Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

What is up with LH call centers? Flight cancelled [due to verdi strike]

What is up with LH call centers? Flight cancelled [due to verdi strike]

Old Apr 9, 18, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Angry What is up with LH call centers? Flight cancelled [due to verdi strike]

LH755 BLR-FRA canceled a couple of hours ago. No big deal - Plenty of rebooking options in J and F (original tix was in J). I have tried calling the India, US, UK, and Germany numbers and after 30 mins of waiting it just disconnects. Now the German number says "We have a huge number of calls, call back later".

So, I just booked a one way home on KL and will need to deal with thre refund on the backend. Is this normal LH beahviour or is there some sort of IT glitch happening today?

TFD
Old Apr 9, 18, 6:36 am

Yes I'm pretty sure there is. I tried to add a booking on LH.com and its failing.

No doubt any associated delays are completely extraordinary though .
Old Apr 9, 18, 6:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just be certain that the new ticket you purchase does not exceed the value of the refund you anticipate from LH. It is unlikely that LH will pay anything more than the refund and compensation for the cancellation if that is due.
Old Apr 9, 18, 6:48 am

German airport workers (not LH employees) represented by the union Verdi announced a strike for tomorrow (10th April), with Frankfurt expected to be significantly impacted. I guess many people are changing their flights at the moment.
Old Apr 9, 18, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Just be certain that the new ticket you purchase does not exceed the value of the refund you anticipate from LH. It is unlikely that LH will pay anything more than the refund and compensation for the cancellation if that is due.
Yes - Definitely good advice. Well I scored a J ticket on KL for INR61k (about $950) which is a hell of a deal. My ticket on LH was $6k so I should be good. We'll see what happens - I just want to get home.

TFD
Old Apr 9, 18, 7:38 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Same problem here: not possible to get a hold of someone on the phone, website timing out.
I need to buy luggage for an Eco Light booking, link from the boarding pass goes to a "403 forbidden"... what a mess, shame on LH IT (again).
Old Apr 9, 18, 8:26 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
LH canceled over 800 flights on tuesday do to strikes of the Fraport staff. So no wonder the website and call centers are hard to reach. For the website it is shameful that in the time of cloud computing and auto-scaling LH IT is not able to keep it stable. For the call center there not much they can do.
Old Apr 9, 18, 9:16 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
If the XLD was caused by the Verdi strike tomorrow no cancellation comp. is due - certainly extraordinary circumstances.
Old Apr 9, 18, 10:38 am
DTS

Programs: LH FTL, AS MVP, IHG Plat
They cancelled today's SEA-FRA, and tomorrow's FRA-SEA, SEA-FRA for tomorrow is showing as operating regularly. Curious if this will have an effect until later this week, since this route is usually relatively busy.

FRA, MUC, CGN, and BRE are the airports where strikes are taking place. Take this into account when you are asking for a re-booking. If you are asking for a re-booking, it needs to go to/via a different airport, if you need to get to one of those cities, ask for being re-booked on a flight that takes you close to it, and then take the train (Deutsche Bahn, will likely be busy tomorrow) or a rental.

Anybody needing to go to Cologne or surroundings should ask to be re-booked to DUS (very close to anything that is close to CGN).
Old Apr 9, 18, 11:18 am

I have been trying to get a hold of Lufthansa for the last several hours for help re-booking a flight...no luck. Very frustrating; the US line just generally won't connect, and then once I finally did get through, was on hold for 20 minutes and then just got disconnected. Of course the online booking options aren't working either
I would just re-book another ticket, but they are 5x the price now of my one-way (with less than days notice)...
Old Apr 9, 18, 11:32 am
DTS

Programs: LH FTL, AS MVP, IHG Plat
I truly believe that showing up personally at a ticketing counter at this point will be less hassle than trying to manage this via phone. German news report 90,000 passengers being affected, which I believe is too low of an estimate, given the fact that they're cancelling 800 flights.
Old Apr 9, 18, 1:45 pm

I've been trying to book a flight to GLA for the past few hours and I can't get beyond a 404, that, or a Captcha.
Old Apr 9, 18, 8:32 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by DTS View Post
They cancelled today's SEA-FRA, and tomorrow's FRA-SEA, SEA-FRA for tomorrow is showing as operating regularly. Curious if this will have an effect until later this week, since this route is usually relatively busy.

FRA, MUC, CGN, and BRE are the airports where strikes are taking place. Take this into account when you are asking for a re-booking. If you are asking for a re-booking, it needs to go to/via a different airport, if you need to get to one of those cities, ask for being re-booked on a flight that takes you close to it, and then take the train (Deutsche Bahn, will likely be busy tomorrow) or a rental.

Anybody needing to go to Cologne or surroundings should ask to be re-booked to DUS (very close to anything that is close to CGN).
401 was cancelled today and 400 is cancelled tomorrow - a lot of people to reacccomodate on an A380
Old Apr 10, 18, 1:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
If your flight is cancelled as a result of this industrial action are you entitled to any compensation?
Old Apr 10, 18, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by Infinite1K View Post
If your flight is cancelled as a result of this industrial action are you entitled to any compensation?
Not EC261. Strikes are excluded. But duty of care still applies.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: