Travel with a bicycle on Austrian, Lufthansa or Brussels

Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:27 am

I took a MTB on MOW x/FRA DUB with LH couple of years ago. It wasn't packed in a box or a bag, just frame/fork/suspension wrapped with some rag and cardboard - and rolled to check in. I find it better that way, as baggage handlers can very clearly see its a bicycle - and can also roll it which I guess makes it easier for them Or maybe not.. In any case it is a pretty beaten up downhill bike, so I didn't care about scratches etc.
I had to pay 50 EUR or so charge. Bike arrived together with the rest of the luggage despite tight connection.

About 8 or so years ago I packed the bike in a bike bag and managed to convince OS check in agents its not a complete bike, but bike parts. Took a bit of persuasion, but then I didn't need to pay the fee.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Welcome to FT and the M&M forum ddartt.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:30 pm

Travel with a bicycle on Swiss, Lufthansa or Brussels

I'll fly from Vienna to Porto in a few weeks. Right now I've two options, fly VIE - BRU - OPO - BRU - VIE with brussels or fly VIE - GVE - OPO - ZRH - VIE with Swiss/Austrian. The price is pretty much the same and schedules are both suitable to me (in the end brussels is slightly cheaper and the schedule is slightly better but no big deal). I'm not planning on booking checked in luggage so I will take their cheapest ticket options.

On the way back from Porto to Vienna I want to bring a bicycle with me. Both options are on A319/A320 on the return flights - so I guess no issue here to bring a bicycle inside.
While Swiss says
We are happy to transport your sports equipment subject to no extra charge, provided that you do not exceed your baggage allowance.
, on the other hand Brussels says
If your sports equipment doesn't fit in the overhead compartment or the seat in front of you, it has to be transported in the hold (width + height + depth max 158 cm).
and Austrian says
Sports baggage is carried without a surcharge as long as the baggage allowance shown on your ticket is not exceeded either in terms of the number of items or weight.
What I understand here is that size matters to Brussels and for Swiss/Austrian size does not matter, only weight.

The bicycle size is not within the limits of Brussels. The weight is within the limits of all 3. So I believe Swiss and Austrian is the best option here.

Then, they all mention that it is free if "not exceed your baggage allowance.".

Questions:
1- Does this mean if I choose Economy Classic (with free checked in luggage) I can bring my bike at no extra costs or do I always have to pay the 50€ fee regardless of my economy ticket option?
2- If I have to pay the 50€ fee, it is 50€ per flight (in this case 50€ OPO ZRH + 50€ ZRH VIE) or 50€ per trip (OPO -> VIE) ?

I would really appreciate some help from fellow traveler with experience bringing bicycles with them on Lufthansa group.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:59 am

its kinda ironic that I was the last one posting here, but now I have question about bicycles and LH (well LX in my case).
I received conflicting info from Swiss support team in Facebook and SEN helpline.
I will be taking 2 bicycles with me on a flight from ZRH to DME. I have SEN status and I purchased a Classic fare.
The Swiss support team on FB told me the bicycles go completely separate to my baggage allowance, i.e. each needs to be paid for (90 CHF or so).
When I called SEN line to reserve the spaces for bicycles, they told me bicycle will actually be part of my baggage allowance. So if I take 2 bicycles and nothing else I don't need to pay anything at all (since SEN allowed 2 checked in bags). If I also have a checked bag I will need to pay extra for 1 bicycle.
Anyone happens to know which information is actually the correct one?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Call the Swiss SEN hotline in Basel. They will know. The generic SEN hotline is LH staff who are well versed in LH policy.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: Miles and More
Most significant carrier question

I'm flying to Brisbane from Luxembourg for work and plan to take a bike. I've got a load of mixed messages about what the baggage limits are. The bike bag is under 23kg and the flights are:

Lux -> Fra - Lufthansa operated by Air Nostrum
Fra -> Sin - Lufthansa operated by Singapore Airlines
Sin -> Bne - Singapore airlines

Who, exactly is my MSC and does it matter if the bag is under 23kg?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
MSC is clearly SQ and it matters if the bike bag is under 23kg if SQ says it matters.

What they say is it should be free if within your baggage allowance and can't be over 32kg.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
MSC is clearly SQ and it matters if the bike bag is under 23kg if SQ says it matters.

