Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cash Upgrade on Lufthansa from H-E, UA mileage credit only for H?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 11:05 pm
htb
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Cash Upgrade on Lufthansa from H-E, UA mileage credit only for H?

Hi everyone,

I've upgraded an economy ticket from H using a fixed price a week before departure. The fare class was changed into "E" on the reservation confirmation but never on the ticket receipt. The ticket number also didn't change. My boarding pass also shows "E" in small letters between the flight number and the flight date.

It was my understanding that mileage credit should be for "E" instead for "H". However, when I did a retro-credit 10 days after the flight date, only miles for "H" posted -- even though instantly.

What is the best way to proceed to claim the missing miles? Any experience?

HTB.
Old May 16, 2018, 11:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This may be a question for the LH forum. UA will post based on what LH tells UA. So this really depends on how LH is treating the upgrade.

While UA will occasionally post differential that what the flight operator reports, there does be any information in the ticket record of the fare class change, so that not likely to be a useful appraoch. So other than asking UA to re-request the info from LH (and probably not getting a different response), not sure what you can do.

As mentioned, this might be a better query in the LH forum to see how LH treats this upgrade.
Old May 19, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
LH goes with what is on the ticket. So if the ticket never updated ... that's the reason. Nothing UA will do here.
Old May 19, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Was this a 016 or a 220 ticket? Knowing how you booked the ticket and how you booked the cash upgrade may help us assess the situation.
Old May 19, 2018, 5:50 pm
htb
Original Poster

It's a 220 ticket. The cash upgrade was done on the website -- according to the FAQ, the outbound was supposed to be rebooked into E and the inbound into N. This was correctly represented on the boarding pass and the display on the website. If I look at the website now, the ticket number is missing, however...

However, when I pull the itinerary receipt, it still shows the old booking classes.

I was mostly wondering if anyone here has experienced this in the past and how this was resolved. So far I guess my best chance is to contact the LH lurkers and see what they can do. Or I could send UA the confirmation with the new booking classes. But first I'll wait to see how the return will post -- if it will post at all.

HTB.
Old May 19, 2018, 6:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Especially now, as a LH ticket, this seems best for the LH forum. So will move this there were other might have more data on how LH handles this cash upgrade. UA is just going to do as instructed by LH on the mileage posting.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old May 20, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
When I’ve done cash upgrades before on LH, the segments have always posted into the new booking class on my MileagePlus account. Not sure why this one didn’t post into E.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:52 pm
htb
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sannmann
When I’ve done cash upgrades before on LH, the segments have always posted into the new booking class on my MileagePlus account. Not sure why this one didn’t post into E.
Did anyone else do fixed price upgrades in the past? When exactly?

The LH lurkers say that with fixed price upgrades (even ahead of time) will not result in a changed ticket, and so they are unable to say which booking class United will credit. They are basically refusing to even look into the matter, even though there's an obvious problem caused by LH, which is that that the flights didn't credit automatically in the first place.

HTB.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by sannmann
this
Old May 31, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I could be wrong.

But since OP uses the word "upgrade" rather than "fare up", it is clear to me that OP should earn what OP has paid originally.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:29 am
htb
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
I could be wrong.

But since OP uses the word "upgrade" rather than "fare up", it is clear to me that OP should earn what OP has paid originally.

That's why I was asking for experiences. LH clearly states that the booking class will change (according to a table they provide) after going through with the cash-upgrade (prior to arriving at the check-in counter).

HTB.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:56 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I did e-> z upgrades on MUC- IAD vv last year and it posted as Z. The problem is the tickets are stickered, so the database united uses to check may not be coded to reflect that.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:17 am

G -> D cash upgrade

I wasn't able to do any useful operations on the LH site for my 016 issued itinerary, including seat selection. I called the service center line and was able to get a cash upgrade from G to D on FRA-IAH segment for $630 and also get seat assignments. I checked the itinerary on united.com and it now correctly shows 'D' class along with the appropriate 2X PQM accrual details for this segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.