Wiki Posts
Search

EU 261 query - LH delay caused misconnectuon to UA flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR
The last poster is very optimistic and seems to forget that we are dealing with LH; LH rigorously denies claims for comp. (and I believe gets away with it). It will be very much uphill to get comp. for ATC delays. I wouldn't put my bet/money on the OP getting anything.
The problem is the sloppy drafting of the law itself. The text reads "if it can prove that the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken". Some court decisions assume that the "which could not have been avoided" only refer to "extraordinary" circumstances. If the "circumstances" do happen more than once in a blue moon, then they are no longer "extraordinary" and the airline cannot be excused. We saw cases like this when it came to technicals: The court held that a technical is not "extraordinary" but is the constant risk of airlines business so the airline cannot excuse itself. The same logic applied to ATC issues, an airline could never excuse itself for any ATC issues. This would however result in a liability regardless of negligence or fault. Coming from a jurisdiction that rarely imposes liability without negligence, I personally never understood the statute like this but understood the "which could not have been avoided" as a definition of "extraordinary circumstances". This can however be wrong.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
The problem is the sloppy drafting of the law itself. The text reads "if it can prove that the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken". Some court decisions assume that the "which could not have been avoided" only refer to "extraordinary" circumstances. If the "circumstances" do happen more than once in a blue moon, then they are no longer "extraordinary" and the airline cannot be excused. We saw cases like this when it came to technicals: The court held that a technical is not "extraordinary" but is the constant risk of airlines business so the airline cannot excuse itself. The same logic applied to ATC issues, an airline could never excuse itself for any ATC issues. This would however result in a liability regardless of negligence or fault. Coming from a jurisdiction that rarely imposes liability without negligence, I personally never understood the statute like this but understood the "which could not have been avoided" as a definition of "extraordinary circumstances". This can however be wrong.
Well oftentimes a technical "could be avoided" even if at an extreme cost of having a replacement aircraft and crew always ready at a moments notice.
On the other hand, things like weather can't be avoided even at the high cost, nor can ATC delays.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Well oftentimes a technical "could be avoided" even if at an extreme cost of having a replacement aircraft and crew always ready at a moments notice.
On the other hand, things like weather can't be avoided even at the high cost, nor can ATC delays.
I think it is still worth of try.

My case and explanation was: IF there was on same time at least 1 plane departing from the airport of departure and at least 1 plane landing on the destination airport, it is not "act of god" and I should get compensation. As it is normal risk for airline business that ATC will not allow to fly on required time.
What I got? 400€ as asked, wtihin 2 weeks.

My wife is lawyer and she once made a nice letter to airlines.
Specially nice is it with LO -- by my calculations I got from them within last 2 years more money than paid them.

Plus hotel, plus food.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
If the "circumstances" do happen more than once in a blue moon, then they are no longer "extraordinary" and the airline cannot be excused.

I think, that IS the point.
At least was in my cases.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
you have the same issues I had. The courts hold that technicals are not extraordinary but „ordinary“, meaning that they occur in the normal course of business. If so, however, it is not relevant whether it could be avoided. The same logic applied to ATC would also result in the assessment that ATC issues are not extraordinary, but appear to happen every day. I am not saying I like this but it’s at least arguable
Old May 1, 2018, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Just to update the final resolution on this ATC-induced misconnection at MUC.

LH Customer Support called and offered me the "duty of care" portion of EC261, which included the one-night hotel at an MUC airport hotel and transportation to and from airport. The CS agent said that he would provide feedback to airport agents regarding the rebooking issue.

Frankly, if the MUC SEN lounge agent (supervisor) was not stingy on rebooking my UA-business seat (upgraded with GPU on full Y fare) on the original booking class, LH would save this 200+ Euro compensation (in cash). My point is that LH did have business seats available on its own metal at that moment and should grab UA's GPU on my reservation to rebook me on business class on LH metal. Supposed that I originally booked on the same LH flight (full Y fare) with GPU, I should be eligible for a businss seat (provided upgrade space was available). LH agent should be able to open an upgrade space after irregular operation (due to the ATC delay of VIE-MUC flight).

In conclusion, I do not question the LH policy on rebooking on orignal booking class, but LH agents should have had exercised a little bit of flexibility on the execution of this policy. LH would save money and customer would be happier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.