Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel with a bicycle on Austrian, Lufthansa or Brussels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:00 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Is not clear if this charges are one-way or return.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:49 am

It depends on the size as well, most big bags, boxes or cases will exceed the maximum size for a luggage piece, even if not being over the weight limit.

I've only transported my bike with UA (with LH doing the feeders), and I've just packed the wheels in dedicated case and disassembled the case to fit in the size requirements.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:11 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
charges are one-way imho.
Have yet to come across a hard case that is below the limits for a suitcase (size-wise). InfiniteCycle, what case were you using?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:12 am

It was a B&W one - http://bike-cases.co.uk/product-bike....tSn97vsh.dpbs at that time. I used it on around 10 flights, before Lufthansa broke the handles off. Bike was fine though. LH gave me the value of the case though (I quoted MSRP at them, which they adjusted for 'depreciation' - but I bought it trade as am bicycle industry, so got more than it would cost me to replace).

I then purchased a Polaris - and have only used it with Jet2 and BA. Like I said, BA count the box as part of my luggage allowance. They also have one of the most generous luggage policies of any carrier. If you have OW sapphire or above you get an extra piece of luggage in any class on top of the standard 23kg, and the max weight per piece increases to 32kg. So, any ticket effectively gets 2 x 32kg + hand baggage. Here is the box.

http://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-...FXQftAod804AUA
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:05 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
InfiniteCycle, seems you we're lucky to be able to convince LH that these boxes should be regarded as a normal suitcase, they both are quite a lot above the 158cm max. dimensions total (L+ W+H), so they're not a suitcase, whatever their weight.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:30 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
The complete baggage regulation can be found here.

This is the "smallest" bike hard-case I am aware of (with just 200cm) but it is still above the max. allowance of 158cm. You may have a chance to check it at no additional charges. At least a colleague of mine was able to.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Ghentleman
InfiniteCycle, seems you we're lucky to be able to convince LH that these boxes should be regarded as a normal suitcase, they both are quite a lot above the 158cm max. dimensions total (L+ W+H), so they're not a suitcase, whatever their weight.
I know. It was only a shorthaul flight though. I had to get the supervisor and argue it.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:28 pm

Thanks, I read it online but doesn't really say it has to be packaged up. I do plan on calling t.o office
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ghentleman
I vote against hard case, use a cardboard box instead. Read what John Watson has to say: http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2013/...ith-a-bicycle/
Might look into this, I can't afford a bike suitcase especially since I will be bringing it this once. Seems like a waste. Bike is worth $800.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
Is not clear if this charges are one-way or return.
Oneway.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:54 am

We're going to South Africa (from London) via Frankfurt on Lufthansa and I want to take my bike. LH's fee is steep but we got the tickets cheap so I'm justifying it that way. Hiring a bike would be ideal but there does not seem to be companies doing that sort of thing in SA.

Anyone recently had experience taking bikes on Lufhansa connecting via Frankfurt, it's the first time bike goes on a connecting flight, anything to worry about? Any tips / advice?

Previously I used a RaceCase (no problems) which has been replaced by a Evoc bag based on good reviews. I used it to Majorca recently and it worked well.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: *A Gold (LH SEN), Hertz 5*
I recently took my MTB in an EVOC bag from EWR via FRA to BRE. (eco fare)
Didnt get charged, but that might have been because of SEN.

Regular bag came on time, bike came with a few hours delay. But according to Lost and Found it was not a connection issue since the bag didnt make it to the plane in EWR. I suspect that this might be a screening for oversized luggage issue since I had the same situation a couple of month earlier (BOS - FRA - BRE) with my golf bag.

So the only advice would be, to not cut it close and check in the luggage ahead of time.

You might also want to ask for customs regulations - apparently that can cause trouble since most bike you wanna haul across great distances are quite pricy I suspect.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: *A Gold (LH SEN), Hertz 5*
And btw: Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:07 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
I recently took my bike in a hard case within Europe with multiple connections. As a SEN there was no charge.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA SILVER
How are many posters escaping the fee? I'm also SEN and it's been a few years since I was last able to avoid the fee in MUC or anywhere else. I have a hard case. Sometimes for longer trips I go to the trouble of breaking down my full suspension mountain bike into a regular large Rimowa suitcase (frame, fork, etc.) and a second square bike wheel case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.