FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Travel with a bicycle on Austrian, Lufthansa or Brussels (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1901521-travel-bicycle-austrian-lufthansa-brussels.html)

Chanticleer Jul 24, 2006 9:18 am

Travel with a bicycle on Austrian, Lufthansa or Brussels

Hey Everyone:

I am going to Frankfurt for an extended stay in September and would like to bring my bike (and leave it). I looked on the LH website and it says I will need to reserve ahead of time, but I wanted to get some experience here beforehand. Has anyone here done this, and are there any large drawbacks?

I would just mail it, but I read that a typical mountainbike box is too large for international mailing. Anyone have any good ideas?

Thank you.

roundtheworld Jul 24, 2006 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Chanticleer
Hey Everyone:

I am going to Frankfurt for an extended stay in September and would like to bring my bike (and leave it). I looked on the LH website and it says I will need to reserve ahead of time, but I wanted to get some experience here beforehand. Has anyone here done this, and are there any large drawbacks?

I would just mail it, but I read that a typical mountainbike box is too large for international mailing. Anyone have any good ideas?

Thank you.

I travel 80% of the time with my race bike. I have a proper suitcase for it which of course is oversize. The "official" charge is USD50 (or is it now 80) for the tranport all the way. (each way).

Never happend anything. But the TSA are jerks (sorry for the expression. They have never managed to close the suitcase properly...

Anyway, so far nothing has happened ...

I haven't paid hte fee in years. As on the US route they usually count it as one luaggage (so if you are UA Gold) then they usually do not hassle you. I actually never have put it into my booking, but put it in to be safe (especially if travelling in Y

totti Jul 24, 2006 9:42 am

I am not that experienced than roundtheworld but the few times I took a bike with me, I never had a problem. I always used a suitcase as well and everthing went fine. Never had to pay a fee ^

Cheers
totti

BoneMarrowCourier Jul 24, 2006 3:30 pm

Almost eleven years ago, I did a cycling trip throughout Canada. - man, I want to do that again, 4900 km in 70 days - We flew with AC back then in 1995.
At this time, there was a baggage allowance of two pieces and 64 kg. AC was fine with it as longe those limits were met.
We just had to deflate the tires, remove the pedals and set the handlebars straight. We didn't even had to pack them in a special way, a GA (@ FRA) came to handle it as bulk luggage.

FoxPro May 24, 2007 2:37 am

Bicycle check-in FRA?

My son and me want to take two bicycles (road bikes) on our next flight FRA-SYD with Singapore Airlines. We are both LH SENs and check-in should be handled by Lufthansa.
What is the best option? Pre-pack the bikes in specialized oversized bike cases or trust that we'll get bike boxes at the airport? Will LH take them as sporting equipment and/or count them toward our regular luggage allowances. Does SEN status help us here? Any experiences or problems?

SmilingBoy May 24, 2007 3:15 am

I am not certain on SQ, but on other airlines, it just counts towards your weight allowance. I don't think it is necessary to pack your bike, just remove pedals and twist the handle bar so it is aligned with the frame. And open the valves on the wheels so there is no more pressure in the wheels.

So, SEN helps in the sense that it gives you an extra 20 kg weight allowance.

But are you sure that check-in is with LH?

SmilingBoy.

tcswede May 24, 2007 5:23 am

Originally Posted by FoxPro (Post 7790404)
My son and me want to take two bicycles (road bikes) on our next flight FRA-SYD with Singapore Airlines. We are both LH SENs and check-in should be handled by Lufthansa.
What is the best option? Pre-pack the bikes in specialized oversized bike cases or trust that we'll get bike boxes at the airport? Will LH take them as sporting equipment and/or count them toward our regular luggage allowances. Does SEN status help us here? Any experiences or problems?

SQ has their own Check In @ FRA.

As for bikes - I have had a roadbike - albeight boxed and it counted as one piece - or as weight towards overall allowance depending on applicable luggage concept. SEN will not help - only any possible additional allowance as *Gold.

