Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The LOT Kafeteria 2018-23 (retired)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With no notice Mileage Bargains domestic and Europe are now 7k OW 10k RT. That’s a pity. Lovely of LOT to enhance that.

By the way that’s under the headline of:

“Check new, cheaper mileage prices for one way or round trip flights” 😂

And from what I can see so-called ME flights have only reduced as RT. Rest is the same or gone up.

Something biting over at LOT towers?

Them provincial ghost ships to TLV are 15k instead of 20k. No wonder! They’re dirt cheap revenue...

Last edited by hugolover; Oct 8, 2018 at 5:31 am
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: LH Sen, Hilton Diamond
Flew SR SVO-WAW several times back then. Definitely preferable to SU or LO. Only disadvantage was a very early departure time.
Also flew KL BUD-PRG as they did have flying rights on their BUD-PRG-AMS route.

Last edited by tem123; Oct 8, 2018 at 10:47 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Crazy Wednesday prices are not exactly crazy this week. LH have better fares especially considering the connection to WAW is not included and LOT is basically BOB.

I am forming a clearer picture that they are struggling.
N1003U likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: Miles & More, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by hugolover
With no notice Mileage Bargains domestic and Europe are now 7k OW 10k RT. That’s a pity. Lovely of LOT to enhance that.

By the way that’s under the headline of:

“Check new, cheaper mileage prices for one way or round trip flights” 😂

And from what I can see so-called ME flights have only reduced as RT. Rest is the same or gone up.

Something biting over at LOT towers?

Them provincial ghost ships to TLV are 15k instead of 20k. No wonder! They’re dirt cheap revenue...
Does this apply to Nordica flights as well?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iLied

Does this apply to Nordica flights as well?
If EE flights were in the Mileage Bargains? I think I saw some. Then yes. Now 10k. Remember the regular rates are so high, isn’t it like 30k?

By the way, small mistake on my part, domestic flights stay at 7k (which were new to MB anyway) and European increase to 10k. It certainly makes them look bad if both were 10k. As is often the case the MB email link goes to a site where’s the actual mileage box is a photo and a dead link, so I didn’t see that.

In other news I saw POZ-TLV is being binned. Further evidence of a biting decline, so down to 99 routes now, or fewer?

How much longer can RZE-EWR cling on with the fuel situation?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by hugolover
In other news I saw POZ-TLV is being binned. Further evidence of a biting decline, so down to 99 routes now, or fewer?

How much longer can RZE-EWR cling on with the fuel situation?
TLV and RZE are connected to subsidies offer with new routes. So TLV services from smaller PL airports will naturally close over time, RZE routes may increase as it offers an avenue for the PL government to circumvent EU restrictions on how much money they can pump into LOT in difficult times.
N1003U likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So is it only FR VDA that gets subsidy from the Israeli's?
None of the provincial TLV routes ex-PL, but maybe from PiS?
And the UA routes from the provincials, like BZG-LWO?
Also, KTW-TRN?
If not, then the picture isn't clear that LOT are doing all this for subsidies.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

EU airports can waive fees to airlines starting new routes and offer other cash incentives. Meridiana skimmed millions from MUC that way, and opponents of the proposed 3rd runway dragged out this dirty side of the business to convince everyone to mistrust airport growth statistics.

TLV and other IL destinations also offer incentives for airlines to start flights. As do various US cities/airports. In the TRN-KTW example there could be assistance from both sides.
N1003U likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by oliver2002

TLV and other IL destinations also offer incentives for airlines to start flights. As do various US cities/airports. In the TRN-KTW example there could be assistance from both sides.
Much of the USA is big on public access to open government records, so it's usually a relatively straightforward freedom of information request to find out how much an airport like Pittsburgh or Indianapolis paid to subsidize the start of transatlantic service, provided that local news outlets haven't already done the work for you first.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse
Much of the USA is big on public access to open government records, so it's usually a relatively straightforward freedom of information request to find out how much an airport like Pittsburgh or Indianapolis paid to subsidize the start of transatlantic service, provided that local news outlets haven't already done the work for you first.
No doubt. In LO's case I don't think they started any new routes to the US except for RZE-EWR and I doubt PANYNJ is super eager for more business.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
No doubt. In LO's case I don't think they started any new routes to the US except for RZE-EWR and I doubt PANYNJ is super eager for more business.
Well, WAW-MIA starts next June.

