Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent experience with short checking luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Question LH Short Check LHR --> FRA --> SFO

I'm flying business (on a first award) from LHR to FRA and landing at 20:00 hours, and not leaving until 10:20 the next morning from FRA to SFO.

I got a room at the in-airport Sheraton, so obviously, I'd like to short check my bags so I can change my clothes over night.

I can't find a definitive answer as to LH's short check policy. Will they let me collect my bag and re-check in the morning?

I assume the answer is yes, but I see vague comments when searching the threads telling people to "try and short check" but nothing concrete.

Thanks,
David
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:11 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
There shouldn't be any problem whatsoever. I once tried to short check one of the two bags which turned out impossible. In the end I short checked both bags, collected them and checked one in immediately using late-night check-in and checked the other bag in the morning.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Last week, I had a FRA-LHR trip on Thu night and LHR-IAD on Friday. No question to get my bag in LHR. Absolutely no problem
(Booking was in one ticket)
Old May 16, 2015, 9:02 am

Luggage crisis [short checking bags]

Hi everyone,

I have an itinerary booked with Lufthansa in June that has me traveling CPT-JNB-FRA-BOS. Problem is, I've made plans (and other travel arrangements) which includes me skipping the FRA-BOS leg as I have no return flights booked. I'll be getting off in Frankfurt and spending 2 months in Belgium, and flying home via another airline - was much cheaper than Lufthansa changing my last leg to a date in August. I have only just realized, however, that my luggage will be checked through to Boston, and there is no way for me to travel with a carry on only. Is there ANY possible solution for me to get my bag in Frankfurt without being charged a huge fee? I know IF there is a no-show, most airlines are forced to delay the flight until the bag is retrieved, but I really don't want to go this route since I can only assume it will be hell to get my bag back, which may result in me having to pay a fee anyway. I've looked into shipping the bag to Belgium, but the prices are upwards of $350+ which isn't ideal. Hoping someone has a suggestion!

Thanks in advance
Old May 16, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by gw2017
Hi everyone,

I have an itinerary booked with Lufthansa in June that has me traveling CPT-JNB-FRA-BOS. Problem is, I've made plans (and other travel arrangements) which includes me skipping the FRA-BOS leg as I have no return flights booked. I'll be getting off in Frankfurt and spending 2 months in Belgium, and flying home via another airline - was much cheaper than Lufthansa changing my last leg to a date in August. I have only just realized, however, that my luggage will be checked through to Boston, and there is no way for me to travel with a carry on only. Is there ANY possible solution for me to get my bag in Frankfurt without being charged a huge fee? I know IF there is a no-show, most airlines are forced to delay the flight until the bag is retrieved, but I really don't want to go this route since I can only assume it will be hell to get my bag back, which may result in me having to pay a fee anyway. I've looked into shipping the bag to Belgium, but the prices are upwards of $350+ which isn't ideal. Hoping someone has a suggestion!

Thanks in advance
How long is your connection in FRA?

If you have a continuing flight to Belgium, give them that connecting info, or have them short check it to FRA.
Old May 16, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: EBD , FBG
Hi,

When you check-in down on good old Ekapa, just ask them to only check the luggage to Frankfurt. I don't think that should be any issue.

I have done that if I have had transit and I wanted to do shopping that I needed to check in. But I suppose it depends on how long time you have in Frankfurt.
Old May 16, 2015, 9:26 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
If you are booked on LH573 and LH422 you have over 6 hours in FRA. Just say you want to check the bag to FRA as you need to do some shopping or have something in the bag to give to a friend in FRA. Don't mention anything about connecting to another flight since that tells the airline you are not taking the flight to BOS.
Old May 16, 2015, 9:29 am

My layover in Frankfurt is like 6 hours, do you think that is enough time to make it seem like I want my bag for transit shopping? To answer the question asked above, I don't have a continuing flight to Belgium, I'll be on a train. Do you think if I asked to check the bag to FRA only when boarding in Cape Town, they would have it de-planed in a short time? My train leaves Frankfurt HBF at 10:15am, flight is scheduled to land around 6am
Old May 16, 2015, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
If you are booked on LH573 and LH422 you have over 6 hours in FRA. Just say you want to check the bag to FRA as you need to do some shopping or have something in the bag to give to a friend in FRA. Don't mention anything about connecting to another flight since that tells the airline you are not taking the flight to BOS.
Perfect, those are my exact flights. I wasn't sure if they would act suspicious, but that was my original idea.
Old May 16, 2015, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No need to fib. Just ask for what you want, e.g., "please check my bags to FRA, I want them there."

As fair warning to others, many carriers will not short-check as it's a red flag for hidden city ticketing and other ticket fraud. LH isn't one of them.
Old May 16, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: EBD , FBG
I love Cape Town !

You should go to Mzoli's place for barbecue...^
Old May 16, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Often1
..As fair warning to others, many carriers will not short-check as it's a red flag for hidden city ticketing and other ticket fraud.
While you are right, it isn't fraud, just a violation of the TOS/CoC. Even offerings services to provide hidden city circumvention isn't fraud if I remember the outcome of that court case UA instigated correctly.

If the airline acts up, you can always "pull a medical". Claim that you have liquids checked that you need for medical reasons at the connection. No carrier will fight that risk.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Often1
As fair warning to others, many carriers will not short-check as it's a red flag for hidden city ticketing and other ticket fraud.
No, that isn't fraud, neither it is murder, nor burglary, or any other criminal offense. Please stop posting false information to mislead others.

I'm not sure why people have an inclination to invent false stories to justify why they need luggage in the connecting airport. If I need that, I just say so, no need to go into details. If they refuse to short check my bags, I request my bag at the connecting airport. It won't fly further without me anyway.

Last edited by slowly; May 17, 2015 at 12:58 am
Old May 16, 2015, 11:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by slowly
No, that isn't fraud, neither it is murder, nor burglary, or any other criminal offense. Please stop posting false information to mislead others.

I'm not sure why people have an inclination to invent false stories to justify why they need luggage in the connecting airport. If I need that, I just say so, no need to go into details. If they refuse to short check my bags, I request my bag at the connecting airport. It won't fly further without me anyway.
It's not false information. Many airlines will absolutely NOT short check luggage.
Old May 17, 2015, 12:56 am

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Saying hidden city ticketing is fraud = giving false information.

Never disputed that some agents don't want to short check bags. Not my problem, they just make connecting city's worker's job more difficult while retrieving my bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.