Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles Expiration - How to check online?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Miles Expiration - How to check online?

I found some threads that seem to indicate that expiring miles are somehow marked online. When I log into Lufthansa.com, I use the Account History button to display anything older than the current statement. The history only goes back about 6 months.

Where can I check the expiration of older miles?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I think 3 years of no activity they are gone, you can add and the clock will start over..

Good Question,
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:10 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by michaelr
I found some threads that seem to indicate that expiring miles are somehow marked online. When I log into Lufthansa.com, I use the Account History button to display anything older than the current statement. The history only goes back about 6 months.

Where can I check the expiration of older miles?
Check this post by oliver2002 which includes a screenshot showing the miles expiring in the next 3-6 months. If you don't see this message your miles will be ok for at least 3-6 months.

Originally Posted by satman40
I think 3 years of no activity they are gone, you can add and the clock will start over..

Good Question,
If you don't have status (FTL, SEN, HON) or use a M&M credit card regularly, your award miles expire 36 months after you acquire them. An activity does not reset the clock.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
If you don't have status (FTL, SEN, HON) or use a M&M credit card regularly, your award miles expire 36 months after you acquire them. An activity does not reset the clock.
Slightly related question/sanity check here:

if Miles all expire end Feb 2018 (as is the case for Mrs AITF who lost her FTL status a few years ago), then these are still valid for a reward booking made in January 2018 for a flight in Deccember 2018? i.e the time of booking is more important than the time of travel relative to the expiration date of the mlies...?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:37 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
Slightly related question/sanity check here:

if Miles all expire end Feb 2018 (as is the case for Mrs AITF who lost her FTL status a few years ago), then these are still valid for a reward booking made in January 2018 for a flight in Deccember 2018? i.e the time of booking is more important than the time of travel relative to the expiration date of the mlies...?
I believe miles expire at the end of each quarter so presumably at the end of March 2018 rather than February 2018. Yes, these miles can be used before the expiry date for an award flight in the future, for example in December 2018. I also believe if you have to cancel/change the award the miles will be redeposited in the account to be used by the end of the quarter for a change fee of €50.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:44 am

Looking at this recent thread it looks like they will give you 2~3 months' notice for any miles which are about to expire.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Thanks for that. And yes, you're right, the miles expire at the end of a quarter while the status expires end of February of the following year.

Another thing I do remember, from a previous experience on a reward booking I made when still a SEN (companion award at the time) for the two of us, was that when we travelled, the BPs still showed me as a SEN, even though this was some time after me being a mere FTL and, therefore, we got use of superior lounges!
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:02 pm

Looks like their website has changed, does anyone know if they will still display miles that are expiring soon? I can't even see activity older than 90 days anymore..
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:23 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by James Ben
Looks like their website has changed, does anyone know if they will still display miles that are expiring soon? I can't even see activity older than 90 days anymore..
Here's what I see after clicking under Account and then Miles Expiry:Credit Cards
  • Your award miles will not expire after 36 months, but will remain valid for an unlimited time if you meet the following conditions:
    • You have been a Miles & More Credit Card holder for at least 3 months, and
    • Each month you need to make a minimum of one purchase (that is not returned or refunded) which is eligible for miles with your Miles & More Credit Card.
    • This is only valid for the Miles & More account on which the award miles for the Miles & More Credit Card are credited.
  • If you meet these conditions, none of your award miles will expire - it doesn't matter if you earned/will earn them with flights, purchases or specials offered by other Miles & More partners
  • Expired miles cannot be reactivated by using the Miles & More Credit Card.
  • If one of the above conditions is not met, the mileage expiration is reactivated. The reversion will be announced in your Miles & More account statement and will become effective as of the following quarter. Award miles that were exempted from expiration and/or would have normally expired during this time will remain valid until then.
  • Mileage expiration will be suspended under the above mentioned conditions for the following Miles & More Credit Cards:
I do not see a date under my account, but my many of my miles are about 2.5 yrs old

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Apr 2, 2018 at 8:27 am Reason: added data
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: AA,AS,HH,HY,IB,LH,IHG,MAR,WN
My M&M account now shows "xxxxxx award miles expire on 31.12.2018". The xxxxx matches miles I earned from my USA Barclays Miles & More World Elite MasterCard 36 months ago. I have had credit card transactions resulting in M&M miles added each and every month for 36+ months. The T&C says that should prevent expiration, so I sent an email form request asking why my miles are scheduled to expire. I got a quick autoreply with incident number, but I read in another thread another FT'er said no response after 2 weeks. So I will call M&M today. Backup plan is to book an award ticket 12 months out, but they really should honor their T&C!

Regarding miles tracking, the Account Statement shows most recent 3 months activity. At the bottom, you can click of Account History to show 4 to 15 months back. Both now show the miles expiring. Prior to 36 months of miles history, neither the Account Statement nor the Account History showed the miles expiring.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:58 am

Called M&M and rep checked with supervisor: my miles will not expire if I continue to have credit card activity every month. I asked what if they do expire Dec. 31st as account says, and they said to call to get them restored. They did not have a good answer why system shows that "xxxxxx award miles expire on 31.12.2018". Sounds like an IT glitch to me.

I had told the rep I had already sent in my question by email and had a ticket number, but that did not matter. She looked at my account by the usual verification. Still substantive response by email from M&M, so all this has to be handled by phone.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: LH SEN *
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
Called M&M and rep checked with supervisor: my miles will not expire if I continue to have credit card activity every month. I asked what if they do expire Dec. 31st as account says, and they said to call to get them restored. They did not have a good answer why system shows that "xxxxxx award miles expire on 31.12.2018". Sounds like an IT glitch to me.
it is not a glitch. As long as you use your card at least once a month your miles will not expire and you won't have to restore any. You are getting this message because the bank sends the information about your card activities not after each transaction has been processed but once a month, a few days or more after the monthly statement has been produced. So Miles & More doesn't know yet if you've made the once a month required transaction, and moreover Miles & More doesn't know yet if you continue to do so in the next months. All in all, nothing to worry about, it's just a message which should read: your miles may expire...". This message will soon disappear from your account and after a while a new similar one will come up with another date. That's the system.

Last edited by andywaw; Apr 15, 2021 at 4:12 pm
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by andywaw
it is not a glitch.........nothing to worry about, it's just a message which misses the line "(If you fail to make card transactions,) your miles will expire...". This message will soon disappear from your account and after a while a new similar one will come up with another date. That's the system.
Thanks, very well explained. I am no longer worrying

Last edited by HiYoSilver; Jul 17, 2018 at 6:14 am
Old May 10, 2019, 8:31 am

I just noticed 186K miles were deducted as expired. Within the past month.
I could not find where they listed the expiration date on my account and never received a warning email.
At one point I held status and transferred and redeemed miles over the past few years. The rolling nature confused things.

I just transferred a bunch of Marriott miles to beef up my account for a redemption, but now I fear it is a lost opportunity.

Is there any way to get these back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.