FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   First time on OS: EWR-VIE-HKG in C (seats/connecting/lounges/showers) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1907513-first-time-os-ewr-vie-hkg-c-seats-connecting-lounges-showers.html)

Fraser May 3, 2018 7:35 pm

First time on OS: EWR-VIE-HKG in C (seats/connecting/lounges/showers)

Been a while since I flew *A so no status anymore but redeemed some Aeroplan miles for a couple of OS tickets, as noted above EWR-VIE-HKG.

1) Just after booking I call OS to reserve seats. Given the staggered seating and overnight flights I picked 5A and 7A for us on the 763 on EWR-VIE, then I was told that on the 777 from VIE-HKG that if I wanted the solo seats I could only have 7A and 7K. I've just noticed on another thread that OS sell "Privacy Seats" for a fee on the 777s...however this wasn't mentioned by the agent. Is it that row 7 is excluded from this? Is row 7 a bad idea? I see Seatguru has it marked yellow to due to galley proximity but wasn't sure in reality how much difference that makes

2) Our flight gets in from EWR at 8.25am and the departing flight leaves for HKG at 5.50pm. My wife has never been to Vienna before so is keen to head into the city for a few hours. After the flight from EWR I would quite like to take a shower.
-From what I can tell the only showers in the OS lounges for longhaul C class passengers are for *G. Is that correct? I see the Priority Pass "Sky Lounge" in the non-Schengen side has a shower. Any opinions/experiences with this?
-Would it be possible to connect into departures for a shower and then just leave to head into the city after showering?
-Does the OS lounge have luggage storage or would I have to use the paid airport service?

Thank you in advance!

Fraser

bookeew May 4, 2018 6:21 pm

1. Row 7 is missing a window on the 763v2 (7 row C). It is not missing a window on the 763v1.
On the 772, row 7 has been bothersome due to bathrooms being right behind you. With the introduction of Premium Economy on Austrian, they might not be as bothersome because the bathrooms behind you might be for Premium Economy (so people shouldn't walk past you). However, you are sitting right in front of the jump seat, so you might hear FA chatting, meal prep etc. Bathroom smell is also not eliminated and *might* occur.

2. Austrian recently renovated some (or even all) of their lounges in Vienna. According to their website, the business class lounges also have showers: https://www.austrian.com/Info/Austri..._lang=en&cc=AT.
The OS lounges did not have luggage stores before the renovation, I don't think this has changed. The airport does have paid luggage storage at the end of the *A terminal.
I am not sure whether it is possible to connect into departures and leave again due to passport control etc. and being in the non-Schengen area.
The layout of the airport does not allow to exit easily (even from the Schengen area) as far as I am aware. You would likely have to chose either: a) taking a shower or b) visiting the city. I don't think there are showers landside, though I might be wrong.
If you are two or more, taking an Uber from the airport is about the same as taking the CAT (city airport train) for two (price to the airport differ, taxis are almost double). The light rail (S7) is much cheaper, but it might be difficult to navigate (and, as Austrians are, they like to fine tourists €90+ for having the wrong ticket).

Air Rarotonga May 6, 2018 7:25 am

Originally Posted by bookeew (Post 29717128)
(and, as Austrians are, they like to fine tourists €90+ for having the wrong ticket).

And forum users that post such a BS should be fined by a few €1000!

Any person (tourist or not) will be fined, if he/her is travelling without a valid ticket. And be sure, if you're a tourist you will even have a little bonus that the ticket controllers close an eye and charge you only the fare difference without the fine!

Arctifox May 6, 2018 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga (Post 29721343)

Any person (tourist or not) will be fined, if he/her is travelling without a valid ticket. And be sure, if you're a tourist you will even have a little bonus that the ticket controllers close an eye and charge you only the fare difference without the fine!

