in A but you live in B which also happens to be the first stop of your trip.

Nic33 May 23, 2018 1:59 pm

Change AAA-BBB-CCC-BBB-AAA into BBB-CCC-BBB-AAA-BBB is modern alchemy, except on outrageous fares.

As answered above, yes, the SEN line will be able to assist you. But could OP elaborate? Did he find a sweet fare that enable the swaps?

MultiFlyer May 29, 2018 1:29 am

Originally Posted by totti (Post 29786445)
Can also be useful if someone is paying for your ticket and in order to get reimbursement travel has to commence in A but you live in B which also happens to be the first stop of your trip.

As Superflex tickets cost around 8x to 10x the normal ticket price, who (which company) will pay this for you?

SK AAR May 29, 2018 3:54 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 29784613)

You can change (reverse the segments) for an award ex JP or HK to eg. Europe without recalculation of YQ, taxes etc?

MultiFlyer May 29, 2018 7:38 am

Definitely not with M&M.

Often1 May 29, 2018 8:05 am

Originally Posted by MultiFlyer (Post 29804085)
As Superflex tickets cost around 8x to 10x the normal ticket price, who (which company) will pay this for you?

As to the specific fare permitting flying segments out of order, that exists because German courts have held that the COC provisions prohibiting the practice are unconscionable to the extent that the carrier does not provide a ticket with a fare basis which does permit the changes. Thus, when purchasing a ticket in Germany, one must be offered such a fare basis. It is generally absurdly expensive because the requirement makes no economic sense to the carriers which base fares on market conditions at the time of a sale. Thus, as for-profit enterprises, the fares are vastly more expensive.

totti May 29, 2018 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by MultiFlyer (Post 29804085)

Why does it matter which company is willing to pay for it? There are a lot of companies/institutions that have very strict rules when it comes to business travel that are not linked to price but travel classes and certain airlines and/or alliances. Also, yes, these flexible tickets are very expensive and I have never booked one but from the prices I've seen 8 to 10 times seems to be a bit of an exaggeration, e.g. FRA-NYC is US$2716.00 for YFFDEW and US$6898.00 for YCOUPON. Even B and M fare bases are still over US$2000.00. Comparing it to any other fare base does not make much sense as it would be similar to comparing the cheapest Y fare to an actual Y fare which is not helpful if you need the flexibility or cannot comply with the minimum stay requirement.

Flying Lawyer May 30, 2018 6:50 am

Originally Posted by MultiFlyer (Post 29804876)
Definitely not with M&M.

Not true. Need to pay extra miles for extra flexibility.