Cheers

Thomas

FoxPro May 24, 2007 6:24 am

Thanks for your replies guys. You are right as always.
I called SQ Frankfurt to confirm that LH SENs get 20kg extra and that SQ has their own check-in. (Before we always had a LH feeder flight to FRA so that I wasn't sure about FRA itself). The bikes have to arrive at the airport pre-packed which is fine as I was already considering getting some hard shell bike boxes. Bike and box will be less than 20kg. All sorted.

Btw, it was really great to talk to the utmost friendly and patient german speaking staff on the mere motals SQ line. Definetly a notch above the LH SEN treatment.

SmilingBoy May 24, 2007 6:37 am

just checked:

On LH, a bike doesn't count in the regular allowance, you have to pay extra, even if you are not otherwise checking anything:

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...nodeid=1769640

Amazing.

SmilingBoy.

roundtheworld May 24, 2007 7:58 am

I am actually glad a bike doesn't count towards the allowance ...

When I pack my bike for a race the case including equipment is easily 35kg.... and for that i am happy to py USD100 as a charge.

BTW SEN card can help, as sometimes they are way too busy to send oyu to the ticket counter to pay the fare.

One trick is to have a connection flight LH from DUs or so. Then often the connecting airlines does not collect the fee, as the long haul is someone else's flight

FlightLevel300 May 12, 2009 7:08 pm

Bicycle and baggage regulations [was: Cost to bring bike on SFO-CPH]

I was wondering what LH charges for a bike and its policy is for checking a bike (in a case of course) on my next months flight from SFO to CPH. Both segments are LH metal. I'm a *G.

Thanks

volta May 12, 2009 9:53 pm

If it is below 50 pounds, it is just another piece of luggage. I transport my bicycle on planes and never paid any extra luggage charge. Im using soft shell bag, as they are lighter.

Lack May 13, 2009 4:37 am

Originally Posted by volta (Post 11739636)
If it is below 50 pounds, it is just another piece of luggage. I transport my bicycle on planes and never paid any extra luggage charge. Im using soft shell bag, as they are lighter.

What about the size limitation?
By the way, can you give some product info on the bag?

totti May 13, 2009 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Lack (Post 11740597)
What about the size limitation?

If you check it in as a normal bag with piece concept the max. dimension is 158cm (h x w x l). At least from my experience they are not too strict about the dimensions.

Details can be found in the complete baggage regulation thread. Just search for 'bike'!

BTW: volta where do you derive the 50lb from? If the OP flies C or F it's 70lb.

silversurfer May 13, 2009 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by totti (Post 11742724)
If you check it in as a normal bag with piece concept the max. dimension is 158cm (h x w x l). At least from my experience they are not too strict about the dimensions.

Details can be found in the complete baggage regulation thread. Just search for 'bike'!

BTW: volta where do you derive the 50lb from? If the OP flies C or F it's 70lb.

from lh.com: (http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...8002#ancN65836)

Medium
15-32 kg and/or 1.41 - 2 m
Excluding free baggage allowance
Europe-Intercontinental
EUR 150 USD/CAD 200 USD/CAD 250
Bicycles, tandems
Diving equipment with tank
Pole vaulting poles
Surf boards

How much baggage am I allowed to take free of charge?

Lufthansa transports a certain amount of checked in baggage (free baggage allowance) and hand baggage free of charge. These amounts may vary depending on the route, booking class, Miles & More status etc. You will find more back-ground information on our Free baggage allowance and Carry-on baggage pages.

What happens with excess baggage or special baggage?
If you exceed the free baggage allowance or if you take along particularly bulky or damageable baggage (bicycles, surf and snowboards, skis, large musical instruments, wardrobe trunks etc.) you may have to pay an additional fee and register your baggage with us prior to your departure. Please check on our page Excess and special baggage.