Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa introduces “A la carte dining“ meals in Economy and Premium Economy Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa introduces “A la carte dining“ meals in Economy and Premium Economy Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN *

From summer 2018 Lufthansa Economy and Premium Economy Class passengers will be able to order one of seven selected “A la carte dining” meals on long-haul flights for an extra charge.

Whether gourmet menu with grilled steak, Bento Box with a selection of classic Japanese sushi specialities, hearty Bavarian snacks, Asian vitality menu with quinoa, Mediterranean pasta with shrimp or exotic Thai curry: there are different menu varia-tions to choose from, depending on your taste and preference. They are served to the passenger on stylish porcelain.

The multi-course menus are offered on almost all Lufthansa intercontinental flights from Frankfurt and Munich and are served on order instead of the regular first meal. They cost between 19 and 33 euros and are expected to be available from May 2018. The “A la carte dining” meals can be booked on lufthansa.com up to 24 hours before departure.

The “A la carte dining” meals do not replace the existing food and drink offerings in Economy and Premium Economy Class, but complement them at the passengers' individual request. Availability per flight is limited.
N1003U likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
This is a copy of the OS pre order offering that Do&Co is operating since some years.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
19-33 Euros is a fair bit of money. The food had better be really good for that cost. I know I would never pay that much on an economy flight to upgrade my meal. With OS, I have been occasionally tempted but that has been when the alternative is nothing (or my choice of an apple or a bag or pretzels).
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:29 am

Probably means the "free" choices are further reduced, snacks in galley enhanced, etc. - guess LH thinks the lemon can be squeezed a bit more..
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:45 am
Original Poster

I can already see an online "A La Carte Dining" paid offer for my August 2018 LH PE flight FRA-DTW (but it's not offered on the return DTW-FRA flight).
The offered meals include:

Classic Cuisine - Delight your sense of taste with this heavenly gourmet menu – orange and fennel salad with dill as a starter and grilled beef fillet steak with peppercorn jus, green beans and Pommes Anna as the main course. For dessert, enjoy a classic Bavarian cream dessert with raspberry sauce.

Mediterranean Delights - Treat yourself to a three-course meal of Mediterranean delicacies – fresh leaf salad with balsamic dressing, sautéed king prawns and artichokes on spaghetti in a tomato and basil sauce. For dessert, enjoy fine tiramisu.

Healthy Selection - Healthy and full of vitality – treat your body and soul to a colorful selection of freshness. Start with a chickpea and matcha salad and then enjoy a spicy, red vegetable curry on quinoa. A chia seed and mango mousse dessert provides the perfect finishing touch to our Healthy Selection menu.

Bavarian Brotzeit - Enjoy Bavarian Gemütlichkeit above the clouds with this hearty platter – veal meatballs, chicken liver terrine and smoked sausages served with ‘Obazda’, a cream cheese delicacy, typical semi-hard cheese, pretzel bun and bread roll. We then serve delicious Bavarian cream dessert with raspberry sauce.

Catch of the day - Cast your line and catch a special taste sensation – fresh green salad with balsamic dressing and pan-fried cod on Pommery mustard sauce, served with ginger cucumber and parsley potatoes. For dessert, enjoy semolina flummery with marinated strawberries.

Aroma of Asia - Spoil your senses with a variety of Asian aromas. Your culinary journey begins with glass noodle and cashew nut salad on a sesame and soy dressing, followed by Thai chicken curry, stir-fried vegetables and jasmine rice. For dessert, we will be serving mango and passion fruit ragout on exotic coconut crème.

Japanese Bento Box - Make a culinary excursion to the ‘Land of the Rising Sun’ and enjoy traditional Japanese cuisine. We serve you a salad of soba noodles, miso and edamame along with a selection of sushi specialties including maki, nigiri and California rolls.

The cheapest option is Bavarian Brotzeit, the most expensive is Japanese Bento Box.

Last edited by andywaw; May 18, 2018 at 12:00 am
Old May 8, 2018, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
This is a copy of the OS pre order offering that Do&Co is operating since some years.
The difference is that on OS the pre-ordered food is served instead of the standard meal.
LH claims their “A la Carte meals do not replace the existing food and drink offerings".

Contrary to the original news, I just confirmed with LH - the à la carte dining option replaces the first meal service.
I'm nevertheless tempted to test it on one of my LH flights this summer.

Last edited by andywaw; May 8, 2018 at 5:17 am
Old May 17, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: Miles and More
Did anyone end up trying it? I am flying them next week and I was curious if it was worth the money, I tried the paid meal by KLM and it was NOT worth the money
Old May 19, 2018, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also curious, if this all is served on all-real china as pictured?
Old May 19, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: Miles and More
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Also curious, if this all is served on all-real china as pictured?
yes because economy premium food is served in pretty good quality cutlery
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

I ordered the Aroma of Asia dish and it was delicious. Travelled in Premium Economy. The meal is served on real china, including black one which is different from china on "regular" trays. The amount of food is considerably bigger and it was very good quality. The flight attendant brought me a glass of white wine from Business Class (choice of two) and refilled it. She kept checking if I enjoyed the meal, I assumed it was rare that they dealt with the Pre-ordered A la Carte meal on board. All in all, I will do it again if I have a chance.
mcfly22 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: LX SEN
Looks like « C class food », but all served together, including the nuts that go with the pre-meal drinks, except that there was no starter and no cheese. Looks good indeed.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:40 am
Original Poster

I think the starter was the yummy thin noodles salad with cashew nuts, top of the tray next to the dessert
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Try as I might, I don't see 19-33 Euros on that plate, so they won't be getting my money--but, alas, others may see what I don't. We'll see what the future holds.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:20 am

We will try it out, looks good ^
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:15 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Grog
Try as I might, I don't see 19-33 Euros on that plate, so they won't be getting my money--but, alas, others may see what I don't. We'll see what the future holds.
For me the standard dish is sufficiently good to not warrant paying another 19-33€ for something else. To each his own...

HTB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.