Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The LOT Kafeteria 2018-23 (retired)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
One important difference is that Y+ pax need to pay for lounge access (unless they're FTLs or *Gold).

I flew in Y+ in 2017 twice; one time TLL-WAW, and another time WAW-ARN, both times on a Nordica-operated CRJ9. I'm pretty sure there was a curtain, but may remember it wrongly. LOT's own Embraers, Q400s and older 737s do have it for sure, and it always divides C and Y+ from plain Y.

Food-wise, I didn't see any difference from what the C pax were served (for WAW-TLL I was in C and the food was exactly the same), except C pax getting the food unwrapped, and me in Y+ needing to remove the plastic covers from a few items. Drink offer might have been different, but I didn't care about that anyway (it's usually tomato juice for me). Quality-wise, it's no worse from Lufthansa's C food, and sometimes better.

So, as I said, whenever the price is reasonable, it's great. On the other hand, every time I see that it's 85%+ of the C price, I personally prefer paying much less and getting an exit row seat in Y and, if I'm hungry, buying the 20 zł sandwich from LOT Sky Bar (though, of course, FTL gets me priority check-in, fast track security and WAW lounge access even in plain economy, so things may differ for non-status pax who don't have that).
iLied likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: Miles & More, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK

No idea to be perfectly honest with you, nor have I ever paid any attention in that respect!

G
It’s fine! It’s more that it’s suddenly going from 3h down to 2h40, which seems a bit odd. The return flights are all around 2h30.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by marcoos
One important difference is that Y+ pax need to pay for lounge access (unless they're FTLs or *Gold).

I flew in Y+ in 2017 twice; one time TLL-WAW, and another time WAW-ARN, both times on a Nordica-operated CRJ9. I'm pretty sure there was a curtain, but may remember it wrongly. LOT's own Embraers, Q400s and older 737s do have it for sure, and it always divides C and Y+ from plain Y.

Food-wise, I didn't see any difference from what the C pax were served (for WAW-TLL I was in C and the food was exactly the same), except C pax getting the food unwrapped, and me in Y+ needing to remove the plastic covers from a few items. Drink offer might have been different, but I didn't care about that anyway (it's usually tomato juice for me). Quality-wise, it's no worse from Lufthansa's C food, and sometimes better.

So, as I said, whenever the price is reasonable, it's great. On the other hand, every time I see that it's 85%+ of the C price, I personally prefer paying much less and getting an exit row seat in Y and, if I'm hungry, buying the 20 zł sandwich from LOT Sky Bar (though, of course, FTL gets me priority check-in, fast track security and WAW lounge access even in plain economy, so things may differ for non-status pax who don't have that).
Thanks. Without going into details, I get a lot of that without needing Y+ or C to an extent at my home airport. They don’t appear to have a Y+ line though, so maybe from WAW or TLL it’s better in that respect. The only thing that could have been useful was paying for lounge access as the layover is long for me. The flights are short enough that the free snacks will be fine, especially with my arrival time in WAW being at lunchtime so I have time to reacquaint myself with Polish food!

i’m trying to get status but it’s not easy although trying for now with the 30 flight segments.

I know the Nordica CRJ9’s have a curtain, I’m just not sure which side of it Y+ is.
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:21 pm

I quite liked the food served in Y+ WAW-LHR. Was hot and tasty. FA was surprisingly pleasant. We didn’t get a tablecloth unlike the J folks in the row in front, though :P
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marcoos
I personally prefer paying much less and getting an exit row seat in Y and
+1, especially on the 7M8, where the pitch is terrible, the seat even worse and you find yourself holding the catering tray whilst eating as it won’t fit on the tray table.

G
hugolover likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

20zł for a sandwich? Those are BArbara’s Brexiteer M&S BOB prices! It’s 12zł, thankfully. And very good they are too. I tend to buy one of those Do&Co sandwiches.

The porridge for 6zł is very reasonable on the morning flights. Like that morning KSC flight which doesn’t have much loaded.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by iLied
Thanks! At least it’s an affordable alternative to C. On short haul, is Y+ next to the Y cabin?
Sorry, I thought we were discussing Y+ in long-haul aircraft, I did not even know they sold this on short-haul services. I don't think domestic European C is worth the cost, let alone Y+.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by iLied
I know the Nordica CRJ9’s have a curtain, I’m just not sure which side of it Y+ is.
Whenever there actually is a curtain, it's always between C/Y+ and Y.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
C and Y+ are virtually the same (apart from the middle seat and the number of points earned, needless to say) the only difference being standard versus plastic glass and the take-away style food tray as opposed to the standard dish in C.

G
...and let us not forget the C customers generally receive a linen tray cloth upon which the delectable catering is presented, while those of us in Y+ have to suffer without.

