The LOT Kafeteria

Old Jul 23, 22, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

It was good to fly LOT again after their recent expansion in the Balkans and thought to list a few data points and indeed an informal —or so to speak— comparison with Austrian, which is “standard choice” for my regular “hops” (I tend to avoid Lufthansa these days, especially after the Munich—Frankfurt service switch from Sarajevo).

On-Time Performance/Connection Experience
Austrian: I must have been lucky so far but I have yet to experience a delay of more than 30 minutes (I do roughly 8 segments per month), I even managed to make connections of 35 minutes with over 20 minutes’ delay (mostly out of Heathrow) and remote stand on arrival. No major disruption with LOT either but I would be somewhat reluctant to go for a short layover at Warsaw, mostly given their poor operational record (especially in the summer).

Hub Lounges
Mazurek can get very busy at times and possibly luck again however, those (very few) times I managed to pop in to the G lounge at Vienna, I was always able to get a seat.

Priority Boarding
LOT: not enforced at SJJ/PRN.
Austrian: enforced at SJJ, no one could care less at PRN.

On-Board Experience
1D on LOT’s E90 all the way. That said, great crews on both fronts, even though I’ve noticed that LOT pursers tend to “disappear” as soon as the service is done-and-dusted (which I don’t really mind as I love being left alone with my book) whereas you would get a number of “pampering rounds” (i.e. kind refilling offers) on Austrian. Food-wise: standard service is cold meal from both Sarajevo & Pristina (LOT), hot meal from Pristina on Austrian (despite the slightly shorter flight), choice of sandwiches on Sarajevo-Vienna services.

A few examples below:

LO578 SJJ—WAW (Decent quality, no complaints whatsoever):

OS758 SJJ—VIE:

OS768 PRN—VIE (By all means the only highlight is the ever-changing and delicious pudding by Do&Co):

Whilst I’m here, I’m also posting an example of LX’s (ghastly) standard meal from Sarajevo:

Needless to say, competition always welcome indeed and I therefore hope that LOT will maintain even a somewhat reduced schedule out of Sarajevo over the forthcoming winter season.

G
Old Jul 24, 22, 7:07 am

Nice to see you back G after a few years away!

You said you flew in 1D, that's interesting, because I haven't flown on the newly leased E90s, that's LME/F (G/H don't have 1CD but 1AB). I didn't expect they'd have a bulkhead in front, I expected them to be like the crappy 95's from Azur and Russia that have 1CD into the galley and you sit looking out of the door and also no legroom?

Seems LME with 1CD flew LO577/8 on 18JUN but LMB flew 14JUN LO577/8 which has 2CD and loads of legroom. From your pic looked to me like 2CD but then you wrote 1CD. Hence my question.

Something unique to LOT is how they stop service as soon as the captain pings the seatbelt which happens as soon as they commence descent so around 35 mins before landing. No 10 mins to landing like on BA or KL.
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Jul 24, 22, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks, D.

Attention to details (as usual) there and I can't remember exactly on which aircraft/seat that picture was taken (I could create my own sad airline meals blog with all the pictures I've got stored...) but it could have well been 2D (by the way, spot-on, I did fly LO577 on 14JUN). Row 1 (as you obviously know) is normally blocked when you attempt to choose seats (i.e. after booking) however I made sure to check-in at 24h on the dot this past Friday and 1D was still available (it eventually turned out that the trainee Agnieszka only had 1 passenger to deal with so there was no need to rush at check-in). For the records, the aircraft was SP-LNA (Podkarpackie livery) and 1D had indeed plenty of legroom (I don't normally pay attention to the aircraft but I definitely had quite a few flights sitting on 1D and with the same legroom as SP-LNA, not necessarily on those SJJ/PRN services). The other thing I've noticed (which, again, you will already be aware of) is that there are quite a few trainees (cabin crew) flying these days: a senior cabin crew was sitting on 2A yesterday, she basically just observed and seemed to be filling in a form during take-off and later during landing as well. Again, for the records, 76 passengers yesterday, I assume many of them were in transit; ditto with the Sarajevo flights – always packed, especially LO578 WAW-SJJ, whereas I did a couple of LO577 SJJ-WAW with less than 20 passengers, but I assume it's pretty normal given that most of the diaspora traffic is outbound during June/July (incidentally, I flew to Vienna from Pristina towards the end of June with roughly 30 passengers on a 321...).

Overall, wise move from LOT to expand in such markets this year (especially Kosovo with its huge diaspora and not only in Europe but pretty much everywhere in the US): whilst (as we all know) packed flights won't necessarily translate to healthy finances or so to speak, with the fares I'm seeing since April/May this year (at least on those flights I am normally booked on i.e. LHR/AMS/PRN/BEG via VIE/WAW/ZRH/FRA), I would attempt to make a guess and say that they must be definitely making some $$$.

P.S.: you prompted me to go and look back at the boarding pass from yesterday (which I used as bookmark) just to ensure I wasn't going mad:

G
hugolover and iLied like this.

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Jul 24, 22 at 9:00 am
Old Jul 24, 22, 10:17 am

Ahhhh so you flew on an E95. Now it makes sense .

I guess LME/F (which are E90) are probably configured without the bulkhead on the right side and you sit with the crew just like the crappy new E95s. I thought youd flown on these and could tell us how theyre configured.
AlicorporateUK and iLied like this.

Last edited by hugolover; Jul 25, 22 at 3:40 am
Old Jul 24, 22, 5:36 pm

Programs: HH diamond/LH Senator/Elite plus
hugolover ME/MF have 1CD only and 2-27 ABCD. I will try to ask about MH
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Jul 25, 22, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by oskiboski View Post
hugolover ME/MF have 1CD only and 2-27 ABCD. I will try to ask about MH
Yes, I know, I wrote that earlier on and somehow didnt carry it on in my past post. Ill edit the last one.