I completely agree with that, everytime that I noticed a ticket inspection with a tourist where they haven't validated the ticket it was okay and they just validated it for them. Besides that, nowadays it's not that easy to get the wrong ticket, if you have a basic understanding of how a ticket machine works - tickets are usually already validated as you choose the train you want to take when buying the ticket.

bookeew May 6, 2018 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga (Post 29721343)

That is one hilarious reaction to my statement. I never said that they don't fine others without a valid ticket, just that my experience has been that there is no goodwill toward tourists. This is something someone needs to take into account if they are unfamiliar with ticket machines, public transport in a foreign country etc. I understand that rules are rules, and I certainly agree with that sentiment in the majority of cases, however, there are multiple reasons to not necessarily do that to visitors (particularly Vienna considering how screwed up the ticket machines in other languages are or were, see below). Personally, I was never fined but I also did not see a single tourist on easily a hundred S7 trips from the airport who was only asked to pay the fare difference without paying the fine. Every time, it was "you can't just pay the difference, we can't sell you a ticket, you need to pay the fine."

Originally Posted by Arctifox (Post 29721505)
I completely agree with that, everytime that I noticed a ticket inspection with a tourist where they haven't validated the ticket it was okay and they just validated it for them. Besides that, nowadays it's not that easy to get the wrong ticket, if you have a basic understanding of how a ticket machine works - tickets are usually already validated as you choose the train you want to take when buying the ticket.

For a validated ticket, that might be the case. For having the wrong ticket, certainly not. It might be difficult to get the wrong ticket if you are using the ticket machine in German, but it is not true for the variety of other languages it supports (at least the last time I used them), even worse if you don't speak it fluently and it does not support your native tongue. For example, if you buy a ticket from the "quick" main menu, you buy one for the city center (Kernzone Wien), which allows you to travel inside of Vienna, but you don't have a ticket to Vienna from the airport.

Regardless of all that, let's not derail the topic, which is about connecting in Vienna and not its public transportation.

Fraser May 7, 2018 9:05 am

Thank you for the information! Looks like I might want to switch my seat assignments...I'll have a look to try and figure out which version of the 767 I'm on.

I have taken the light rail into the city before so I guess I'll have to remember what I did last time.

Flying Lawyer May 7, 2018 8:59 pm

I would book a MyDriver limo in advance. It will take you to the place you want to go and the fare is comparable to two CAT tickets.

vbroucek May 8, 2018 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer (Post 29727833)
I would book a MyDriver limo in advance. It will take you to the place you want to go and the fare is comparable to two CAT tickets.

It's true, but if you multiply it by two (to city and back), the difference between that and S7 is really significant. And contrary to some claims above, it is nearly impossible to buy wrong ticket at the airport (last time I've been there, the default option was the correct one for VIE to city - and return if you wish so)… Many you safe can be used for many of culinary treats Vienna offers...

Fraser Jun 26, 2018 9:53 pm

Apologies for the bump...

Looking for a quick clarification before I fly tomorrow.

This post suggests I can access one of the non-Schengen lounges upon arrival and then leave to head into the city. Is that correct? I've only ever arrived at VIE on BA and that was a long time ago.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28286550-post8.html

Also any great differences between the two. non-Schengen lounges?

thanks!

davidcito Jun 28, 2018 7:30 am

Hi,
you can use either Lounge (Schengen, non-Schengen). I recommend to go to G Lounge (non-Schengen), as you would have to clear security on your way to the Schengen Lounge.
David

Viennafly Jun 28, 2018 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer (Post 29727833)

I agree with booking a MyDrive limo; I always Airportdriver (https://www.airportdriver.at/en): It is 33 EUR for up to 4 people. The driver waits for you with a sign in the arrivals hall after the baggage claim area. 5 min later you will be on your way to the city center and the drive does not take much longer than 30 min. The luggage storage (4 EUR per piece) of Vienna airport is in fact on the way to the garage where the Airportdriver cars are parked (Viennaairport - Baggage services). So you could ask your driver to wait a minute while depositing your luggage. You can ask to be dropped off anywhere within central Vienna. For your HKG flight at 5.50pm you can make a reservation to be picked up from a coffee house/restaurant at 3.00pm to be one the very safe side.