Yesterday they announced the takeover of LOT Polish Airlines, LOT-AMS, LS Airport Services and LS Technics by the newly-founded and government-owned Polish Aviation Group/Polska Grupa Lotnicza. LOT-AMS and both LS companies had previously been split-off from LOT years ago (basically, LOT spun off and sold a few of its departments to the government back then; you can see it by "LOT" in "LOT-AMS" and by "LS" in the other two, a former shorthand for "LOT Services"), now they're including all those four companies back into this PGL holding, which is also supposed to include a newly-founded aircraft leasing company in the future.

LOT CEO Rafał Milczarski becomes the CEO of PGL, while keeping the position of LOT CEO as well.

Last edited by marcoos; Oct 11, 2018 at 3:24 pm
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:41 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by TPJ
These are the answers:

1. It was IST.

In 1998 communism was virtually collapsing, but shops were still empty (like empty-empty, and not that some goods were temporarily not available). The government started giving certain trusted people passports to go to Turkey to buy goods and then resell them in Poland. The trip was on a red eye IL8 flight to IST where folks were spending a day in the Grand Bazaar buying goods and then taking another red eye back to WAW.

2. LO/SU/SR (Swissair as part of the ZRH-WAW-SVO route)/KL (as part of the AMS-WAW-SVO route, no traffic rights between WAW and SVO)

3. LO and PA (PAA - Pan American World Airways)

PA WAW-based F/A's were operating on all Eastern European routes that in the summer 1988 included B727's flights from FRA to the following destinations: WAW; KRK via PRG; LED via SVO; OTP via BUD; DBV via ZAG; BEG via ZAG. This F/A base survived the PAA bankruptcy and was taken over by DL. It existed till 1998 or 1999 and was closed as the last non-US base.
You should do this more often! It's fun and we learn something!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by marcoos
Well, WAW-MIA starts next June.

Yesterday they announced the takeover of LOT Polish Airlines, LOT-AMS, LS Airport Services and LS Technics by the newly-founded and government-owned Polish Aviation Group/Polska Grupa Lotnicza. LOT-AMS and both LS companies had previously been split-off from LOT years ago (basically, LOT spun off and sold a few of its departments to the government back then; you can see it by "LOT" in "LOT-AMS" and by "LS" in the other two, a former shorthand for "LOT Services"), now they're including all those four companies back into this PGL holding, which is also supposed to include a newly-founded aircraft leasing company in the future.

LOT CEO Rafał Milczarski becomes the CEO of PGL, while keeping the position of LOT CEO as well.
Is there anymore about LOT taking over Croatia Airlines?

Where does Regional Jet fall under this structure? Especially seeing as LOT purchased a 49% stake on the cheap from Nordica/Nordic Aviation Group.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
Croatia Airlines was just rumors.

Regional Jet is 49%-owned by LOT, no new information here. Since both LOT and the Estonians claim they’re happy with the current LOT-Nordica-Regional Jet arrangement, I wouldn’t expect any changes.

Trade unions announced a company-wide strike for October 18th, demanding i.a. the reinstatement of the cabin crew union leader.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by marcoos
Croatia Airlines was just rumors.

Regional Jet is 49%-owned by LOT, no new information here. Since both LOT and the Estonians claim they’re happy with the current LOT-Nordica-Regional Jet arrangement, I wouldn’t expect any changes.

Trade unions announced a company-wide strike for October 18th, demanding i.a. the reinstatement of the cabin crew union leader.
Ah, ok. I don’t know if the EU would allow it.

I’m aware nothing is new as everything is fine. I wasn’t sure where it falls under the new structure. I don’t know how a stake that LOT has falls into the new holding company. I’m assuming it’s part of LOT, rather than the holding company.

Interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.