Wiki Posts
Search

VIE departure experiences??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
VIE is or was renown for strictly enforcing the 8kg carry-on rule. If your carry-on weighed more than 8kg, regardless of size, they would not let you through the security checkpoint and send you back to the check-in counter. Not sure if that's still the case, but something to keep in mind.
Never in the last 15 years for me, and I always have much more.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:19 pm

I have seen it a few times within the last year that they took people with trolleys walking towards security to check the weight (not the ones with backpacks only though).
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
VIE is or was renown for strictly enforcing the 8kg carry-on rule. If your carry-on weighed more than 8kg, regardless of size, they would not let you through the security checkpoint and send you back to the check-in counter. Not sure if that's still the case, but something to keep in mind.
OS does sometimes set up scales at security and when they do, they check the weight of carry-ons that aren't sporting a fresh OS "cabin baggage" tag (available at the check-in counter after weighing in there), or anything that looks like it is even thinking about being close to or over 8kg. Depending on the mood of the person checking, they might or might not let you go if you are a little bit over, but if you get checked, and you are over about 10kg, I would plan to re-pack and/or check (my advice based on personal experience).

I generally carry a small (personal-item-sized) computer bag with heavy items like power supplies and power cables along with my small computers (which for me is about 6kg), and I put it inside my carry-on. The combined suite typically weighs out at about 13kg. If I get busted for overweight (which has happened to me a couple of times at VIE), I just pull out the personal item bag and weigh separately, and it was fine. Note: LOT can also be quite strict at check-in, though they officially allow 10kg for business class instead of the normal 8kg.

The OS folks in my experience are very hard with respect to enforcement of carry-on weight restrictions.

Originally Posted by LondonElite

Never in the last 15 years for me, and I always have much more.
Good to hear some have had good experiences in this regard at VIE. I personally have not. My experience only goes back to 2007, but I have been checked more than once, and one time it was a very unpleasant experience, because my bag weighed in at about 12.5kg and had no alternative bag.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:09 pm

Super easy airport in my opinion. Small and efficient with some good coffee and food choices.
N1003U likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
Not sure if we can print boarding passes from the ship but does OS and LOT provide electronic boarding passes through an app for international flights?

With a short connection in BUD, and since we will be on our way home, we may just check our bags and not worry about them. If the bags don’t get transferred in BUD, they’ll have to eventually be delivered to us. (one *A ticket all the way to IAH.)
They are 20 inch carry ons but we don’t want to take the chance of having to gate check them in VIE and then wait for them to be brought up to the jetway in BUD.
OS will provide a pass for VIE-BUD, but I don't know about the LOT connection so I would rather go to a counter.

Also: the self check of the bag that has been mentioned is not at the gate - VIE has a system where you can print your own baggage tag and then just put the bags on the belt at a separate counter, meaning you don't have to wait in line for a common checkin/baggage drop.

With regards to VIE in general, as much as I like it for (*A-*A) transfers, I'm not much of a fan of departing from there. Security is a drag and layout can be somewhat confusing.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk

Also: the self check of the bag that has been mentioned is not at the gate - VIE has a system where you can print your own baggage tag and then just put the bags on the belt at a separate counter, meaning you don't have to wait in line for a common checkin/baggage drop.
I'm leaning toward just checking our bags all the way through to IAH and hope they make it. With a 45 minute connection in BUD, I don't want to be hassled over the bags or slowed down at security between flights. However, I'm still not clear if there even IS security between flights. OS arrives 2A. Lot Departs 2A.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I'm leaning toward just checking our bags all the way through to IAH and hope they make it. With a 45 minute connection in BUD, I don't want to be hassled over the bags or slowed down at security between flights. However, I'm still not clear if there even IS security between flights. OS arrives 2A. Lot Departs 2A.
I'm not sure it's right LOT departs 2A. 2A is the Schengen terminal.

LOT flight to Warsaw would depart 2A, not the LOT flight to ORD. That ought to be 2B.
Still there might be no security, just passport control... I don't quite remember how the security setup was in 2B, and either way it's like 2 years since I last departed from there. I do know that my 2A arrivals threw me out in secure area.

One way or another. 45 minutes is apparently underover MCT for your connection. BUD is a small enough airport that this feels correct. And as you said... worst case, you'll get your bags delivered to home. If I were you, I'd check them in as well.

Last edited by Fabo.sk; Mar 19, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
There will be immigration for sure since you will be leaving Schengen and hence Europe in BUD. Since it is flight to great USA, there might be a extra security check too... Again, this was already answered in your other thread, so I am at loss why are you speculating and asking again Connection time in BUD
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
LOT flight to Warsaw would depart 2A, not the LOT flight to ORD. That ought to be 2B.
Correct.

With regards to VIE in general, as much as I like it for (*A-*A) transfers, I'm not much of a fan of departing from there.
The issue I had at VIE was the seating area at the departure gates is too small, and the boarding process insanely chaotic. I would think this much a less a concern in the context of loading a Dash 8 or RJ9 to BUD as opposed to a 777 to the U.S.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Has it been confirmed with the OP if both flights are on one ticket? That would change a lot.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Has it been confirmed with the OP if both flights are on one ticket? That would change a lot.
It has been confirmed in the other thread to which I am trying to alert him/her...
Yoshi212 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.