Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa FCT and Checked Bags all the way thru?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2018, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Lufthansa FCT and Checked Bags all the way thru?

Hi all..there is no question we have access to the FCT, we will be travelling in First class from states to Italy via Frankfurt (and on return), but since they do not drive you to the terminal when you land, we will have to walk over to the FCT.

However, what if we check our bags 'all the way through' to our final destination. Will there be an issue when we show up at the first class terminal and they ask us if we have any checked bags? Or is the optimal strategy to check bags only to frankfurt, and then RE-check them at the FCT when you get there?

Anyone have any experience checking their bags all the way through to their final destination and still departing the arrival terminal and walking over to the first class terminal?? I didn't see this covered in the main thread.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by cdf2108
However, what if we check our bags 'all the way through' to our final destination.
Your bags will be loaded onto the plane just like they would if you didn't visit the FCT.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lack
Your bags will be loaded onto the plane just like they would if you didn't visit the FCT.
have you personally tried this though? I'm not worried about the bags as much as the immigration or security issue of exiting immigration without bags and then rechecking in at the terminal with our bags already spoken for. Sounds like something that would throw off the terminal agents, no?
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, LH SEN, Mariott Titanium
Done this plenty of times. Check all the way through and walk to FCT.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,

have you personally tried this though? I'm not worried about the bags as much as the immigration or security issue of exiting immigration without bags and then rechecking in at the terminal with our bags already spoken for. Sounds like something that would throw off the terminal agents, no?
In most cases, it is normal practice to check bags through and not have to worry about them until your final destination. The FCT staff would actually seriously wonder why, if transferring, you would choose to pick up your bags in FRA and then walk over with them to FCT... if you really want to go to the FCT and pick up bags in FRA, you can check them at an F C/I desk in the main terminal before walking to the FCT without your bags, but really even this is not necessary.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:40 pm

I also have done it many times. Just walk over to the FCT and show your boarding pass. They likely also want to see the inbound pass in case you continue in a lower class.
Immigration does not care about bags, customs will just check what you have with you (most of the time you just walk thru).
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:24 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
When traveling to Europe, your bags are always checked through to your final destination and you don't have to pick them up at intermediate destinations. Custom clearance (for your checked luggage) will be at the final destination.

In fact, some airlines have started not to allow you to pick up your luggage at intermediate destinations (or at least make it very hard) out of fear that you could drop the last leg and cause them financial harm (by not having paid the higher fare to the intermediate destination).

This is different from the States and many other countries, where you have to pick up your bags at the first airport, get them through customs and re-check them again. In most countries you only have to do this when connecting domestically with the odd exception of the USA, where you have to do this even if you connect internationally, making the USA a very inconvenient intermediate stop for international transfers.

HTB.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
The norm is for bags to be checked through, otherwise your ‘short checking ‘

Just show the PA at FCT the bag tag & they check your bags are loaded to your connecting flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.