delayed flights - need advice

Old May 17, 18, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M FTL
delayed flights - need advice

newbie question.
yesterday I had a flight from EDI to BLQ through FRA, all flights were LH.
the first flight was delayed by 1 hour, so I missed my connection.
I have been rescheduled to another flight in the evening, and they gave me a voucher for restaurants.
then the evening flight has also been delayed by 1 hour.
the reason Lufthansa gave on the plane and at the gate was some kind of technical IT problems in their infrastructure.

what are my rights and options?
I read on LH website that if the flights are delayed for 2+ hours you have rights in EU, etc.
but in my case does this apply? is there anything I can do? I spent the entire afternoon and evening in FRA...
thanks for helping!
Old May 17, 18, 2:28 am

Hello,
check it on this site.
https://www.airhelp.com/en/
Old May 17, 18, 2:37 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
It sounds like you are eligible for 400 Euro compensation.(EU flights >1500 km) for delay (delayed more than 3 hours) under EU Reg. 261/04. IT issues should not be considered an extraordinary circumstances exempting LH from paying comp. Try Google EU reg. 261/04 to find the regulation (but it does not state anything about delay!)

Fill out out the form on the LH. webpage explaining in short that on 16 MAY you were delayed on LHXXX and had to be rebooked to later LHXXX flight to BLQ and thus delayed for more than 3 hours. Most likely LH will reject the claim (LH does that to all claimants regardless of the nature of the claim) so some persistance is needed. Reply back, argue why LH is wrong and ask for the comp. again; in most cases you will get it the second or third time unless LH really is of the opinion that there is no obligation to pay as the delay was caused by extraordinary circumstances outside the control of the carrier. Good luck!

As already pointed out airhelp or other claims agencies could also be a solution if you dont want to deal with it yourself. Their services are on "no cure no pay" basis and they keep 25-40% of the compensation for their services.
Unterwegs and raffa like this.

Last edited by SK AAR; May 17, 18 at 2:43 am
Old May 17, 18, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Fill out out the form on the LH. webpage explaining in short that on 16 MAY you were delayed on LHXXX and had to be rebooked to later LHXXX flight to BLQ and thus delayed for more than 3 hours. Most likely LH will reject the claim (LH does that to all claimants regardless of the nature of the claim) so some persistance is needed. Reply back, argue why LH is wrong and ask for the comp. again; in most cases you will get it the second or third time unless LH really is of the opinion that there is no obligation to pay as the delay was caused by extraordinary circumstances outside the control of the carrier. Good luck!
thanks!
I found this link from LH: https://soep-online.de/request-form-flight.html is that the right one?

and also: in this case how is the delay calculated? is it just the two 1-hour delays taken into account, or also the many hours wasted in airport?
Old May 17, 18, 3:08 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
No, you need to complain to LH first. Us ethis link: https://www.lufthansa.com/xx/en/Feedback

The delay is calculated comparing your actual arrival time at BLQ with the original scheduled arrival time.

If you have no experience with this, maybe it is better that you use airhelp or other claims agency.
raffa likes this.
Old May 17, 18, 3:17 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN*, HH Gold
Although a different airline the BA forum has a comprehensive guide to EC261/2004 compensation which you may like to check.

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
raffa likes this.
Old May 17, 18, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
No, you need to complain to LH first. Us ethis link: https://www.lufthansa.com/xx/en/Feedback

The delay is calculated comparing your actual arrival time at BLQ with the original scheduled arrival time.

If you have no experience with this, maybe it is better that you use airhelp or other claims agency.
thanks!
I used another agency in the past with successful results, but if they are taking 40% I'd prefer to learn to do it by myself

so EDI-BLQ is 1500+ km, but is the total distance calculated, or just the two shorter segments of EDI-FRA and FRA-BLQ?

also: it was a business (P) ticket, is the compensation going to be higher for this?
Old May 17, 18, 3:41 am

Programs: AF-KL P | SK D | AZ CFA | LO FTL
Originally Posted by raffa View Post
it was a business (P) ticket, is the compensation going to be higher for this?
Class of travel has nothing to do with this, unless a downgrade comes into play.

G
Old May 17, 18, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK View Post
Class of travel has nothing to do with this, unless a downgrade comes into play.

G
from the BA thread:
"To simplify a complex area, delays greater than 2 to 4 hours can result in compensation of between €125 and €600 per person (depending on flight category)"

so I guess "category" has a different meaning and it not intended to mean the class?
thank you
Old May 17, 18, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by raffa View Post
from the BA thread:
"To simplify a complex area, delays greater than 2 to 4 hours can result in compensation of between €125 and €600 per person (depending on flight category)"

so I guess "category" has a different meaning and it not intended to mean the class?
thank you
Category as of distance basically, see below from the very same thread -

5) Categories of flights
First thing to understand is: which category does your flight fall under? This determines the level of compensation payable.

Category 1 - under 1501 km - LHR to FCO (Rome) is 1446 km
Category 2 - 1501 km to under 3500 km - LHR to BEY (Beirut) is 3486 km
Category 3 - 3501 km and higher
G
Old May 17, 18, 3:53 am
Original Poster

aaaah my bad, missed that
Old May 17, 18, 3:58 am

Good luck with the claim and let us know how you get on

G
raffa likes this.
Old May 17, 18, 3:11 pm

I’ve misconnected twice from the evening EDI and LH paid out both times, first time without issue, second after I commenced a claim via MCOL.
raffa likes this.