Originally Posted by mmff
Sorry, I thought we were discussing Y+ in long-haul aircraft, I did not even know they sold this on short-haul services. I don't think domestic European C is worth the cost, let alone Y+.
There are some small benefits to short-haul Y+, such as C catering, faster boarding, and in case of a bus gate in WAW, you will be invited to pile into a dedicated mini-bus for C and Y+ pax, which arrives at the terminal slightly faster.

For a dedicated short-haul product, I do not personally see huge bundles of value in LO Y+. However, as a connector to/from a long-haul (for little to no extra cost), it is obvious to me that LO is attempting to make the Y+ product at least optically a tick better than regular Y. In addition to the improved catering, at least for my 50+ body, the extra few cm of shoulder room, dedicated armrest, extra legroom and seatback recline, make a big difference. The catering long-haul in Y+ is generally the same as in C, except it is all served together on one tray, which for me is a bonus anyway, especially on the overnight flights. Also, for those who at least pretend to do work on the road (or want to catch up on the latest videos or whatever on a computer/tablet, smart phone), the dedicated power supply in the Y+ seats I find useful and is up to the task of supplying even an 85W Apple brick without dying.

I have been plying the ORD/WAW/FRA route in a 75/25 mix of Y+ and C now for about 14 months (I did have one return in regular Y, for comparison), and despite LO's more-than-occasional operational "challenges" I find the Y+ service generally worth the up-price.

LO for whatever reason often prices very aggressively ex-DACH to North America, and in my case, the price difference is enough to entice me to sacrifice a few hours of travel time and the hazards of a transfer in WAW. To see what I mean, pick a few random dates on the FRA/ORD route and compare pricing between LO and the direct LH/UA monopoly alternative, and one will note the price difference can be significant.

(and when things turn very bad in WAW, I find the Marriott properties directly on the airport to be reasonably priced, clean, and well-enough appointed )
AlicorporateUK and mmff like this.

Last edited by N1003U; Jan 4, 2019 at 8:22 am Reason: route correction
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmff
I don't think domestic European C is worth the cost, let alone Y+.
On a number of 'via WAW' routes (at least those I used to fly more often e.g. XXX-WAW-GDN/BEG/ZAG, to mention a few), Y+ but also C was, bizarrely enough, often cheaper than Y (a few weeks ago I got a LHR-WAW-GDN return in C for 'just' ~400 GBP when Y was well over 600...).

G
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:36 am

On a number of 'via WAW' routes (at least those I used to fly more often e.g. XXX-WAW-GDN/BEG/ZAG, to mention a few), Y+ but also C was, bizarrely enough, often cheaper than Y (a few weeks ago I got a LHR-WAW-GDN return in C for 'just' ~400 GBP when Y was well over 600...).

G
I suspect this is due to load factors and the Y prices eventually get more expensive than Y+ and C classes. I’ve seen the same thing with train tickets, where first is cheaper than second. It’s worth just checking the prices just in case something like that happens.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by N1003U
There are some small benefits to short-haul Y+, such as C catering, faster boarding, and in case of a bus gate in WAW, you will be invited to pile into a dedicated mini-bus for C and Y+ pax, which arrives at the terminal slightly faster.
Yes, I meant that domestic C on its own is typically a waste, especially if you always have lounge access and can use the priority lanes at security and boarding due to your status. I also don't say no to the front rows when I'm connecting to/from long-haul flights.

If this is the case, I'm all for buying C or Y+ even for short-haul routes within Europe. I would expect this to happen only occasionally and for fares with different degrees of flexibility (e.g. P vs Y) but I'm not too familiar with LO's pricing.
AlicorporateUK and N1003U like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Most certainly on both fronts, I would give it at least another 4 weeks before chasing things up. Frustrating, I know, but industry standard I'm afraid (the only airline which has so far impressed me is SAS – always incredibly quick i.e. I've never waited for more than 10 days and without too much fuss on most occasions).

G
Just to follow up (data point on EU claim processing time):

I just received today a confirmation today from LO that they have reviewed my EU261 claim (from a flight on 14AUG18, initial claim submitted 14SEP18) and they will, in fact, pay compensation. I have to fill out yet another form (with bank information), and LO is saying it may take another 4 weeks, but I now have written confirmation that the payment is coming.
AlicorporateUK and iLied like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:44 am

Often enough, I've seen ex-PL Lufty pricing cheaper in C (well P) then what FR charged for their cheapest option. And a very small delta between Y and C prices.
Travel policies to blame I recon.
hugolover and AlicorporateUK like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:44 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Curtain-wise, I honestly can't remember on the CR9 but, yes, that definitely applies to the E70s. I have been to several Y+ mid-morning/afternoon services, yes (if you're about to ask about the catering, it varies depending on the route I had cold cuts' salads but also hot meals).

G

no curtains on both CR9 flights I took last week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.