Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa and Austrian Airlines introduce "preferred seat zone" on long-haul flights

Lufthansa and Austrian Airlines introduce "preferred seat zone" on long-haul flights

Old Feb 22, 18, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LX SEN

https://newsroom.lufthansagroup.com/...3-29983c491477

Lufthansa and Austrian Airlines make it possible to arrive even faster at the destination: With an Economy Class booking in the preferred seat zone - directly behind the Business or Premium Economy Class and thus closer to the exit.

After SWISS, Lufthansa and Austrian Airlines will also be offering the option of booking a seat in the preferred seat zone in the first rows of Economy Class on their long-haul flights (sales starts 20 February 2018 for travel from 7 March 2018 onwards). The price is based on the distance and ranges from 30 to 50 euros per segment. HON Circle Members and Senators can reserve a seat free of charge (depending on availability).

unquote

Obviously, LX was making some bucks on that product... But, unlike LX, LH and OS only introduced it on long haul flights.
Old Feb 27, 18, 3:46 pm

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Available seats for existing Vs new booking

Hi all,

Hope someone can help me understand what's going on here. I am booked on an A380 flight about 2 weeks from now, and initially I had selected a Standard seat (cost me 25 euros). As I usually do, I set up a seat alert in expertflyer, watching out for the upper deck seats (which are all 'Preferred' and were blocked at the time of booking). Today the alert notified me that the seats had been released, but when I logged in to my booking, they are still not available.

As a sanity check, I started a dummy booking for the *same* flight, and the seats are available for purchase (they cost 50 euros)! The seat map shown in the new booking matches expertflyer's exactly. What's going on? Why can't I upgrade to these 'preferred' seats in my existing booking, yet I can select them in a new booking? Though it probably makes no difference, I should point out that I am *G (not LH), and the dummy booking was made with no status at all.

Here are the screenshots:

Existing booking.

New booking.
Old Feb 28, 18, 1:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH introduced the 'preferred' seat concept this month. Since you already paid for a standard seat you can't select a different one.
Old Feb 28, 18, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
LH introduced the 'preferred' seat concept this month. Since you already paid for a standard seat you can't select a different one.
Thank you, that makes sense. Still, I will give them a call on the off-chance I can get it done over the phone.

Another newbie question: Do you know if all seats open at OLCI without charge (preferred or otherwise)?
Old Feb 28, 18, 3:55 am

All seats should open for checkin at T-48h. Preferred used to be available only to SEH/HON/*G. Last weekend a UA*G friend of mine got to change to emergency exit seats the moment the OLCI system recognised his status.
Old Feb 28, 18, 4:59 am

All seats should open for checkin at T-48h. Preferred used to be available only to SEH/HON/*G. Last weekend a UA*G friend of mine got to change to emergency exit seats the moment the OLCI system recognised his status.
Great to know. In a way, it's good that existing bookings don't get to change their seats, because it means that I will very likely a good choice of seats for free at OLCI! Thanks again for your valuable insight.
Old Feb 28, 18, 7:05 am

Looks like I have a similar problem - exit row seats are blocked for me on an LH flight almost 2 months from now. Same seats are available for purchase on LH.com. I'm LH SEN. Ticket booked with UA, does it matter?
Old Feb 28, 18, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by dtbe View Post
Ticket booked with UA, does it matter?
Yes. Just call the SEN line, they can assign seats easily.
Old Feb 28, 18, 2:58 pm

Yes. Just call the SEN line, they can assign seats easily.
Finding the number was the hardest part. Then the seat reservation was done quickly. Plus the preferred zone is available in the app now. Thanks!
Old Mar 1, 18, 10:17 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Thanks to Nic23, blackball and Oliver2002 for reporting this change in seat reservation charges/policy.

It's a great move of Lufty for getting more revenue. Not an "industry first" due to the fact that
BA has this policy in practice especially in J / Club World.

There the seat reservation charge is depending on the row and/or deck you try to allocate if you are
a non-status customer.

Also answered my question in an independent question regarding MUC->TXL/10MAR on an a/c with four class seating and two class service.

Best regards

gum
Old Mar 3, 18, 9:28 am

Paying for an even better seat on Lufthansa unavailable online after already paying?

Hello all! We are flying from Newark to Munich for Oktoberfest. When we originally chose our seats. Preferred and More Legroom seats were showing as available. We originally chose the Preferred seats but now have decided we want the More Legroom seats. They currently show online as unavailable to book, however we have confirmed on other websites as well as by phone with Lufthansa that they are still available. The agent we spoke to said the $45 we already paid (3 of us $135 total) each way would not be refunded and we would have to pay the full amount of the cost and loose the 45$ each. Does that make sense? Shouldn't we just have to pay the difference? ($100-$45=$55 each) It is also strange that it no longer will allow us to do it online. Should we call and speak to another agent? Thanks for the information!
Old May 5, 18, 3:22 pm

Angry

I started booking a flight FRA-CPT-FRA for myself (SEN) and my son (no status). I reserved 2 "more legroom" seats which showed no charge. It was only at the very end of the booking process that I got a message that an extra €25 per seat was being added for my son's seats.

I have booked many similar flights on LH, but this is the first time I have encountered this. Is this new?
Old May 5, 18, 3:34 pm

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by deano1 View Post
I started booking a flight FRA-CPT-FRA for myself (SEN) and my son (no status). I reserved 2 "more legroom" seats which showed no charge. It was only at the very end of the booking process that I got a message that an extra €25 per seat was being added for my son's seats.

I have booked many similar flights on LH, but this is the first time I have encountered this. Is this new?
Maybe another recent ‘enhancement ‘ hopefully not

Just booked my Family of 5 & we received all ‘preferred seating’ intra EU though.

Suggest you call the SEN line & run it past them ?
deano1 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: