Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is F worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris63

Good that you can find dates that work for you, LX F is excellent & so are the lounges, enjoy 😉
No lounge use as the connections are just one hour. Is one hour sufficient time to transfer at ZRH? I presume it's fine.
Actually prefer not waiting around.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by dsched
No lounge use as the connections are just one hour. Is one hour sufficient time to transfer at ZRH? I presume it's fine.
1 hour is tight but doable. But you will miss out on the great lounge in ZRH, which is for many part of the F-experience.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldclubber
1 hour is tight but doable. But you will miss out on the great lounge in ZRH, which is for many part of the F-experience.
That's a pity then. There's an alternative flight first thing but then it's an 11 hour stay. Might actually not mind that on the way out and go into Zurich.
Prefer the one hour turnaround coming home though.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Yes, it’s fine ZRH is a gear airport to connect but, the big difference is your in F, so late arrival will get you a direct transfer.
LX are also promising limousine transfers from A, B & D gates to the E longhaul gates by the Summer so your transfer experience should also be First Class.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it’s tight but in F he should be getting the promised direct transfers by September & if he missed he would get rebooked in F , maybe SQ the next Morning which in itself would not be so terrible 😁

Agree with you that the lounges are part of the F experience but not many connections from MAN only 2 flights a day 🙁
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Yeah my plan now is definitly do the lounge. So early morning flight from MAN and get the full experience. Maybe go into the city as well
Next problem ... The connection from my FR flight in MAN is only one hour! And if I miss my Swiss flight my trip is doomed. Potentially for my own sanity I'd spend the night before in man airport.

Really looking forward to this now. Just read some reviews of the Swiss E lounge and looks amazing. Plus they have an arrivals lounge on the way back.

I'm just waiting for a payment to clear on my credit card before i can proceed.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:00 am

Yes, it’s tight but in F he should be getting the promised direct transfers by September & if he missed he would get rebooked in F , maybe SQ the next Morning which in itself would not be so terrible 😁

Agree with you that the lounges are part of the F experience but not many connections from MAN only 2 flights a day 🙁
Since the OP seemed to aim for the experience more than the pure transport from DUB to SIN on a particularly day, it would have seemed more logical to me to go to ZRH a bit earlier and enjoy a bit of time there than to go on a very tight connection and risk having to wait a whole night in ZRH. But each to his own.
chris63 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Fraser
Percentage wise for those earning $2m a year the difference between a $3000 fare and a $8000 fare is the same as someone making $200,000/yr debating between a $300 fare and $800 fare.
You miss out on an important piece of information. How much were they making before?
If the person earning $2m was making $5m before, and the person making $200k was making $100k before, it is a completely different story.

The other point is: I don't think you earn $2m a year, so you probably shouldn't speak for those who do. Jan Koum should be flying only private jets, right? Because for him a million dollar fare is like you and I pay $5 to fly.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:07 am

Yeah my plan now is definitly do the lounge. So early morning flight from MAN and get the full experience. Maybe go into the city as well
Next problem ... The connection from my FR flight in MAN is only one hour! And if I miss my Swiss flight my trip is doomed. Potentially for my own sanity I'd spend the night before in man airport.

Really looking forward to this now. Just read some reviews of the Swiss E lounge and looks amazing. Plus they have an arrivals lounge on the way back.

I'm just waiting for a payment to clear on my credit card before i can proceed.
Good choice!

I would definitely not recommend the 1-hour-connection at MAN on two separate tickets.

In ZRH: Forget about the arrivals lounge, if you have FCL access.
chris63 and dsched like this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
It all depends how you value money vs. a better experience.

And it depends a lot on the airline:
LH has a pretty lousy J and a great F.
AF has a pretty good J and a very good F.
LH has a great F (other than the A340) and a mediocre J (small seats, no aisle access from every seat).
AA has a lousy F and an average J

The answer might be very different in LH ccompared to AF.
So to venture a guess which LH is Lufthansa and which is LX. I guess the first LH is LX, and second is LH.

Originally Posted by Moootz
I did F on LH once and wouldn't do it again.
I think it's hyped. The main reason I would book F is the increased privacy. While most carriers (EY, SQ, QR, etc.) really try to make your own space, that's not really the case with LH. Starting from the crowded First-Class Terminal over the awkward Face to Face Bus Transport to the plane to no privacy at all during the flight due to the lack of proper dividers. On the bright side, they have Urinals in the Bathrooms on the A380.
I haven't experienced the "crowded" first class terminal. Plus, you get a private car to the plane? Did you go to another FCT?
I thought people like first-class for the service, not privacy.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
So to venture a guess which LH is Lufthansa and which is LX. I guess the first LH is LX, and second is LH.

I haven't experienced the "crowded" first class terminal. Plus, you get a private car to the plane? Did you go to another FCT?
I thought people like first-class for the service, not privacy.
You don't necessarily get a private car. If most of the cabin is at the FCT you will get a shared van. Or if it is you and one other person you will be in the same car. AF, on the other hand, is always a private car. My first time flying FRA-ORD in F two years ago, 6/8 of us were at the FCT and we were all driven in a shared Mercedes van. And yes in that van some of the seats face each other. So that is likely the experience the OP here had.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
You don't necessarily get a private car. If most of the cabin is at the FCT you will get a shared van. Or if it is you and one other person you will be in the same car. AF, on the other hand, is always a private car. My first time flying FRA-ORD in F two years ago, 6/8 of us were at the FCT and we were all driven in a shared Mercedes van. And yes in that van some of the seats face each other. So that is likely the experience the OP here had.
I doubt they put 6 of you in one van, as they have only 4 seats in the back. And yes, the seats face each other but the distance is decent. Is facing another human on a two-minute ride to the plane really a problem?

Most complaints, at least in my impression, are due to some people expecting a Porsche and getting a Mercedes van. I actually prefer the vans as they are really comfy.
chris63 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt they put 6 of you in one van, as they have only 4 seats in the back. And yes, the seats face each other but the distance is decent. Is facing another human on a two-minute ride to the plane really a problem?

Most complaints, at least in my impression, are due to some people expecting a Porsche and getting a Mercedes van. I actually prefer the vans as they are really comfy.
Exactly, we are talking about the Luxury version of the Vito, it’s a larger limousine, 4 very comfortable seats & lots of space, when I was travelling with my Family, 5 of us, we were all accommodated, one upfront with the driver.
Indeed one would hope a couple of minutes with another F pax isnt troubling .

To be driven in anything to the plane is special & the FCT offers an all round 5* experience.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:53 am
Original Poster

To be driven in anything to the plane is special & the FCT offers an all round 5* experience.
It's a bit bold of me asking in this thread, but to Chris and Worldclubber, in ZRH is the best lounge the E one? I believe that's where i would be leaving from.
And also, arriving from MAN with a 11 hour connection, can I "connect" into the E lounge, freshen up etc and then leave it and the airport, go into town, then come back in the evening, check in again and use the lounge before departure? This sounds really naughty so not sure if I should.
I planned on checking all my bags so I don't have them with me going into town. Thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:21 am

It's a bit bold of me asking in this thread, but to Chris and Worldclubber, in ZRH is the best lounge the E one? I believe that's where i would be leaving from.
And also, arriving from MAN with a 11 hour connection, can I "connect" into the E lounge, freshen up etc and then leave it and the airport, go into town, then come back in the evening, check in again and use the lounge before departure? This sounds really naughty so not sure if I should.
I planned on checking all my bags so I don't have them with me going into town. Thanks.
Are you connecting to an E flight? You shouldn't have a problem (aside from clearing security) getting to the E lounges twice.
Slightly easier would be just go to the new A gates lounge on arrival and then E in the evening before departure.
worldclubber likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.