Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The evoucher: gpu/swu parity stems from the 1998 United/Lufthansa revenue sharing agreement. Back then you got one for every 50k status miles... neither has cash value for LH.
Both use the same mechanism (like the mileage upgrades) where an electronic upgrade certificate is generated and attached to the PNR even when waitlisted on the day of departure. Altea doesn't attach a pcv to that voucher, the underlying fare, final destination and pax status do that.
Thanks! I knew we could count on you to debunk the myth. So if I’m reading that right, GPU doesn’t grant any ‘priority’, the list is ranked only by those items you list. Curious that final destination is one of the items.

My guess is the genesis of the myth is from agents who saw UA GPU pax higher than pax with a M&M evoucher applied and assumed it was because of the GPU when in reality it was probably from the underlying fare (or other PCV impacting item).
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by jmanirish

My guess is the genesis of the myth is from agents who saw UA GPU pax higher than pax with a M&M evoucher applied and assumed it was because of the GPU when in reality it was probably from the underlying fare (or other PCV impacting item).
Quite possibly the case.

Downside for LH elites is a lot of GPU’s chasing F seats that are getting rarer than Hen’s teeth......
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Oh do tell us more...

Originally Posted by SMK77
I booked a ticket in P and successfully used my UA GPU to upgrade. LH is indeed treating GPU like eVouchers and I take that LH is receiving compensation from UA for each and every GPU so they have an incentive for an equal treatment.
I have 2 LH FRA-ORD segments booked on 747-800s in P class and would love to use my GPUs to upgrade to A or F (or O class). I bought my tickets on United.Com. I have never used my GPUs on LH. Do you contact United or LH to use the GPUs to upgrade from P to F ? Is this request done on a standby basis on the day of travel or does LH upgrade P class in advance? I find it odd that LH will let one use a UA GPU to upgrade a P fare while my numerous attempts to use GPUs at UA are consistently rejected .
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
GPU use on LH is explained here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ht-credit.html
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by oliver2002
THANKS OLIVER !! I followed the instructions and went to the UA website, LH GPU Upgrade section and entered all my info the site and kept getting error messages directing me to UA Reservations. I am afraid to call them as they will quote the old rules on the UA website and not the new rules implemented by LH. FWIW, I bought an LH Flight, On LH Metal with UA (016) Ticket Stock
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by gpicur
THANKS OLIVER !! I followed the instructions and went to the UA website, LH GPU Upgrade section and entered all my info the site and kept getting error messages directing me to UA Reservations. I am afraid to call them as they will quote the old rules on the UA website and not the new rules implemented by LH. FWIW, I bought an LH Flight, On LH Metal with UA (016) Ticket Stock
United has notoriously bad IT. The upgrade interfaces on united.com break down all the time.

Give it a day or two and maybe the system will be back up.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: LX HON***, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black
Any details on F Upgrades on LX only for SEN and HON? Does this rule remains?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
FYI for all you UA conspiracy theorists, tried to upgrade today with UA and agent didn't allow P/Z fare upgrade as they don't see it as being allowed in their system. Called back and still no dice. So hurry and use your evouchers for the GPU's from UA don't seem to be able to work yet.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HKG1111
Yes, LX are still protecting their F cabin 👍
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by schley
FYI for all you UA conspiracy theorists, tried to upgrade today with UA and agent didn't allow P/Z fare upgrade as they don't see it as being allowed in their system. Called back and still no dice. So hurry and use your evouchers for the GPU's from UA don't seem to be able to work yet.
If you had booked with LH you would have been able to subject to avaiability
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Shouldn't need to go through an agent (and IME, agents won't help apply GPUs to LH since it has to go through the website). Just get the flights converted to the LH native #s (if booked on a UA codeshare) and then use the system.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by HKG1111
correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that F awards are exclusive for M&M SEN/HON but that upgrades are also available through the *A upgrade system to other FFP members.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Shouldn't need to go through an agent (and IME, agents won't help apply GPUs to LH since it has to go through the website). Just get the flights converted to the LH native #s (if booked on a UA codeshare) and then use the system.
They are already converted. LH online system populates an error to call in.

I have done the process numerous times now, so I know what you mean certainly, just not working online.. Thus call in is clueless.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
They are already converted. LH online system populates an error to call in.

I have done the process numerous times now, so I know what you mean certainly, just not working online.. Thus call in is clueless.
How did you get them to convert the flight to a LH #? I've been through 5 agents niow, and they all tow UA's policy for GPUs, not LH's new rules (which include P & Z).
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Has anyone recently applied GPU to upgrade LH P or Z? I tried today and the UA website wasn't able to process (Error Code 118).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.