Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel with a bicycle on Austrian, Lufthansa or Brussels

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2009, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
BTW: volta where do you derive the 50lb from? If the OP flies C or F it's 70lb.[/QUOTE]

As I usually fly Y , this is where it comes from, but never had problems with checking in my bike
Old May 14, 2009, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by totti
If you check it in as a normal bag with piece concept the max. dimension is 158cm (h x w x l). At least from my experience they are not too strict about the dimensions.

Details can be found in the complete baggage regulation thread. Just search for 'bike'!
I did find the details on LH site earlier, but wasn't sure about the flexibility at checking about the dimension. Also, I was looking for some bike cases and only ones I found were larger then the 158 cm total.
Old May 14, 2009, 7:33 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
I never had any issues (I'm SEN) with size of the bike bag (45"x11"x34"). Worked on piece concept fine.

N.B. All my flights never started in Germany.

Last edited by volta; May 14, 2009 at 7:54 pm
Old May 15, 2009, 7:46 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by silversurfer
Medium
15-32 kg and/or 1.41 - 2 m
Excluding free baggage allowance
Europe-Intercontinental
EUR 150 USD/CAD 200 USD/CAD 250
Bicycles, tandems
Diving equipment with tank
Pole vaulting poles
Surf boards
This is the paragraph I was referring to. If you are able to check the bike as normal luggage which is definitely possible than there is no need to pay any fee.

Originally Posted by volta
I never had any issues (I'm SEN) with size of the bike bag (45"x11"x34"). Worked on piece concept fine.

N.B. All my flights never started in Germany.
A friend of mine starts his trips in FRA and never had an issue with his bike (in a hard-case). He is SEN as well.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Bike as part of free Baggage?

Can a bike be checked for free LAX-FRA so long as it does not exceed the weight limit?
Old Jun 28, 2009, 8:06 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
Can a bike be checked for free LAX-FRA so long as it does not exceed the weight limit?
Have a look here:

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...l=en&cid=18002

According to the PDF only small bags are free. Bikes do not fall under this category normally unless your bike is very light and small.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 8:07 pm

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Yes! As long as you don't exceed the number of bags limit and the weight limit per bag.
And it is in a propper bike case - though the case usually exceeds the standard sizing - they might try to charge you - 50 dollar.

But I never had an issue
Old Jun 28, 2009, 8:10 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by roundtheworld
And it is in a propper bike case - though the case usually exceeds the standard sizing - they might try to charge you - 50 dollar.

But I never had an issue
Yes, I noted this and corrected my post. I didn't see the word "small" in the PDF.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:56 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
I had tried to transport my bike from MUC to HAM and they want to charge me 70 EUR. I haven't done it. Instead I rent a bike.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: UA Plat 1MM
I also looking for 2010 information on checking a bicycle USA-Europe (most likely IAD-FRA-CPH). From the info on the LH site, it looks like this will be counted as excess baggage with $200 fee each direction.

My questions:
--Do C or F pax pay this fee?
--Does Star Gold status help?

Thanks for any assistance.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:24 am

Lufthansa & bikes

Hi

I'm flying (economy class) Lufthansa from Orlando, MCO back to Geneva via Frankfurt later this year and am thinking of bringing a mountain bike back with me. I am a Frequent Traveller M&M member.

Will Lufthansa accept a bike as standard luggage (if it's in a proper bike bag) or will they charge me a small fortune for the service?

Thanks
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Most sporting equipment is considered special baggage and needs to be registered and confirmed ahead of your flight. You can find the rules here:
http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Exces...pecial-baggage

According to this PDF it will cost you 200USD/150EUR each way to take a bike. So no, unfortunately they probably won't accept it as a normal bag and charge you a small fortune...
Old Apr 10, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
They definetely do not accept any bikes as part of the free luggage allowance, unless the agent at the airport makes an error.

And you definetely need to get it confirmed prior to your flight, especially since LH does not accept bikes on aircraft with 86 seats or less.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: LH HON
I had a road bike with me in Jan (SZG-FRA-LAX). I inquired before and got the standard response (200 $ one way). I decided to take the chance and walked up to the check-in in SZG (not bringing the bike with me to the check-in). The agent accepted it as regular luggage and checked it without hesitation...

Took the luggage tag, and brought the bike to the bulky luggage, and tagged it myself....

Not sure if this was an agent error, goodwill on side of LH (I had only carry on other than the bike), or status and travel class (HON and C)
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:15 am

Just tell them it is a suitcase if it is packed in a bag / case. I see no justification for charging for bicycles, if they are packed down into a compact case / bag.

I have argued this many times and won.

Last edited by InfiniteCycle; Apr 11, 2011 at 11:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.