Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booted out of Online Check-In Seats, Now Flight Showing as Oversold

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Booted out of Online Check-In Seats, Now Flight Showing as Oversold

Have a really bizarre situation going on. Last night I went online at T-23 to check in for flights and choose seats. Then I realized we are flying on 2 passports, so I decided not to complete the check in process. But I realized I could still select seats and save them without actually checking in. So I did that.

This morning, I wake-up and check to see if there are better seats available. I am met with a screen telling me the long haul segment (SFO-MUC) is oversold, and that only 1 of the 2 passengers can select their seat. My seat assignment was moved to the back of the plane, and my companion now doesn't have a seat assignment and I can't change either. I tried logging in the app and on a browser, and the result is the same.

Any suggestions on what to do? The flight doesn't look oversold to me, but even so, we had chosen our seats and I'm *G, so why should we be booted? Tried messaging them on FB to no avail.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
How about calling them?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by worldclubber
How about calling them?
Well my hope was someone might know a solution that doesn't involve sitting on the phone for 30+ minutes. Which I just did, to no avail.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by zeer0
Well my hope was someone might know a solution that doesn't involve sitting on the phone for 30+ minutes. Which I just did, to no avail.
Unfortunately, there is no solution.

Let us know how the story continues...
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:22 am

You didn't make a seat reservation or complete online check-in, so you never had that emergency exit seat! You were not booted out of these seats.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:16 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
The flight doesn't look oversold to me, but even so, we had chosen our seats and I'm *G, so why should we be booted? Tried messaging them on FB to no avail.
There have been reports (and I have experienced the same) that your seat only remains your seat until someone else picks it if you start checking in and abort the check-in process.

HTB.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: LH FTL
Happened to me too , apparently without finishing the check-in process properly (and issuing a boarding pass) ,you don't have the seats saved ..
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:48 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by fanb
Happened to me too , apparently without finishing the check-in process properly (and issuing a boarding pass) ,you don't have the seats saved ..
It's saved alright -- when I started the check-in process again, the previously selected seat was always there. Until it wasn't any more and I was assigned a different seat. I don't think that happens if you just select a seat prior and never start the online check-in.

HTB.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
I think this is exactly the point. If you select a seat prior to check-in (with status of by paying for it) your seat is properly assigned in the system. If you check-in online but do not complete the process, your seat is assigned as long as no one else selects it. Only if you complete the check-in process the seat is properly assigned to you (but of course airline staff can still overwrite and issue a new BP at the gate).
zeer0 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Turns out the flight was overbooked, offered $1600 to fly the next day, which we painfully had to turn down because of firm plans. Seats got screwed up but I guess they blocked some of the bulkheads for the airport so we ended up with decent seats on the longhaul which is all that really mattered.

Still not sure why I would be able to continue online check in online but my companion could not. Not impressive IT.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by totti
I think this is exactly the point. If you select a seat prior to check-in (with status of by paying for it) your seat is properly assigned in the system. If you check-in online but do not complete the process, your seat is assigned as long as no one else selects it. Only if you complete the check-in process the seat is properly assigned to you (but of course airline staff can still overwrite and issue a new BP at the gate).
Which would explain why the exit row seats I chose for our connecting flight stayed the same, as it was a near empty flight.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Turns out the flight was overbooked, offered $1600 to fly the next day,..
Wow, was that USD 1,600 per person or 1,600 was the total amount for 2 persons (i.e. USD 800 each)?

If USD 1,600 per person I would consider it a very generous offer and would have jumped at it immidiately if my plans permitted it.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Wow, was that USD 1,600 per person or 1,600 was the total amount for 2 persons (i.e. USD 800 each)?

If USD 1,600 per person I would consider it a very generous offer and would have jumped at it immidiately if my plans permitted it.
800 each. We would've taken it if not for firm plans. I would've had an immediate use
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Nevertheless USD 800 is very reasonable for taking the flight the following day; I'm sure LH would have provided hotel as well if neccessary.
zeer0 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.