What they say is it should be free if within your baggage allowance and can't be over 32kg.
That's the rub, SQ are telling me I get 23kg full stop. I have no issue taking a small suitcase to make up the extra 9kg (as I've done before) but they're saying in emails to me that it's the LH baggage limit that counts, not theirs, despite their code being on the biggest sections of flights in total.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:45 pm

Just to report back on Swiss experience - indeed for SEN on Classic fare its either 2 bikes free of charge, or if you also have another checked bag, you need to pay for 1 of the bicycles. They insisted on boxes, but didn't mind them being slightly over the limit (24-25 kg each when limit is 23). The box alone is 4 kg though. Very important to book ahead, as they reminded me multiple times, and also mentioned each aircraft only has 2 spots for bicycles. Not sure how true or not it is....
I have to warn anyone flying with bikes from Zurich, their have utterly idiotic luggage carts with a belt that prevents bicycle boxes to fit on it. We had to carry the boxes from the car park which was a bit logistically challenging since we were only 2 people, but needed to somehow transport 2 boxes. Needless to say my female friend wasn't particularly thrilled about carrying the box with me when all she signed for was to just help out a bit and stay with the boxes if needed....
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:01 am

To answer my two questions:
1- You have to pay 50€ fee regardless of the ticket option (economy at least)
2- It is 50€ per ticket. If you have a ticket with a stopover (e.g. OPO-LIS-VIE) it is 50€, if you have a direct flight it is 50€. 1 ticket = one fee payment.

FYI: Same rules with TAP Air Portugal
malmostoso likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: THY Elite Plus, Aegean Gold, LH FTL. Former BA Gold, Air France Platinum, Czech Gold, United PE.
I have never ever had to pay for cycle carriage with Lufthansa, Swiss or Austrian using an Economy Classic fare. As long as the cycle is normal sized (i.e. not a tandem) and weighs less than 23kg, there is no issue with dimensions. The cycle counts as one item of baggage and, unless you have status allowing an additional item, nothing else can be checked in free of charge. Lufthansa is the most liberal airline with regard to cycles as they allow you to carry a bike unboxed and unwrapped. I do this several times a year and my bike has never been damaged. When boxed, airlines will often load heavy suitcases on top of the cycle box. Unfortunately, airline staff often do not know the LH rules and you need to go to check-in armed with a print-out of the cycle carriage regulations.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA SILVER
Originally Posted by johnirvine
I have never ever had to pay for cycle carriage with Lufthansa, Swiss or Austrian using an Economy Classic fare. As long as the cycle is normal sized (i.e. not a tandem) and weighs less than 23kg, there is no issue with dimensions. The cycle counts as one item of baggage and, unless you have status allowing an additional item, nothing else can be checked in free of charge. Lufthansa is the most liberal airline with regard to cycles as they allow you to carry a bike unboxed and unwrapped. I do this several times a year and my bike has never been damaged. When boxed, airlines will often load heavy suitcases on top of the cycle box. Unfortunately, airline staff often do not know the LH rules and you need to go to check-in armed with a print-out of the cycle carriage regulations.
I agree, my last trip with a bicycle was MUC-ORD and back over the Christmas holidays last month. No extra charge as my luggage allowance covered the total number of bags I was flying with. Since a couple of years now Lufthansa treats bicycles the same as regular luggage, no extra fee provided your piece count allowance is sufficient to include the bike.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: THY Elite Plus, Aegean Gold, LH FTL. Former BA Gold, Air France Platinum, Czech Gold, United PE.
The Lufthansa policy on bicycles has unfortunately changed. For carriage, cycles definitely now have to be packed. This morning, I was offloaded from a TXL-FRA-BOM itinerary even though I agreed to sign a full liability waiver for damage to my bicycle. Fortunately, and to their great credit, LH rebooked me on the same flights tomorrow despite the fact I was travelling on a non-changeable Y/N fate. There is still no charge for cycles as long as they are within your permitted weight limit
Old Jan 17, 2021, 4:12 am

Adding bike to award flight

Optimistically I'm starting to use my miles for award bookings for this year. What's the best way to add a bike to a booking, post-booking on the phone or just do the whole booking on the phone?
Old Jan 17, 2021, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by meiji
Optimistically I'm starting to use my miles for award bookings for this year. What's the best way to add a bike to a booking, post-booking on the phone or just do the whole booking on the phone?
I normally do it post booking on the phone and have never had a problem. But do not just turn up at the airport without informing the airline in advance, especially OS or if you do not have *G status. Boxing the bike is now imperative.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.