Can anyone help me get from London, UK to Almaty, Kazakhstan?

Old Mar 13, 18, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: None
Can anyone help me get from London, UK to Almaty, Kazakhstan?

I live in London, UK and I partake in as many Taekwondo competitions as I can get to. Taekwondo is a martial art from Korea. UK competitions are easy to get to but the foreign ones are trickier.
I grew up in foster care thus do not have any family. Friends help out when they can. Thus I am resorting to an unconventional request like this.

Almaty, Kazakhstan hosts the Asia competition next weekend. I met some of the competitors at a competition in Latvia and they agreed to host me. However, I cannot afford the flight.
Someone from the forum previously bought me a flight to Spain and I got silver at their competition. I would never have made it to Spain without their help!

As Taekwondo is from Asia, I think an Asian competition will tell me if I really do have any talent. The European competitions can be very sloppy.
Lufthansa seem to be the cheapest airline and quoted me a rreturn flight of about 300.

Thanks for reading.
Old Mar 13, 18, 2:52 pm

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S), SK, BA; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by theronstar View Post
Someone from the forum previously bought me a flight to Spain....
How is that possible if this is your very first post?
Perhaps you were banned under a previous username? (easily possible when making posts like yours)

And flights from UK to Spain can be bought for a few quid from the ULCCs so I can't believe it was impossible for you to get to Spain without some FTer paying for you.
Old Mar 13, 18, 3:36 pm

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by yurtripper View Post
How is that possible if this is your very first post?
Perhaps you were banned under a previous username? (easily possible when making posts like yours)

And flights from UK to Spain can be bought for a few quid from the ULCCs so I can't believe it was impossible for you to get to Spain without some FTer paying for you.
I suppose he means a forum, not necessarily this forum.

I still wonder why anyone would want to buy a ticket to Astana on the next weekend for a random one post user. (btw. if you are any good, isn't this what sponsorships are for?)
Old Mar 13, 18, 4:12 pm

Not to mention waiting until NOW to ask for help for flights in a couple of days...
No offence but maybe a bit more work and a bit less taekwondo?

(And before you label me as a nasty person I too am an amateur sportsperson who travels to as many competitions as I can..self funded.. but it costs me a lot more because I live in Australia... I'd love to be able to just "nip over" to Europe for a comp!)
Old Mar 13, 18, 5:20 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Some people are very creative
Old Mar 13, 18, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

@yurtripper. My other post got taken down. However another member had seen and responded to the post before it had got taken down.
Flights with ULCC are dirt cheap when you book them in advance and are only carrying hand luggage. That was not the case. Then there is competition fees / accommodation / insurance.
His help meant that I focused on those things.
@Fabo.sk. I think athletes are in a catch 22. When they hit the big time e.g. Michael Phelps, sponsors throw themselves at their feet. On the way up they have to fund themselves. Talented ones do drop off.

This point holds all the more strongly in martial arts because they are so fragmented. All over the world groups keep running competitions and then name their winner things like "world champion." It is very difficult to solicit sponsors when there an abundance of 'champions' knocking at their doors.
@trooper. Martial arts are a way of life for Asian people. There are an abundance of McDojos (poor quality schools) in the West, so it was only after several consecutive European competitions that I 'dare' to go up against them. Entries are alllowed up until this weekend so the horse has not quite bolted the stable door.

I have gone to two European mainland competitions and two UK based competitions this year. I do indeed work but attempting the transition from amateur to professional is where I am hitting the glass ceiling. You are not being nasty. You are annoyed at someone who appears to be trying to get a free holiday out of you.
@vbroucek. I am being serious but for whatever reason it is not coming across that way.
Old Mar 14, 18, 9:15 am

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S), SK, BA; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Even if your story checks out, you would be better off in future posting your mission on a crowdfunding site where people might be interested in funding your Taekwondo adventures.

As others have said, asking someone on this forum to comp you a flight just a few days before your trip doesn't make any sense, especially as flights get way more expensive towards T-0. It's not as if Almaty is Alicante.
Old Mar 14, 18, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

@yurtripper If my story does not check out for you then it is safe to stay that it does not check out for anyone else. I suppose that I could go on a crowdfunding site but those tend to have really graphic stories e.g. my house burnt down or I was involved in a car crash and I lack medical insurance.... I could not 'compete' with them.

I felt that because my situation had a flight element to it, it was less likely to get lost in 'noise' over here than one of those.

P.S. My request would have been on the adventurous side if I had decided that I wanted to compete any earlier on. My last competition was a few days ago and that was when I gave it serious thought.

Funny that you threw Alicante at me. They too host a competition (next weekend) on the same day as Almaty. I considered it as a backup because my friend has an apartment there. It's a direct flight and the journey is a hell of a lot shorter. Somehow the flight costs twice as much.

Probably a topic for another thread or it's likely I will find one if I search for it. With the exception of a walk on fare, I think that ticket prices are very volatile.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: