Wiki Posts
Search

FlyNet on OS?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
FlyNet on OS?

Does anyone know if the 777s that were retrofitted with Premium Economy support FlyNet?

The last press releases I could find online are from January 2017 and mention Airbus planes only, I wonder whether that has changed.

How does Austrian's pricing look like, specifically for VIE-LAX/NRT/BKK/PVG? Are there any ways to prepay/buy access before? Anyone aware which roaming partners OS supports (same as LH?)?
Old May 11, 2018, 8:08 pm

It’s only short and medium haul

Starting from the 2017 summer schedule, 31 short and medium-haul aircraft in the myAustrian Airbus family will be equipped with the latest broadband satellite system by our technology partner Inmarsat.

Here you can find the pricing
https://www.austrian.com/Info/Flying..._lang=en&cc=AT
Old May 11, 2018, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ctrlf
Thanks, that pricing is for short/medium-haul though. I doubt they would sell FlyNet STREAM at €12 for VIE-LAX/BKK/NRT/PVG (as they probably cannot, since coverage would be worse and possibly many more people using it).

For example, LH also has different pricing for short/medium-haul and long-haul:
- https://www.lufthansa.com/online/myportal/lh/us/infoservice?nodeid=489246292&l=en&cid=1000390
- https://www.lufthansa.com/online/myportal/lh/us/infoservice?nodeid=740177746&l=en&cid=1000390

One core question here is whether Austrian offers Internet on long-haul flights in general, or whether it is still short/medium-haul only. The entertainment on board page still says short/medium-haul and Airbus, but it also says "Starting from the 2017 summer schedule", so I am hoping that it is outdated and that they introduced it on long-haul with the introduction of Premium Economy the past two months (long-hauls are Boeing 763/777):

Starting from the 2017 summer schedule, 31 short and medium-haul aircraft in the myAustrian Airbus family will be equipped with the latest broadband satellite system by our technology partner Inmarsat.
Edit: Ha! Looks like you edited your post in between me replying and the notification I got :-)

The question remains though: Is it still only short/medium-haul, or is it also offered on long-haul (possibly in a testing phase)? Does anyone have some more recent information?

Last edited by bookeew; May 11, 2018 at 8:19 pm Reason: Adding comment about ctrlf's edited comment, to clarify now redundant information.
Old May 12, 2018, 7:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The longhaul fleet does not have Flynet.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The longhaul fleet does not have Flynet.
Thanks, that's unfortunate. I figured as much, but hope is the last to die

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.