All that happened was the incorrect designator was used, E90 instead of E95, and thats why I got confused because I thought it was a fresh datapoint on the new aircraft.

LMG/H are configured the same as LMA-D. I do wonder if there is a bulkhead on the right and it has tonnes of room at 2CD?

The outliers in the E90 fleet are E/F lets call them the CAI planes, as they almost exclusively fly there, I presume due to AR?

Last edited by hugolover; Jul 25, 22 at 3:47 am
Old Jul 25, 22, 4:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
LOs E190/95 fleet is very diverse... they have CF34-10E6, -10E5, -10E5A1, & -10E7 engines and in various states of maintainance. God knows how the guys who administer the spares manage.

https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/...ctive-e190.htm
Old Jul 25, 22, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
LOs E190/95 fleet is very diverse... they have CF34-10E6, -10E5, -10E5A1, & -10E7 engines and in various states of maintainance. God knows how the guys who administer the spares manage.

https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/...ctive-e190.htm
LMG is missing from that, its also 190STD

I flew on one of the newly leased 195's other day and it was absolutely clapped out, a/c completed screwed- freezing at the back, all pax in blankets, water system not working properly, tea maker unable to get hot, lots of arm rests marked "INOPERATIVE", ice crystals on the rear doors. Very premium.
the810 and BA850 like this.
Old Jul 26, 22, 1:53 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ANA Bronze
Flying LOT for the first time on an award flight - nothing fancy, just VIE-WAW and WAW-SPU. Had a few questions though:
  • It seems like 1D on the E195/90s might have a little more legroom than the rest of the seats, is that true?
  • Obviously know about how their intra-Europe business class works, but should I expect pretty minimal catering?
  • Is the lounge in Warsaw worth checking out, or if I have a longish (5ish hours connections) should I make a quick run into the city instead?
Old Jul 26, 22, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by skydelt View Post
Flying LOT for the first time on an award flight - nothing fancy, just VIE-WAW and WAW-SPU. Had a few questions though:
  • It seems like 1D on the E195/90s might have a little more legroom than the rest of the seats, is that true?
  • Obviously know about how their intra-Europe business class works, but should I expect pretty minimal catering?
  • Is the lounge in Warsaw worth checking out, or if I have a longish (5ish hours connections) should I make a quick run into the city instead?
1D might have more space, but it might not, especially if its one of the newly leased 195s as thats the worst seat in the C cabin.

Yes, quite small but its OK, service will stop as soon as decent commences. Generally you might only get one drink before they disappear into Y, so maybe ding.
Old Jul 27, 22, 3:03 am

Programs: Miles and More (Senator)
As mentioned above - in general 1D should have more legroom than the rest although on certain planes that might not necessarily be the case.
Catering should be fine although I would not expect anything special (would not call it "minimal" though).
The LOT lounges in WAW are ok, I'd definitely say that they are above average compared to your typical European J class lounge. As WAW-SPU will be departing from non-Schengen zone you can check out the Polonez lounge in the Schengen section first and the Mazurek lounge in the non-Schengen section. Within Polonez there is also a separate lounge within a lounge for *G members that actually serves you proper champagne (which might currently be the only *G lounge in Europe that does that). In any event, given that the city centre is a 20-25 minute ride by cab from/to the airport I'd still probably choose to quickly run into the city if you have more 5+ hours.
Old Jul 27, 22, 5:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
Catering is pretty decent: LOT intra-Europe Business Class catering
Old Jul 30, 22, 7:59 am

Programs: Delta SM, ANA Bronze
Originally Posted by JD3313 View Post
As mentioned above - in general 1D should have more legroom than the rest although on certain planes that might not necessarily be the case.
Catering should be fine although I would not expect anything special (would not call it "minimal" though).
The LOT lounges in WAW are ok, I'd definitely say that they are above average compared to your typical European J class lounge. As WAW-SPU will be departing from non-Schengen zone you can check out the Polonez lounge in the Schengen section first and the Mazurek lounge in the non-Schengen section. Within Polonez there is also a separate lounge within a lounge for *G members that actually serves you proper champagne (which might currently be the only *G lounge in Europe that does that). In any event, given that the city centre is a 20-25 minute ride by cab from/to the airport I'd still probably choose to quickly run into the city if you have more 5+ hours.
Brilliant, thanks so much for your (and everyone else's) very helpful advice. Should I have any trouble using Polonez before crossing over to non-Schengen? Any risk of a long passport control line when switching to Schengen that I should budget time for?
Old Jul 30, 22, 9:43 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Accor Platinum / Hilton Diamond / TAP Miles&Go Gold / IHG One Platinum
. Should I have any trouble using Polonez before crossing over to non-Schengen?
No , the agent might point out that mazurek lounge is available after passport controls , and if you wanna stay in polonez you need to pay attention to timing

Any risk of a long passport control line when switching to Schengen that I should budget time for?
While WAW has more and more non-schengen flights , a very few are operated with big planes like b777 or a330 , and since the war the heavy traffic to russia and ukraine has been stopped, so you most likely wont have any queue at all . Worse case scenario you will wait 5 mins max

Last edited by fifty_two; Jul 30, 22 at 9:50 am
Old Jul 31, 22, 5:05 am

It depends what citizenship you have. The all passports queue can be very long and slow. EU is super fast and the e-Gates always seem to be turned on.

For example coming the other way, I spent 40 mins queuing recently. I was less than one minute from being offloaded according to the gate staff. Russian and Uzbek passport holders took ages to clear the border.

Search this Thread